Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chrysler oil pump shaft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chrysler oil pump shaft
    Posted: June-15-2020 at 12:09pm
does anyone have a part number for the oil pump drive shaft on
a chrysler 273 reverse rotation engine
philip thompson
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 12:48pm
Philip,
Do you have the RR gear you can swap to a new shaft?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 1:16pm
yes i do and the gear is in good shape. philip
philip thompson
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2020 at 1:24pm
the one i have looks different than what i find online didnt know if the shafts were different
philip thompson
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2020 at 9:56pm
I am thinking about grinding the shaft down and making a custom bushing. So
No one knows where to get this part?
philip thompson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2020 at 10:20pm
How about a picture of what you're talking about?

Even if it's in a link to what you think is different, post a picture of something

If you're referring to the shaft without a gear on it, it should be the same as an automotive normal rotation shaft since the relationship between the camshaft, the oil pump drive gear and it's shaft and the oil pump is the same   
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2020 at 11:45pm
Mopars do not have the gears on the dizzy shafts. The gear and oil pump shaft are one part and the bottom of the dizzy has a flat insert that goes into the gear. I’ve never messed with a RR Mopar in that regard but I do know they have a collar installed to keep the gear/shaft from pushing up on the dizzy which also means the marine dizzy all have longer shafts. Joe will know more about the RR gears.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 12:56am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Mopars do not have the gears on the dizzy shafts. The gear and oil pump shaft are one part and the bottom of the dizzy has a flat insert that goes into the gear. I’ve never messed with a RR Mopar in that regard but I do know they have a collar installed to keep the gear/shaft from pushing up on the dizzy which also means the marine dizzy all have longer shafts. Joe will know more about the RR gears.

That's why a picture would be good, to help know what he's looking for.

There might even be an old thread about this collar and corresponding distributor shaft length. Click on the link below

link

But the oil pump shaft that the gear attaches to is the same length except the gear is cut for RR    Edit..............this sentence of mine isn't right , keep reading the thread
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 1:17am
Be careful with that /// gear. There hard to find.
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 9:38am
i will get a picture and some measurements up today. philip
philip thompson
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 10:42am
here is the shaft measuring the over all length and subtracting the recess in the end
the shaft itself is 9.0 inches long the whole thing is 9.220
the worn spot is .006 under i an thinking about grinding the shaft od until
it cleans up and custom making a new bronze bushing. philip
philip thompson
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 11:09am
the melling shaft for a car engine part number is is-72 and it is 8.680 long.
no good. philip
philip thompson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by philip philip wrote:

here is the shaft measuring the over all length and subtracting the recess in the end
the shaft itself is 9.0 inches long the whole thing is 9.220
the worn spot is .006 under i an thinking about grinding the shaft od until
it cleans up and custom making a new bronze bushing. philip

In this case I figure a picture is worth a thousand words and roughly a half inch.

Your gear has the raised section on top that a normal rotation melling IS72 automotive one doesn't have. Probably about a half inch so the shaft needs to be correspondingly longer. Chrysler had 2 different length distributors and used a thrust spacer on the RR engines and I think the length differences are all related to that

You could call the place in the link who claim to have a complete inventory of 318 parts, a lot of which are the same as your 273 and maybe they can help out, otherwise your machining plan sounds good.

link
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 1:07pm
thanks for the link this thing has an electronic mallory dizzy in it
philip thompson
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2020 at 2:45pm
he had one. it aint cheap but i got it. philip
philip thompson
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 8:23am

he had one. it aint cheap but i got it. philip

I guess you got lucky, got a new shaft and found a place with a good parts supply for an old Chrysler marine engine

How about a picture of the distributor showing a measurement of the shaft length and a picture of the thrust collar too so it'll help the next guy that comes along with this type issue.
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 10:23am
it is a used shaft but the guy said it was not worn. i will get some details up
later
philip thompson
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 2:45pm
Nice job keno. I was not sure where to send him, forgot about Harry’s
Phillip, Harry can also Rebiuld your oem distributor
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2020 at 2:54pm
its got an electronic mallory on it. philip
philip thompson
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2020 at 11:05am
Yes. But good to have your oem in good condition for backup
If you have it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2020 at 12:14pm
Phillip,
Your a machinist so you should have just grabbed a piece of 4140 and made one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
philip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2020 at 6:07pm
what i should have done is ground the shaft down and made a custom bushing.
but at least i have a spare. i do not have the oe distributor. thanks to all for the help
it was not too bad 85.00 for the shaft with gear. philip
philip thompson
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2020 at 6:23pm

it was not too bad 85.00 for the shaft with gear. philip

With the gear, I'd say that's a fair price.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic