Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

‘92 SN PCM 40a Transmission Leak?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
benbam101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benbam101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ‘92 SN PCM 40a Transmission Leak?
    Posted: June-20-2024 at 4:32pm
Hi all, first time posting and glad to be here. Bought a ‘92 SNCB two weeks ago (my first boat) with 440 engine hours on the 5.0 351w. Finally got it out to the lake this past week and discovered a transmission leak—here’s what I know:

- It did not leak when I test drove it before buying, but we drove it 10hrs on the trailer before putting it in the water again. Otherwise not sure what could have caused the leak.
- PCM 1:1.23 40a Transmission (says 40 on the plate but I think the a is just rubbed off? I cannot find any evidence they ever put the 40i in SNs).
- Looks like it is dripping down the bellhousing from the front of the transmission (aka front seal leak). We are far from home so have been checking/adding dex/merc ATF as necessary and drill-pumping out the extra from the bilge into a bucket to keep it running smooth and not pollute.
- I haven’t been able to do the cardboard test to identify exactly whether it is front or rear since it’s been in the lake, but have seen dripping from the bellhousing and nothing from the back when engine is running in neutral.
- I know I’ll need to take out the transmission to change the front seal, which I feel somewhat confident in doing thanks to Kevin’s blog post from a few years ago and Vince from SKIDIM’s video on youtube.

What I don’t know/what I could use help with:
1. I think I need a front seal but SKIDIM/Nautique Parts are less clear on the exact front seal I need vs. the rear seal (which is very clearly marked). My “Parts” section of the 92 manual is just about the trailer and doesn’t have any inventory list.
2. Should I also replace the rear seal while it’s out? I know that generally it’s not worth it to replace things that aren’t necessarily broken since these are relatively reliable boats, but would prefer not to take the transmission out more than once and the boat is 32 years old.
3. I know from reading Kevin (KRoundy)‘s blog post from back in 2016 that what appeared like a front seal leak was not from the front seal but from a gasket misalignment—how do I go about figuring out where the leak actually comes from?
4. Where should I hook up a hose to run the engine out of water on the trailer? I know where the impeller housing is but don’t know if that’s considered the RWP and whether to hook the hose up to the bottom of that housing.

Appreciate any help you all can give. I’m good at internet sleuthing but this is my first boat and I don’t have any experience with working on engines or boats (but I do want to learn). TIA for any responses.
Current Boat:
1992 Ski Nautique CB
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2024 at 7:12pm
All PCM 40 series transmissions take the same oil pump seal. Give me a call tomorrow and I can either sell you a seal or show you which one it’s is on SKIDIM website 330-273-8291
You break it I’ll fix it
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2024 at 7:59pm
Here's a link to a YouTube video on rebuilding a 40I transmission. 

link

The parts yo'd be interested in for your front seal, O rings or maybe gasket are all the same as a 40A

All reruns on TV, so you can kill an hour watching it and see what the internals look like. Wink

The language leaves a little to be desired at times if you have young kids watching with you.
benbam101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benbam101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2024 at 10:31pm
Thanks, KENO, for the prompt reply. I watched about half of that video the first night I found the issue at like 1am and probably should watch again. I’ve begun to read the PCM 40a manual but have gotten a little lost in terminology and that’s probably not helped by the fact that I don’t have anything in front of me. I really don’t want to have to rebuild the whole thing but I also don’t want to spend 1500-2500 for someone else to do it, so having this video is super helpful. If Vince still works at SKIDIM I’ll give him a call when I get home and see if he can point me in the right direction so I don’t need to buy the whole seal kit.
Current Boat:
1992 Ski Nautique CB
benbam101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benbam101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2024 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

All PCM 40 series transmissions take the same oil pump seal. Give me a call tomorrow and I can either sell you a seal or show you which one it’s is on SKIDIM website 330-273-8291

I’ll give you a call tomorrow—will come from (801) number.
Current Boat:
1992 Ski Nautique CB
benbam101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benbam101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2024 at 6:36pm
An update on this--talked to Joe from FFI and he pointed me in the direction of the oil pump which he thought might have been cracked. After pulling it apart, I also thought it was cracked but it turns out something had just gone through it and taken shavings off, demolishing the original front seal and wearing a groove into the front cover. Joe luckily had a Oil Pump on hand and shipped it to me, and a friend cleaned up and repaired the damage to the front cover (which saved me $300, at least for now). Ordered new seals and put everything together (along with a blower and impeller replacement) and got back out on the water mid-afternoon yesterday. Hopefully everything holds for the season and I'll inspect it again this winter and update further if I find any issues with the repair. 

Couldn't recommend Joe (FFIMarine) enough if you have any questions relating to these transmissions. He spent a lot of his time talking through things with me and he'd be the first person I would call if I needed a rebuild, transmission parts, or advice. 
Current Boat:
1992 Ski Nautique CB
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2024 at 2:14pm
Did you check your damper plate?  The reason I ask--early 90's I was grinding pumps on my velvet drive and there was no internet to ask....that bad damper was the root cause of many dollars in repairs.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic