NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'89 2001 transmission replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '89 2001 transmission replacement
    Posted: June-21-2021 at 8:54pm
Looking for help/recommendations fitting PCM 80A into engine compartment...Original transmission (PCM 40A, 1.23:1) needed replacement in a '89 2001. I used the PCM 80A and can't get the motor box to close all the way (currently the crankshaft pully bolts, rub the motor box.  The new transmission has a 90 degree elbow/hydraulic line on the top of the transmission.  I raised the muffler to account for the 90 degree elbow but the motor box seems to hit the muffler and not come down/forward enough.  
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2021 at 6:41am
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger Wink

Here's a link to a recent thread with the same problem, he modified the bottom of the muffler for clearance.

His was a 1990 but had the same lack of clearance issue

There have been others with the same issue for the same reason too

link
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2021 at 10:57am
Another option would be a muffler delete.  I deleted the muffler on my '89 and was very happy with the results.  I was a little worried it was going to be too loud but in my opinion it was just right, not too loud but sounded like it should.  All you need is some exhaust tubing and a "Y" pipe.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2021 at 12:40pm
There might even be mention of the muffler delete in the link in the previous post complete with a picture Wink
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2022 at 7:46pm
Long story short...It's been a while but I modified a muffler, Thanks for the input. 

Would someone please measure the length of the 3in hose connecting to the muffler to the exhaust manifolds? I need to know the set back of the muffler to get it in the correct place to fit within the motor box. (mine is too far aft currently).   

Also looking for pictures for the location of metal bracket on floor behind motor where the motor box rubber hinges slide into. MIne got moved around and I need to get them back to the correct placement

wkeith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkeith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2022 at 8:53am
On my 1990 SN the 3" hose is 5" on each side. I took pictures, but can't figure out how to load. I'll be glad to forward to your email.
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2022 at 3:23pm
Thanks everyone.  One last thing and the install is complete... Would someone please provide a picture of where/how the muffler supports (?) mount under the muffler?  They are brackets on a threaded bolt vic of the hull motor mounts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic