NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replaced Atwood Surge Brake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replaced Atwood Surge Brake
    Posted: June-26-2024 at 2:28am
My Atwood surge brake quit on me after only 29 years of service.   Rebuild parts are pretty much all gone now.  My internal shock was not working so brakes were applying too fast, then the master cylinder failed after only a couple years after the last rebuild.  I confess the failure may have been because this boat has silicone brake fluid.  DOT 5 in it.   A lot of the new hydraulic brake parts are not compatible with Dot 5.  

Installed a new Dexter 6600 lb actuator.   It has several improvements over the old Atwood.  The latch to connect the ball is pretty slick, easy on easy off with a safety pin.  The actuator now slides straight forward and back where the old Atwood was on a swivel.  The new sliders have grease zerks so mainentance is easy and the design should be more reliable.   The reservoir cap is much larger so easy to fill without spilling.   The Dexter also has a hole drilled so you could insert a pin if you want to lock out the brakes to back up a steep hill.   I did not add the reverse lock out feature.

The best part is bleeding the brakes is now super easy because they added a bleeder, or place to apply the hydraulic brake right on top behind the front of the hitch, just take a screwdriver and you can manipulate the hydraulic ram to quickly bleed the brakes.

Since I was switching from Dot 5 to Dot 4, ( even though the Dexter says it works with 3,4 or 5 fluid). I flushed more than a pint through the system and I was done with both wheels bled in 15 minutes working alone.   Test drive towing proved it worked exactly as desired.  Brakes applied smooth and released smoothly each and every application with zero noise or stress.

Very pleased with the new Dexter.  Only negative, it is about 8" longer installed than the old Atwood.   It was just under $300 delivered.

I had to cut the old Atwood off since it was welded in place.   I just cut through the welds did not damage the old housing.   I plan to throw it away.   If someone needs some of the no longer available parts let me know.  They are free if you pay shipping costs.   The shock is not good and the hydraulic master could use a new piston cup seal.   
1980SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2024 at 11:25am
MrMcD, what is the model number of the unit you ordered and where did you get it from?
1980 SN Project
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2024 at 12:24pm
Mine is for Drum Brakes, a Dexter DX 6.6  or 660  6600 pound model.  I bought on Amazon.  Etrailer did not offer this exact model.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WY4F2Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_d
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 3:57pm
I am going to toss the old Atwood, have to clear out the old.   If someone needed the parts let me know quick please.  It will go out in the trash tomorrow.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 4:31pm
Hey Mark, can you shoot me a picture of it? Thanks.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 6:35pm
I have pictures, it has been a while and I don't remember how to post on here.
I did try with no results.

PM me a phone # or email and I will send them.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 3:52pm
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 3:55pm
Old Atwood, all parts removed before it was cut off the trailer frame.  I have all the parts from inside the Atwood.
Posting pics is not easy.   I will keep trying
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic