Forums
NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering broke

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering broke
    Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:38am
Boy that was interesting.Luckily I had just gotten up on plane when it let go.I was a mile or so from the launch so I didn't want to paddle.I took a stiff branch with a fork at the end and tied it to the rudder arm where the cable attachs.I used the stick to steer the boat but I had to keep it slow.I never realized how hard these boats pull to the left.
I saw Tim D's posts and I guess tomorrow I'll call SE CC and talk to Woody. I'm assuming the cable has to come out the back unless I cut it.Problem is the cable broke somewhere in the middle so I won't be able to pull the new one through with the old.I have a wire snake that should work.
                                 Farmer

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 1:16am
The coupler nut will not be too easy to pull through, especially if there are wires running beside it. Before you order, check the old cable where it enters the support tube, my old cable screwed into the inside and the new cable had a coupler nut that screwed to the outside of the support tube.

Woody, 407-851-1965
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 11:42am
don't understand your guy's issue when I replaced mine the jacket and everything needed came with the new cable it was pretty easy to swap out. disconnect it at teh clamp block and helm pull it out of the helm then pull it out from the bilge area and slide the new cable back thought the tube in the bilge feed it through the helm position it in the clamp block then adjust it to get the correct throw.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 9:55pm

Ordered the new cable today from CC in Orlando.Didn't get to talk to woody (lunch) but the guy I talked to just asked me the year and model and had no trouble.I'll see when it gets here.
I'll pull the old one out tonight. I may just use the cable from the other boat for now.Nice weather will soon be gone and I'm no where near ready for what lies ahead.

Farmer
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 11:15pm

Pulled the cable.Looks like it broke where the flex part joins to the steel rod at the stern.I can't tell how they were joined originally but the steel rod is pretty rusty.Must have rusted inside as well.
                  Farmer
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 11:59pm

I pulled the steering cable from my project mustang in case the new one doesn't show in time. We're supposed to have a beautiful weekend and I am not driving around in my dad's aluminum bass boat. I got spoiled by the mustang.I still like to play with my old outboards but....
79,until I talked to the guy from SE CC I thought I was getting the inner cable only.This will be much easier.
                  Farmer
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 10:45am
Gary- Hope you get her back on the water this weekend. Weather is looking good- around 80    for tomorrow and Saturday
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 9:02pm

Hey Brad, Thanks,good to here from you.

I was wondering, has anyone ever had the steering cable break going faster than planing speed.I was trying to figure if the boat would just pull to the left or would it snap around and cause me pain.

Farmer

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 9:06pm
That is a situation you do not want to put yourself in.
This is why i preach new or recently replaced steering assy.
For this reason a safety lanyard is a wise choice..........boat dr
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2007 at 10:01pm

Boat Dr,I wonder how many people use a lanyard in the older boats? I think i'll install one in mine.
                             Farmer
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 12:37am

The new cable arrived today from SE CC so I didn't have to put in the used one from the project boat. I feel much better knowing there's a new cable in there. No steering is a little unnerving. (I really must be getting old.)Anyway.. fback in business for the weekend!!
                      Farmer

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic