NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overheating Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overheating Issue
    Posted: June-05-2020 at 10:52am
My brother has a 1980 Century Resorter in mint condition. It has a Mercruiser 255, GM 350. It will occasionally over heat when idling. The block gets hot, but the exhaust manifolds remain cool. Bringing it up to 3000 rpm or more resolves it. There is no thermostat in the engine. What would cause that?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 10:57am
Air leak
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 1:34pm
Lack of cooling water
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 6:34pm
The rubber exhaust hoses on my 1988 Nautique burned holes in them from the hot air/lack of water due to rust accumulation in my exhaust manifolds - had to replace the hoses and cast iron mainfolds. Be careful not to get water in the engine manifold area if you take them off.

My boat did skiing in the Singapore harbor, so the salt water did it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic