NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 distributor
    Posted: June-23-2024 at 9:39am
Just diagnosed our GT40 having a bad pickup in the distributor causing a no crank.  The PIP magnet was sitting on top of pickup ring a long with a lot of other debris.  Got pretty lucky to see that!  Anyway, need to replace the whole unit.  Looking at auto parts units they do not have good reviews.  NP has an OEM and an aftermarket.  Does anyone know if the aftermarket one is the standard auto parts store model?  Does anyone have a good condition used one laying around?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2024 at 12:53pm
I'm not sure why you need to replace the whole unit but I'd figure that any aftermarket distributor these days comes from "outside our borders"  regardless of what the company name on the box is.

The original Ford distributor probably wasn't made here either.

You've done quite a bit of more involved stuff on your boat than doing something like disassembling your distributor and replacing the PIP assembly (AKA Pickup coil).

You could get a Motorcraft DU50 or something that cross references to it and do the replacement.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on disassembly and reassembly of an EEC4 Ford distributor.

It's not that hard and you'd be surprised how few parts are in there.

You have to press the gear off or use a gear puller and when reinstalling it, you press it on or stick the gear in the oven or your grill till it's around 500 degrees or so and it goes on easily. 

Stopping at the right spot to have the holes lined up is the hardest part.

This way you have the same gear that you originally had and don't have to worry about whether the new gear is cast iron or not.  Wink

Those "outside our borders" cast iron gears can look a little funny

Otherwise, I'd say call NP and see what they tell you about the 2 distributors
gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2024 at 1:41pm
Thanks Keno!  I think I also need a stator ring as well and not just the DU50.  There is a lot of wear on the stator and metal shavings everywhere.  The magnet was hitting the ring and probably wore 0.01"-0.015" of material away.  I'll see if I can find one.  I will also reach out to NP tomorrow and see what they say.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2024 at 3:15pm
Well, there's another choice.....let somebody else rebuild it for you.

Do a search for Cardone 30-2891. It's a rebuilt Ford EEC4 distributor with a cast iron gear. Reuse your rotor and "marine cap" that you have now

Available at lots of places, lots of prices, like your local parts store, Summit, Amazon, Ebay, Ebay, Ebay. Not so subliminal suggestion there  Wink

An easy way to tell an original or rebuilt original from the aftermarket stuff is by looking at the picture below. The Red arrow points to the collar on the Ford distributor, it's a lot longer than the aftermarket stuff like the one on the left.

The original also has a rougher casting and looks uglier too.

gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2024 at 6:39pm
Keno, thanks for the picture, that helps a lot!  I'm fully capable of rebuilding the existing distributor and have thought about that for sure.  I do live in the Mooresville, NC region for a reason! Wink  I just need to source all of the parts for a rebuild which I haven't done yet.  The sensors seem straightforward, but the ring is another story.  So far, I cannot find it anywhere.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2024 at 8:03pm
Is this what you're looking for?

I'll bet Mooresville has some junkyards or a place or 3 that screw around with 5.0 Mustangs or 5.8 Ford pickups from the late 80's to mid 90's that would have an old EEC4 distributor or parts hanging around that you could get cheap. Those year ranges aren't exact but pretty much any of the EEC4 8 cylinder distributors will have that wheel

Like other things under your cap (pickup coil gets called the PIP)  they seem to be called different things like shutter wheel, reluctor wheel, stator ring, funny round metal piece etc. and they're hard to find new at a decent price. 

I agree, go for it, do it yourself Wink

gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2024 at 10:47pm
Yes sir, that does look like what I am after.  This is what mine looks like currently.  

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2024 at 12:55am
Manicure Ken?  Nice looking thumbnail.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2024 at 7:49am
That one next to the finely manicured thumbnail (mine, not yours that looks about the same) is one of a few extras that I have.

If you're going the "do it myself route", send me a PM with your address and it'll be on the way to your house no charge. Wink

gcam4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcam4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2024 at 9:12am
Thanks Keno! I ended up going to NAPA and getting a rebuilt OEM one. I do plan to rebuild the old one though. I just really wanted to ski and didn't want to take the extra time right now. Installed it last night and all is well.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2024 at 7:00pm
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic