Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Possible purchase, looking for pointers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Johnboy4444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy4444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible purchase, looking for pointers
    Posted: July-22-2024 at 2:13pm
Hi, new around here. Decided to make a post and ask for some sage advice. Going later this week to look at a 78 Southwind 18 with a 351W. Price seems a tad low, but boat isn't what you'd call the "best kept" and most stellar example ever. Owner says nothing wrong with it, water ready, with the exception of some water in the oil. The seats are a bit faded and carpet could be better. But from pics it looks overall solid.
When asked more detail on the engine, the oil level is not high, just milkshaked. Claims it was his late family member's boat, and he discovered the shake while test running it to get ready for sale. Said he ran while hooked to garden hose and it fires right up and runs and idles fine. I have been around cars my whole life, so a bit of milkshake doesn't really scare me too much for the price. Figure I'll start with fresh oil change and see what comes of it.
Any advice there would be appreciated, but my main question is for guidance on the "what to look fors" on these guys. Most of my experience has been with bass boats and pontoons. This is a low cost adventure and feeler for what these boats are really like to live with overall. Won't break my bank to say goodbye if need be.

Any advice is appreciated in advance!
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2024 at 6:37pm
Try to find and buy the nicest boat you can afford happier later
Do not buy just because it’s there
I typically assume milkshake means new or Rebiuld engine
Do you need and enjoy mechanical projects.
Channeling my inner grandpa
Good luck if you get it. Pictures
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2024 at 2:56pm
I think I would ask the seller to change the oil and filter, run it a bit and then see.....
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2024 at 4:38pm
Oh hell i hate being bobby buzzkill but you being up north, milkshake means (maybe) someone didn't winterize it correctly and (maybe) either the block or exhaust manifolds could be cracked.
Question,
Hull and deck are undamaged
Windshield is intact
Sitting on a good solid trailer
Running gear intact and appears undamaged, spin the prop and shaft doesn't bind, etc all cables move freely and so on.
Tows to the ramp and test drives ok
Is less than a thousand bucks and you can drive there see it, test it and tow it home in 4-5 hours

Are you are tooled up for and you lay awake at night foaming at the mouth in anticipation of fiberglass and mechanical projects that take a year or two of full time work and devotion.

If you answer NO to any of the above questions specially the last one take 67's advice and buy the best boat you can afford,
(even then in my opinion it will inevitably need God knows what) specially if anything is showing not so good because unlike the car guys, boat guys spend a grand or two in mechanical upkeep/upgrades or upholstery or stereo right before they sell it !

I got 2 boats to look at in the sub 10 thousand range and both need a good going over-thru-and rebuild, both open bow, both composite stringer boats.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2024 at 10:33am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Try to find and buy the nicest boat you can afford happier later
Do not buy just because it’s there
I typically assume milkshake means new or Rebiuld engine
Do you need and enjoy mechanical projects.
Channeling my inner grandpa
Good luck if you get it. Pictures

+1
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2024 at 1:25pm
Any boat you buy can have many issues that need repair to be a good and safe boat.

I agree, buy the best boat you can afford but still expect some repairs.

I bought our 1995 Nautique with 97 total hours on it.  It was perfect from front to back, not one item damages or showing wear including the trailer.  Bought it in December so no water test before purchase.

First water test I found heavy vibrations, then the engine went into limp mode, Red light on the dash, this is the Fuel Injected engine 351W ProBoss.
Had to replace the prop shaft, prop, and straighten the strut.  Couple bad sensors fixed the Limp mode issue.  Several other minor parts had failed because it sat in a garage for 20 years before I bought it.
I would still have purchased the boat even if I knew about these issues because it was in such good shape and looked brand new, but I enjoy doing mechanical repairs and really liked this boat so no complaints just a warning to buy with your eyes wide open.  Who would have expected this damage with 97 total hours on the boat?  
Johnboy4444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy4444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2024 at 2:29pm
Thanks everyone for the input. The owner kept acting oddly and rescheduled a couple times, constantly left me on "read" when I would ask which lake to meet at for a float test. Finally I decided to tell them I would pass, the wife and I decided it was a better idea to get a boat from a local marina. We budgeted and decided we would just make a large down payment on a used boat from them.
Bit more than we initially wanted to spend, but the boat is local since new, one owner, and has been housed indoor at the marina over winter every year with records. We went and did a ride along test and the marina is being nice enough to offer us (slightly) discounted storage and winterization for being customers for as long as we own the boat, as well as a small warranty for the next month against any large undisclosed issues.
Unfortunately for this forum, it isn't a Correct Craft, but a Rinker Captiva 216. 67 hours on the clock. Like new shape. Very well kept, all original covers included, no fades or cracks. Figure I'd rather make a small monthly payment for a couple years to have a much better condition boat I can actually use without TOO much worry.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2024 at 4:43pm
Nothing unfortunate about it, rinker is a fine boat. Congrats on the purchase !
If this is your first boat i would advise you to read the owner/operator manual.

This is a good forum, plenty of help and knowledge on board.
Only dumb question is the one never asked.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic