NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Salt Water Loch

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GarethC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salt Water Loch
    Posted: July-06-2007 at 9:05pm
Hi There

I have bought an '89 2001 series with a 351 ford pcm. I have been using it on a fresh water loch, but am wondering about using it on a nearby salt water sea loch (that looks mirror like every time i see it!).

What would you recommend is it worth risking this? because i realise you would have to flush the engine with a hose pipe (not really sure how difficult this is!) but is there anything else that can go wrong with salt water ? i dont want to cause any damage...

Cheers Gareth
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 12:38am
Gareth, salt water is so much more corrosive that fresh that it ain't even funny. If you are going to use the boat in salt water, thoroughly flush the cooling system each time afterwards using a fake-a-lake. Also, hose the trailer down real good and rinse some fresh water through your bilge (at a minimum). Even then you are still going to get more corrosion than you would by using it only in fresh water. However, it can still last for years with proper care. Best thing for a salt water boat is to convert the cooling system to a closed loop (fresh water) cooling. But then you still have to care for your manifolds because they still flow salt water.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
GarethC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 11:53am
Thanks nutty skier, is a fake-a-lake just a hose pipe that you run water through the cooling system ? if so that wouldnt be too hard to do, and we would only be running the boat on salt water for the odd weekend and then putting it back in the fresh water loch, so using it back on fresh water should get rid of the rest of the salt water.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 12:50pm
The fake-a-lake looks like a bathroom plunger that has a hose coupler on it. You hook a hose to it, put the plunger part over the raw water intake under the boat while it's on the trailer, turn on the water and start it up. You can order one from Overtons or maybe even SkiDim.

You'll just have to make sure that you run the motor long enough to open the thermostat so the salt water in the block gets replaced by the fresh water.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 5:20pm
Welcome to CCF.com, Gareth. Nice to see another United Kingdom member. Post some pics of your boat, area, lakes, etc when you get a chance.

Ken
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 11:22am
Gareth, obviously salt water is more corrosive, but think about all the I/O boats used on the sea - most of those are not freshwater cooled and they don't fall to pieces at the sight of seaweed. It's just a matter of taking sensible steps to limit the damage it can do.

Where do you ride/ski, I'll guess at Loch Lomond for the freshwater. I'm hoping to get up there for a week this year, but might have to make do with a long weekend at loch ken instead.

Windermere is still my local, just need to keep your eyes open for plod and keep it respectful. They don't seem to bother if you keep the speed down to 15-19 which is about what we all board at anyway. Plus we go out early or late for glass and cos the fuzz don't get up early or stay up late.

Good luck with the boat, I bought mine in Feb this year and after a bit of work (more than I thought!!) took it out for a test last weekend. Top bit of kit, can't wait to get a few tows in this year, then I think it's new floor over the winter.
Easily Parted From Money
GarethC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GarethC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 11:44am
Hi Tomski

Yep we go up to loch lomond, we are based in glasgow, so its only 30mins drive. They have just brought out all these new byelaws that mean u need approved life jackets and a few other things...more speed limits etc

Whats Loch Ken like ? decent slipway ?

And are you not meant to ski on windermeere, wouldnt have thought the police would care!

My girlfriends parents live on loch fyne so i wanted to take it up there, unfortunately my 20year old mitsubishi shogun gets about 5mpg when pulling the boat !
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2197
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 1:48pm
Wow - Look at all these mates from the UK!
Pretty soon we'll see Glasgow listed under the reunions section.
(I may have to visit the home of my ancestors for that one )
Welcome aboard Gareth.
I've asked that same question many times, as I'm real close to some nice calm saltwater here in New England.
The simple answer is yep ya can do it and just flush/rinse it real good.
But, the tough decision is, if you want to take the chance on what it could do to your boat in the long run.
Mine has stayed a fresh water Nauti!
I saw your new diaries listing & that's a pretty nice looking boat. Good luck with it!
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 2:32pm
Loch Ken has a limited ski area, but we've always found it pretty quiet. The slips aren't up to much, we've always just launched and then left it in the water. Very nice campsite though. I think the ski centre has a decent slipway actually.

Must get up to Loch Lomond again. Windermere now has a 10mph limit hence the need to avoid the wardens!

Some firends of mine bought a place on Loch Fyne, near the wild animal park? But sold it before we had a chance to get up there.

Yep, the old fuel bill can be a bit painful can't it, especially at £5 a gallon (yes American brothers and sisters, that's £5 or just about $10 a gallon)
Easily Parted From Money
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 4:52pm
Howdy from accross the pond! I have realized a new definition of 'die-hard skiier/boarder/rider'!!! I knew the exchange rate had changed a bit, but had not translated it into time on the water. My girl is a barefoot with a 454...she might start to feel neglected at those prices!   LOL

Ha! News Flash... introducing the first dash-mounted waterproof credit card receiver?!!?

'Yall take care over there now...'ya hear?

Greg
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 11:36pm
Welcome G!
I use my boat in brackish water almost exclusively. It's because it's so much farther to fresh water. I by a product called "SaltAway" and use it every time I bring the boat home. I flush the engine with about 2 cups of Saltway run down the hose first and let the engine run it all through until it's done bubling (8 minutes unless it's cool by the time I get home, then longer). I also spray down my trailer with the saltaway using a pump up sprayer and completely wash my boat with boat soap and rinse and dry. It's a lot of work, but very necessary. Even with all that there is corrosion. The trailer has rust all over it and I'm hoping to get three more years out of it. My engine is holding out really well on the outside, but of course I can't see inside it. If I had options nearby to be in fresh water I'd stay there. However, it is a blast to get out in Galveston Bay with the boat and a million other boaters some times just for cruising.

Glad you're here!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Tomski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2007 at 7:35am
Buffalo, we were thinking of just getting a pipeline put in direct from the refinery! It is expensive, but hey - you want play, you've got to pay!

In some ways it improves the wakeboarding "experience" because it means you have to get a decent sized crew together to split the cost, so it's more social. We've just had weekend on the lake and used the boat all day everyday - cruising around with the children and a bit of kneeboarding with them in the day and then 6am and 9pm sessions for the four or five keen boarders among us. probably used about £120 - £150 of gas. Worth it though!
Easily Parted From Money
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 12:42pm
Hi,

I live In Aruba Its's a nice tropical island in the caribbean @ here we don't have lakes or rivers or ramps @ here we have white beaches and saltwater. I own A 1986 skinautique 2001 the boat is running strong The only problem we had was when I bought the boat in florida the risers where fully corroded So I had the change them I flush the engine everytime after using the boat.

Thank you.

Greetings from Aruba.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

Hi,
I own A 1986 skinautique 2001 the boat is running strong
Thank you.
Greetings from Aruba.

k.o., Sounds like you got the boat running. Glad to here it. Yesterday you had a leaking carb. What was the problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

Hi,
I own A 1986 skinautique 2001 the boat is running strong
Thank you.
Greetings from Aruba.

k.o., Sounds like you got the boat running. Glad to here it. Yesterday you had a leaking carb. What was the problem?

the boat isn't running strong i think my bro posted that uhm weel i don't know about the carb it isn't leakking like yesterday it;'s just dripping know yesterday it was like a waterfall in there. but took her out today it was ok when aproaching the trailer it died and since my belts are wornout i think it doesn't charge that well so it won't restart maybe later i'll buy some new belt to had out today if not it will be till next week
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 4:42pm
Kenrick(cool name), you're a braver man than I! I worry about getting stranded on a relatively small feshwater lake.
1988 BFN-sold

k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:02pm
haha well i alwas wondered why USCG does all thos thing of having paddle and flares and those other safty items cuz the furthest you can go is on the oter site of the lake wo why all those extra gear. the only have an anchar on CGA vest and a wakeboard vest a few tools and a bottle of fire extinguishier that's never been tested that's about it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:06pm
Safety first, and I'll leave it at that. If you ask, we'll get you up to date!
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 7:01pm
My hats off to the Coast Guard, they are there for my safety, my kids safety and your safety, boaters tend to bend the rules sometimes and there are alot of boat owners that shouldnt even own a boat, i bet everyone that reads this knows someone thats been mamed or even killed on a boat and most of the time the cause was stupidity on the boat owners behalf.
"the things you own will start to own you"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 7:42pm
Zachery Marshall Sutton
05-31-00 born
05-21-03 died
The result of stupidity
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 12:00am
hey guys i wasn't dissing the uscg i was just wondering that. it's mot that were not saftey minded but were not required that much stuff sice were not open water boat and we had to take a course that show us all saftey and driving rules on the water or else were getting a ticket of about 50$ here boat owners are pretty safety minded not all of them watersports aren't but the worst are wave runner owners they drive like they own the occean we had a close on when those odiot raced right were ppl put there boat in the water. there were to a**hole racing and comming straight toward us we taught for sure they were gonna hit us cuz they were full speed and fighting the machine to turn on the last second they turned away from us

Kenrick O
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 11:46am
My one mile wide lake can become open water pretty quick during a microburst or heavy thunderstorm, it ain't too much fun when the fog comes in either. Collisions occur, engines die, boats catch on fire, so be careful and consider the coast guard requirements the absolute minimum safety gear needed.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 1:07pm
Mexico is pretty lame on regulations, we worked alot of shrimp boats and they would run a jackshaft off the back of the trans and cut a hole in the deck and run a series of 8 to 10 belts up to a cable winch, the crew always had a guy with a couple of digits missing from the results of afro engineering.
the best thing that ever happened was making kids go through a safety boaters course here in Ohio, i dont know if its required everywhere, but safety is always a priority when im on a boat, there is just to much *************** that can happen out on a boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 1:11pm
K.O, we know your not dissing them, if these posts make one person think about how much safety is a concern on a boat then maybe a life will be spared one day
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 1:16pm
here it's required in boats from 0 to 12 meters and anything above that you have to take a course on big boats everybody driving a boat thats has to have it but i think most of them doesn't have it and minimum age is 16 to get one.With 2 belts it would be scary to lose one on the water i couldn't imagine 10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic