NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bogging during throttle down

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bogging during throttle down
    Posted: June-05-2020 at 6:43pm
1988 SN 2001 w PCM 351.

When I push the throttle down the engine bogs down and sometimes dies. I can rev it in neutral, but when in gear there is not enough power to pull a skier out and without a skier the boat struggles to move. It will die after a long idle too. Starts up quickly with starter fluid.

It first did this on the first run after de-winterization, I put in 1/2 tank new 92 oct fuel (never had a problem with alcohol fuel in the past) + sea foam and ran tested it for 30 minutes in the water and it was clearly fixed.

Worked well the next time out too.

The next time out, it worked for 1/4 tank and then came back.
Put in more sea foam but didn't fix it.

Any ideas?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 8:48pm
David,
Do you know if the carb has ever been rebuilt? Sounds like it may need one. You can also check to see if the accelerator pump is working. When you give it gas, you should be able to look down the throat of the carb and see gas squirting

Lay off the starter fluid. Worst thing you can spray into and engine. The high solvency washes the oil off the walls of the cylinders.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2020 at 11:21pm
Also check water separator & anti-siphon valve. They may be impeding fuel flow.   Then there are distributor springs that get rusty too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 11:52am
I'm hoping this thread will help me as well....last summer my "89 started coughing and bogging down a few times under normal throttle....if it didn't start back immediately...it would crank after I let it sit for a few mins and maybe a little choke...that only happened a few times on one particular day...after that, I had no issues the rest of the Summer...fast forward to Thurs when I finally got the chance to put in for the first time...it cranked no problems...I idled for a bit then drove a short ways to the marina to fill up....drove around 20-25mph for 10-15mins then it bogged down again....this continued to happen multiple times the rest of the afternoon and I ended up using the better part of the afternoon trying to diagnose when it was specifically happening....

It idles great....engaging into gear and low speeds 5-15 mph it doesn't burp at all....upwards of 20+ it can run for 2-5mins like a top then all of a sudden it will bog down and shut off ...same thing...will either crank back up immediately or with a bit of choke...if not, I can let it sit for 3-4 mins and it will crank right up like nothing happened.

Hoping to get some direction and not start throwing parts at it unknowingly...thanks for the advice.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 12:29pm
Cam,
Just for clarification to avoid any confusion, when you say "crank", you mean engine is running? The typical use of "crank" is the starter is ungauged turning the engine over but the engine isn't running yet.

He's cranking:

How are you choking the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Cam,
Just for clarification to avoid any confusion, when you say "crank", you mean engine is running? The typical use of "crank" is the starter is ungauged turning the engine over but the engine isn't running yet.

He's cranking:

How are you choking the engine?

You gotta find some new material....you posted the exact same thing on my thread from last Sept discussing this same issue.

Crank/ Start/ Choke.....you know what I mean and with all due respect, I would rather have your advice on these issues versus old worn out jokes....the sooner the repair the sooner we're all back on the water....since you're full of jokes,...do you have any advice?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 1:43pm
You keep using that word. I dont think it means what you think it means.

Cam you have a fuel flow issue. Likely right at the tank outlet of a mud wasp clogged your tank vent

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Cam05210 Cam05210 wrote:

You gotta find some new material....you posted the exact same thing on my thread from last Sept discussing this same issue.

Crank/ Start/ Choke.....you know what I mean and with all due respect, I would rather have your advice on these issues versus old worn out jokes....the sooner the repair the sooner we're all back on the water....since you're full of jokes,...do you have any advice?

Cam,
Sorry but evidently you didn't get the meaning the first time. My pointing out the difference wasn't a joke. As mentioned, it is a attempt to clarify. "crank/start/choke all have different meanings.
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

You keep using that word. I dont think it means what you think it means.

My advice? When it happens again, check for spark and fuel. Then we can go with a direction.

BTW, You should have an automatic choke and the reason I asked how you are choking the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 3:13pm
Sorry....I'm 19yrs in the auto industry so I understand what you're saying and certainly not trying to be a jerk.......its just difficult to find someone who's knowledgeable about these older models or willing to work on them which is why I come here for advice ...

Cranking - Starting/ turning key
Choking- pumping the throttle lever while in neutral

I was watching all gauges and everything was where it should have been regarding temps, oil pressure so I guess will start with the fuel filter and work backwards. Just weird that it runs great....then all of a sudden it drops....then runs great again....etc.
Brian0445 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian0445 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 3:19pm
If you bring the engine back to idle when it starts to bog down will the engine continue to idle. I had what sounds to be the same issue on my 92 excel. The issue was float needle valve assembly was plugged with what looked like leaves or organic material of some sort. If possible run on a external fuel tank hooked to the mechanical fuel pump. This will eliminate any issues with your fuel system up to the mechanical pump. If the issue continues then you don't have a tank, anti siphon valve, tank vent, or line issue. Next I would check the mechanical pump pressure. I tested mine and read 6psi, but I replaced for "troubleshooting" as it was the original. If that tests good, then most likely a carb issue. I would also double check your timing, pull spark plugs and replace if needed.
92 Nautique Excel Open Bow
351W, DUI Distributor Conversion
Wake Tower
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 4:40pm
When it begins to gurgle and I put it in neutral...it seems like its trying to work itself out...but then it will shut down..
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2020 at 9:47pm
I would start at the tank anti-siphon valve, if you haven't already done that. It needs to be looked at/cleaned anyway, is easy, and the specific problem it causes is bogging at higher load/rpm and then difficulty recovering. Brian's suggestion of running off a small remote tank is a good one, eliminates a few possibly causes, but like he said if you aren't able to do that start at the tank and move forward.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2020 at 7:47am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete even wore long sleeved white shirts as a youngster

Right after that picture was taken the crank got him in the privates [/QUOTE]

Cam

I just figured I'd borrow this from last years thread and also mention that in spite of whatever terminology you used, anybody with the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader could read your post and figure out that your engine was started and running Just Pete being Pete

And , since you mentioned last year not knowing what an anti siphon valve was, here's a picture of one.

It looks like a barbed hose fitting at the top of your tank and the fuel line is hooked to it.

You unscrew it from the tank to check for debris, and while it's off the tank, blow some air backwards into the tank to ensure the suction line in the tank is clear or pull the suction from the tank to be sure it's clear.

The portable tank hookup is a good idea, just make sure the tank is vented, otherwise the fuel pump will draw a vacuum in the tank and will stop pumping as you get too much vacuum and you'll think the pump is bad..

You'll be out "cranking" around the lake in no time

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2020 at 9:43am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

in spite of whatever terminology you used, anybody with the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader could read your post and figure out that your engine was started and running

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It's always a pleasure to help you out with your daily head fix.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2020 at 10:07am
Thanks to everyone - lots of work to do.
Cam05210 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cam05210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 11:18am
I truly appreciate this information....hope this turns out to be a quick/cheap fix!! Thanks,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic