Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need fuel pressure regulator advice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
theairguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theairguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need fuel pressure regulator advice
    Posted: June-29-2024 at 3:48pm
I have an 82 Ski Nautique with the 351 pcm engine. I bought the boat and it had a automobile carb and an electric fuel pump that stayed on all the time with the key on.  So I decided to go with a new quick fuel 600 and I am still waiting on it. I did get a new low pressure marine mechanical fuel pump and installed it. It ran fine with the electric pump but was dangerous I'm sure. So I changed out the pump, new lines and fuel filter. Took it to the lake and it ran fine for several hours then died and would not restart. With limited tools on the lake I noticed that the top of the carb was full of gas and im sure it was totally flooded. I dont know what my fuel pressure was. I figure it was either to high due to a malfuncitioning fuel pump or the carb just junked out. Either way had to be towed off the lake. So when my new quick fuel gets here I want to put a high quality pressure regulator inline to prevent this from happening again.  What is a good fuel pressure regulator that is not junk?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2024 at 7:07pm
More likely your recent work introduced some gunk into the needle and seat allowing flooding.  stock mechanical pumps normally supply 4-6 PSI and that is plenty.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2024 at 1:27pm
I think I'd find out where the fuel is coming from before just deciding that the pump started putting out to much pressure/volume after several hours of running well.

Does it come from the primary float bowl, the secondary float bowl, both float bowls or maybe from the ruptured diaphragm overflow tube that runs up to the flame arrestor and dumps fuel into the carburetor?

If you don't know, take the flame arrestor off and crank the engine while watching the carburetor

If you don't have water hooked up to supply the raw water pump and don't want the engine to maybe start, then pull the coil wire.

Aim the overflow tube into a small bottle etc, in case the pump diaphragm died after your several hours of good running and gas is coming out the tube when you crank the engine over.

Have your fire extinguisher close by just in case Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic