Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 GT 40 Raw Water Pump Wobble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
craigmeade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigmeade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 GT 40 Raw Water Pump Wobble
    Posted: July-01-2024 at 4:05pm
1995 GT40 in SN196
How much wobble is acceptable in the raw water pump?
I am on my 4th season with this boat and it has always had some wobble at the pulley. This season I replaced both belts as part of other repairs, and this morning the recently replaced serpentine belt started fraying on me. New pump and even the rebuild are very pricey! Thoughts and help appreciated...and if anyone has a used sherwood raw water pump in serviceable condition for sale please PM me!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2024 at 6:22pm
Here's an alternative choice for a new water pump in the link.

It's basically a clone of the Sherwood G21 with a few differences. It bolts right in place of the Sherwood

The biggest difference is that the bearing housing end of the pump is bronze instead of cast iron like the Sherwood, so it's not gonna rust.

I got one from the same place that's in the link (Boise Boat Works) a handful of years ago, it's got about a couple hundred hours of time on it with no issues.

DJ Pump is a South Korean company that's been around for quite a while.

The price has dropped in the last few years, probably because you can find other clones of the same pump cheaper, but at that price you can't hardly complain Wink

PS...........that belt for your pump is a V belt
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2024 at 1:10pm
That appears to be a decent pump Ken.

A little wobble won’t affect anything, a belt can flex and absorb it.   Is the belt falling off at high RPM?

If it has lasted the past 4 years maybe it is good for the next 10 years?
There is a huge difference in fan belt quality out there.   Personally I would choose Gates, Goodyear or Dayco for a manufacturer.  There are lots of inexpensive low quality belts out there for sale.

If the wobble is less than 1/4” or so I might just live with it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2024 at 8:20pm
I don't think I'd be living with 1/4 inch wobble in anything that's rotating at the same speed as the engine. 

Nobody knows what's wobbling......... the pulley, the pump shaft, worn out bearings in the pump?

He changed the belt this season and it bit the dust again, he's got a problem  Wink
craigmeade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigmeade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2024 at 9:47pm
Update: I actually looked closer at the belts and it's the alternator belt that is shredding. New this season and maybe has 20 hours on it; this was a PCM stock belt. i am fairly confident it was tensioned correctly so this was a defective belt.

I may wait on changing the RWP but I did order a DJ pump

thanks for the replies, really appreciate the expertise out there!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic