Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jump Start Battery - Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jump Start Battery - Opinions?
    Posted: April-26-2005 at 5:07pm
http://hitches4less.com/jumpstarters.html

For peace of mind with my new stereo install, I was thinking about purchasing one of the jump starter battery boxes in case I run my battery down at the lake.

What size do I need? Will be these effective with a deep cycle battery?

I thought about adding another battery, but this jump starter would come in handy with starting stuff around the garage or just nice to have in my truck to help myself of someone else out.

Any opinions??? thanks
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 5:15pm
The battery jumper pack is ok for jumping the battery but to used as a second battery no way.
Instead install a second battery with an isolator & hook your stereo & accessories to it. This will allow the alternator to charge both batteries when under way but to discharge only the one battery when using the stereo system leaving a well charged batter for starting only. This is a great system to use. These isolators can cost $75.00- $150.00 but peace of mind from a reserve fully charged battery is hard to beat.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 6:21pm
Deep cycle batteries are not designed for spinning American V8 engines. too much internal resistance. They result in burned cables, crusty starters, and solenoids with welded contacts.

If you have starting problems consider ditching the deep cycle battery

Get a nice 825 Amp cranking battery and fugetaboutit.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Texas88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 8:15pm
Hey guys, how does an isolator work, how would you install one and tell me again what is wrong with starting a V8 with a deep cycle.

Thanks,

Bryan
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 8:55pm
The Deep Cycle battery cannot provide BOTH high amps and High voltage at the same time. When amp approach 50-75, the battery's internal resistance lowers the delivered voltage, self-limiting the power delivered.

So you crank longer and slower. DC motors pull more amps the slower they turn, less amps the faster they spin. A struggling starter motor pulls max amps, which means max heat. The starter relay has insufficient voltage because the starter is pulling the battery voltage too low because it appears like a dead short. Insufficient contact pressure arcs the contacts and welds them together, so when you let off the key, the starter keeps turning, frying the cables and/or starter while you struggle to disconnect the battery.

To sum up Deep cycle batteries struggle to produce the immediate power needed to start a V8. you can get by with a 2-cyle outboard, but not an auto engine (for long) More starters are fried and repalced due to deep cycle batteries in the wrong application.

I think an isolator is a diode network that keeps you from pulling you starting battery down when running accessories, but permits charging from one source.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 9:37pm
When I bought a new battery, I just replaced it with a deep cycle marine battery from wally world. This is not what I should have used?

If I do go buy a regular battery for the boat, can I use the deep cycle with the stereo and have a perko switch.

Is it ok to mix batteries? This freakin deep cycle cost me 60 bux. Dont want to not use it.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 10:29pm
Could add a trolling motor

River Rat to Mole
Marshall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 2:07am
The jump starters are also nice to have. I keep a small one in my truck and always take it with me on the boat. Do you know how much money you can get for jump on a lonely pond?
'70 Mustang
"Can you hear me now?"
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 3:56am
I dont plan on running my battery down, if we are on the lake, the motor is usually running. However it is more for like a just in case situation, would it work fine for that?

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 4:03pm
Jason it would work fine for a safty net if your dead on the water. There are some deep cycle batteries that have enough CCA to be used as a starter battery. Your battery should be rated for at least 650 CCA (cold cranking amps).
Marshall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 11:03pm
I have a 300 amp jump starter and it has started my boat eight times on one charge. Then I decided to buy an alternator. I still keep it on the boat fully charged. Its small, its safe and it works.
'70 Mustang
"Can you hear me now?"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic