Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring and starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Charlie1717 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring and starting issue
    Posted: May-28-2022 at 9:35pm
Hey all! Welp this winter some squirrels found there way into the engine bay and made quite the home. I got it all cleaned out and found a handful of chewed through wires. I spliced in new wire, although some of the wire colors were extremely similar.   

Now trying to start it for the first time, when I turn the key to accessory it begins to turn over on its own (hasn’t started).

Curious on where to start? Did I potentially goof some of the chewed wires? Starter selenoid? Ignition switch? Grabbing my volt meter tomorrow and going to start poking around.

1984 southwind 351 Windsor
--
Charlie
1984 Southwind
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2022 at 7:39am

Print out one of these diagrams to take along with the voltmeter. it's a good diagram for your 84

Might be a silly question but why would you turn the key to accessory.?

You would have the key in OFF, then turn through the RUN position to the START position and release it back to RUN.

If you have an ACC position, it would be to the left of the OFF position and it should never come into play when starting the engine.

I'd be looking at the purple wire from the key switch and also the solenoid wiring.

It sounds like your purple is going to the solenoid "S" terminal as a guess

Charlie1717 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie1717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2022 at 11:00pm
Thank you for the diagram! You were right on the accessory position, I meant run 🤦‍♂️

I figured it out today, ended up getting some wires crossed, the old wires bleed over each other giving me 3 purple/pink wires that all looked the same! Got them sorted and boat fired right up. Thank you!!
--
Charlie
1984 Southwind
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2022 at 5:39am
Thank TRBenj, he made the diagram many tears ago  Wink

It makes issues like this a lot easier to figure out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic