Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1990 Ski Nautique Starter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ghamlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghamlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 Ski Nautique Starter
    Posted: April-13-2022 at 7:54pm
I have a 1990 Ski Nautique with a PCM 351W.  I am having problems with the starter.  Every once in a while it gets stuck and will not disengage.  I am hoping to replace the starter as the previous owner had installed a non-marine starter and I would like to switch to a marine one and hopefully fix the problem.  My question is whether to get a LH or RH.  After looking at the engine tag and reading forum posts I decided it was LH based on model number.  I looked at the specs of the car starter he had put on it and it is clockwise which made me confused.  I thought clockwise was RH.  Most of the posts I see about these years of PCM were mostly LH.  Is there anything in these pictures that should steer me away from a LH starter?  Or I might be completely wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Any tips on fixing the stuck engaged starter problem would be very helpful too. Thanks!

Ghamlin
ghamlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghamlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 8:03pm
The part number for the car starter on it is DL3524A which is listed on AutoZone as clockwise
Ghamlin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 8:34pm

Your normal rotation engine and all 351w auto engines take a Right hand rotating starter. Due to the mounting position and how starter rotation is viewed a RH or clockwise starter is the right one

The best thing you could do is to get an ARCO 70200 starter or a marine equivalent to the ARCO.

Some of it's advantages are, it's smaller, draws less current, spins the engine faster, is lighter and easier to install due to the size and lightness. It takes a small minor wiring change that's spelled out in the instructions.

Ford and PCM started using this style starter in about 1993.

The picture below explains starter rotation

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 8:41pm
If you put the new one on and it sticks too, then it's time to post back here Wink
ghamlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghamlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2022 at 8:54pm
That picture helps a ton! Thanks. Just ordered the ARCO
Ghamlin
TucsonMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TucsonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2022 at 9:38pm
The marine one will have features that prevent it from igniting fuel vapors. More expensive, but a good idea. Marine alternators have those same features.
SkierMike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic