NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keith’s teak swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 5:30pm
Hey Jbear and 88 nautique- 68 more days until my 30 but I'm not counting Cable repairman in Northern Illinois, IBT,Ameritech,SBC,AT&T, right now detailed to work on FTTN project to get video to houses on copper.Plan on retiring in '09 before next contract and running away with my lump sum. Best to you all,Gary
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 5:33pm
Another question. For those who have had a platform in really tough shape, and then revived it. Was your platform kind of soft on the underside wheny ou first started. The four main support cross beams are soft and I am wondering if the teaking oil helps to create some strength in the wood so it is not as soft.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 7:38pm
Eric, I completely disa$$embled my platform to refinish it as well. Mine had no nails in it, only screws. If the existing screws arent enough to hold the platform together, I would add more screws instead of replacing the nails. Make sure you predrill any new holes to prevent cracking.

The underside of my platform was soft when wet before I refinished- I could scrape the surface off with my fingernail. This was just mildew/mold that accumulates on the wood when it stays wet- the wood itself is not soft (teak doesnt rot). It could also partly be the remnants of an old finish (varnish, etc). You need to give it a good cleaning with some teak cleaner and a stiff bra$$ brush. If there is a lot of old varnish, there is some orange stuff you can get at Home Depot that does a good job of removing it. They sell small bra$$ brushes there too, or if you can find a larger bra$$ grill brush they work well too. Make sure you get all of the soft stuff off before sanding or refinishing.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 7:53pm
I already started the sanding of my platform and it looks good. I need to go get one of those bra$$ brushes to get at all the grooves and stuff. I have teak cleaning oil and varnish for when it comes time for that. For now I am going to try and get some more mold/mildew off and deal with those nails. I added screws to make it stronger. The nails were there from the previous owner. Looks like they were done with a nail gun
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 11:36pm
Gary: Cable Mtc sure is fun up there in the north, huh? I just talked to my partner in the underground tonite. Friday is his last day. Worked 3 more years after I left. We had planned to go together as we had always worked and hung out together. But in '03 when I got my buy-out, I was #12 on the list and he was #13. You guessed it, they only took 12. Hated to go without him but had to. Took my lump and ran to Florida. LOVED the job but really have not missed it for a day. Lots of luck to you, make it to the end safely! There is life after the phone company.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 7:33am
jbear, don't meen to hijack the thread , but i read something the other day that was an eye opener for me and would like to share....
       "The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets."
I think that we are living the dream, thru our boats and the freindships developed here...... boatdr
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 8:46am
Gary S & JBear,
I was bound to meet some bucketheads on this site. At least you're not knuckle-draggers (linemen).
If you see my early post time it's because I had to start early to cut some inter-office t1's to clear a t3 to free up some fiber for that fttn stuff. I'm sure everybody knows what the hell I just said.
There are a lot of people over here that want to leave before the next contract. Wish I could.

wakeboardin2k4, Forget the varnish. Do not varnish teak wood. Just use teak oil. Varnish will trap oils in the teak and could ruin your deck. Plus it will start coming off and look like hell.

TRBenj, I noticed the teak cleaner on the fender of your trailer.

Here is my platform after 3 coats of teak oil. Starting to look good. It's still soaking in the oil though.

Kurt
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 10:10pm
Kurt: My best friend from high school worked in FWG before he retired. Fiber sure did slow down some of us old twisted copper guys. With "fiber to the curb" some day the kids won't even know what we used to do. My underground partners last day is tomorrow. He is glad. Your time will come sooner than you think. Can't believe I have been done for 3 years. Sure was fun whike it lasted!

john

ps; your platform came out awesome!
pps for the boat dr: my feelings exactly. We all get so much out of being on here. I ain't gonna have no regrets...I have done lots, loved a great woman, fathered a son and I know exactly where I am going when I pa$$ from this earth. Wasn't it someone on this site that said they wanted to get to the end dead tired, used up, with a cold one in their hand having no regrets? Or words kinda to that effect?

"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 9:25am
wakeboardin2k4,

Are you sure that they are nails? It isn't that I doubt you, I ask because the first and last time I did our platform it was the screw tips that were poking through the top of the platform and scratching our skis. If the platform is worn down or the previous owner put in different length screws that could be your problem.

To the rest, very nice lookin platforms. I wish I was concerned with the looks of ours, but I am not. It is a nice and weathered gray.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 9:35am
PLBC,

I am positive that they are nails. I used a tool to knock the nails down further into the wood so that they would not scrape up my ski/board. And I have sanded tips of the nails down along with the platform itself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 12:02am
wakeboardin2k4,
I'm curious how your platform came out. Are you done yet? Post a pic if you can.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 10:35am

The platform is not complete yet. I have not been able to wash the platform yet because of the cold weather here in Ma$$achusetts. I am trying to make the washing portion as easy as possible by using a pressure washer at a low enough speed that it will remove the discoloration from the platform without destroying it.

I was able to sand down the platform and take off some of the discoloration making it look like fresh wood.

Eric
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 12:00am
88, did you end up doing 5 coats of teaking oil? I am done with my 2nd coat and it has been soaking for over a day. 3rd coat is going on tomorrow after class. I am wondering how many coats people usually doo. I have learned that a little oil seems to go a long way.

I have been taking pictures as the process continues. I will load them up when I am finished with the project.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 6:09pm
Yea about 5 coats. I haven't mounted it on my boat yet. Will probibly put another coat on before I mount it. I'll post another pic when I mount it.
Kurt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2007 at 4:05pm
The first image is sanded and cleaned. Second image is after 2 coats and dried, third picture is of the 3rd coat, still wet. Just did the 4th coat earlier today so no pictures yet

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2007 at 7:05pm
Here's my first attempt at refinishing my platform.

I used Savogran SuperStrip to remove the old finish (2 applications, per directions). I washed off the remaining residue with Savogran TSP, hose and a scrub brush. After letting it dry out good for a few days, I took the sander to it (120 grit) several times. I again washed it off with the hose and a scrub brush, and let it dry out before applying 3 heavy coats of Watco Teak Oil.

BEFORE

AFTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 1:42am
Looks good Tim. Are you going to add more coats?
Have you posted your boat in the diaries section yet? If so, put a link in your signatures.
Kurt
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2007 at 8:05am
Kurt,

I wasn't planning on adding any more coats at the moment. The three coats I did put on, I put on pretty heavy and let them soak in real good before wiping off the excess. I don't know that it would take anymore. I was going to see how it weathers this summer and add more as needed.

I haven't done the diaries thing yet. I need some good pic's and right now, unfortunately, the boat is still in storage on account of cool weather. Another week or two, hopefully..
83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 1:05pm
Just got my removable brackets from Mid West CC and had a question. I see some people touched on this earlier, but what is the best method to reattach my brackets?   My lag bolts appeared to be tight, however, the other screws did look a little loose. Should I put epoxy in the hole and re drill before putting in the bolts/screws with sealant on them? Any more recommendations for what type of sealant to use?

Cheers!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 1:14pm

I'm contemplating the same thing on my 82. Don't have any advice for you as I've got the floor and stringers out, etc. and it will be pretty easy to ensure good grip from the screws before I put the floor back.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost on the brackets from MWCC?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 1:21pm
BKH -

They were 260 shipped, and considering how tight my parking area is, worth it.

Not to mention being able to take it off when trailering long distances, keep it inside during the winter, ect.

They look pretty solid, just hoping that I can make the hole pattern match up. Will find out after work!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 1:32pm
Thank you. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 3:14pm
If you get your brackets from Alloy Marine they are $99.95 each.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 3:20pm
I do like their new style of bracket. But I only spent $260 for all 4 brackets. Ha, only...
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 3:28pm
Oh, I thought you paid $260 for two of the new style.
1978 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 4:20pm
Dou you have any pictures or links with pictures of the removable brackets? I'd like to see how their made.
Kurt
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 4:23pm
Here's a link to the alloy marine ones;

Alloy Marine
1978 Nautique

83_2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83_2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2007 at 4:47pm
Here are pictures that they sent me. It is hard to judge the size, ect. Hoping to have the teak refinished and on the Nauti by next weekend so I'll try to take some pics then. They really are quite solid.

...but back to my original question, any ideas for when I go to attach the brackets...anybody?

Cheers
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:14am
Hey fellow Teak refurbishers...

I've been using this "Bix" strip to get the poly off my platform, and it's not proving as a great solution for the job at hand. Maybe because there are so many years and applications the PO put on it.. Is there a real nasty stripping gel out there that can outperform the Bix product??

Just wondering because this is taking forever...

Thanks
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:42am
No idea if it will outperform the Bix, but I used the orange stripping gel available at Home Depot with good results.

I also disassembled my platform and sanded each piece on all sides- so that probably sped up the process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic