Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Replacement 86 Silver Nautique.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2024 at 11:29pm
Getting closer now!  Terrific work and attention to detail.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2024 at 8:26am
Outstanding
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2024 at 2:10pm
Anyone install the Flex Gland dripless shaft seal system?

Looks simple, isn't outrageously expensive and doesn't require plumbing hookups.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew
Builder
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2024 at 2:14pm
Not hearing great things on those. Glide sounds like a safer bet for a few bucks more- and isn’t dry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2024 at 6:24pm
I decided to just stay with the old packing system though I did buy some type of graphite packing instead of the waxed cord.

Boat has been at the marine shop to have the engine installed for almost 2 weeks and it’s still sitting in their yard.  I’ve dropped by and done some minor stuff while it’s sitting there but really want it back at my house so I can finish it up.  Meanwhile I’ve been taking care of small items or not so small sometimes. 

Below is the windshield reassembled, which was a bit nerve-racking with worrying about cracking the curved main glass while fitting it into the frame, but all went well.  I had pictures of everything together and labeled the and as it came apart and I labeled all the parts but it was still a bit of a jigsaw puzzle fitting everything together.  End result is good, no scratches in the new powder coat, ready to screw down to the deck.

Builder
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2024 at 4:35am
Originally posted by andrewmarani andrewmarani wrote:

I decided to just stay with the old packing system though I did buy some type of graphite packing instead of the waxed cord.

Never regretted installing the 'Gore-Tex' packing I got from Skidim in mine. It's been in there for about ten years now and is as stated, virtually dripless. 
Shaft and gland even stay nice and cool after running pyramids, barefooters and what not for two hours...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 9:02pm
Carpet is installed, just need to cover the removable panel and a couple of little pieces of wood in the back corners.  I ordered 25’ of the 8’-6” wide Midnight Star Gray from PontoonStuff.com.  Seems like good stuff, guess I will know for sure in 5 years or so. I used Henry 663 for glue and liked the half hour plus working time it gave me.  A test on a scrap piece of Coosa shows a very good hold, backing tears off the carpet before the glue gives up.

Got the boat back just in time for us to take a long planned vacation, so the side carpet got held up a bit.  When we got back I worked the carpet up one side and checked how it fit looking to see if developed folds.  It did develop a fold but just one and just at the dash.  The one on the observer’s side is hidden by the seat and I decided I could live with a small visible fold next to the driver’s seat.  So I glued up the bottom/sides in one piece with no plastic corner strips.  Note in the picture the thin board at the bottom to side transition.  I wedged that in place to get a nice tight carpet fit in that inside corner.  FYI, if you choose not to use the corner strips, I would run the glue 2” up the side when you glue the bottom, not hold it back like I did.

I cut the observer seat fold out and glued it flat.  I will probably run some black caulk over it to stop and unraveling down the road.

This shows the fold at the drivers side.  If the caulk works well on the observers cut, I will do the same here.

Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 9:07pm
Pictures of the almost finished carpeting.

I wanted to get carpet as high up the sides as I could up under the deck.  I sanded the old foam smooth and sanded a relatively smooth transition from the fiberglass hull up onto the foam as well.  Pretty easy with a random orbit sander and a vacuum.  Ended up running the carpet almost to the underside of the deck on each side, stopping at the hanger strap up near the bow.

Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2024 at 9:12pm
I should note that there were a couple of really small folds on each side right at the top of the carpet.  They are completely hidden by the fiberglass turn down on the sides.  You would have to be laying on your back on the floor looking up there to see them.

Middle son was home over the weekend and asked if the boat would be done in three weeks.  He's got some friends coming down to stay at the shore and wondered if we could ski... Deadlines are good motivators!
Builder
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2024 at 10:59am
Nice work.  They do or did make an adhesive specifically for cut carpet edges that prevents fraying.  May or may not come in a squeeze bottle with a tip that helps put the glue where it needs to be.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2024 at 9:35pm
Bought two 21' lengths of speedometer air tubing from SKIDIM.  Turns out that 21' is just enough to run from the gauges to the brass air tubes in the back of the boat.  which I didn't figure out till after I cut off a couple of feet from each one to run from the air tubes to the new pitot pickups mounted on the stern.  I had to buy two more lengths of tubing to make the run from the gauges to the air tubes.  Happily the tubing is pretty cheap.

So buy three lengths, two for the run in the boat and one to cut up to make the runs through the transom.  

And if you need an 18' or so length of tubing send me a PM and I will mail it to you for free.  Otherwise they are going to sit in my shop for years.
Builder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2024 at 7:34pm
Installed the gas tank and finished up the vent piping and some other odds and ends last weekend.  Finished last little pieces of carpet, installed the last bit of exhaust pipe and installed the windshield over the last couple of days.  Started the engine up this evening.  This weekend I will wash and wax the boat, install the swim platform and the seating and BE DONE!

Builder
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2024 at 10:02pm
Congrats on being so close!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic