Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Motor mounts & rotted stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor mounts & rotted stringers
    Posted: May-11-2005 at 2:33am
My boat is a '69 Barracuda with a 318 Chrysler.

I just pulled my engine/tranny to rebuild the tranny. The tranny barfed up all its contents last summer.

When I pulled the tranny I discovered the rear motor mounts are anchored into the stringers with 3 lag screws on each side. The screws were terribly rusty & deteriorated & I doubt they do much besides locate the motor fore-and-aft. Meaning, they probably won't resist vertical forces much once I put them back in.

At the front motor mounts there is a separate spacer piece of wood above the stringer that's about 2" tall. Two lag screws go down through that into the stringer. However, those screws only protrude below the spacer about 1/2". Meaning: they really don't screw down into the stringer; they just sit on top of it.

Now my question: does this matter? How important is it that the motor be secured down to the stringers? If it is important, how do I repair this problem? At the front, I think the lag screws are probably rusted off into the stringer.

Don't really know much about this kind of repair. Do I need to dig out the front lag screws? Do I drill out the stringers until I hit solid wood and then patch in new wood? Can I glue in dowels? What kind of glue? Then cover it all up with more fiberglass? Is there a correct way to do this? Where do I get materials? I don't think the stringers are hugely rotted. I think it's just around the motor mounts. I hope.

Thomas
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 12:52pm
Yes, drill out the lag screw holes to the size of a large oak dowel...say 3/4". The drilling will tell you the extent of the rot. Using epoxy resin, thin the mixed resin with acetone until it almost like water. pour the resin into the holes prior to inserting the dowels. Let the resin soak into the rotted stringer. If there is no rot, then not much resin will soak in. If the resin soaks in indefinately, you have a problem. Prior to the thin resin setting up, use un-thin resin to glue the dowels in place. Let the resin cure then cut/sand the dowels flush. Cover with fiberglass/resin. Reinstall the motor mounts using stainless steel lag bolts.

I think it curious that there is a spacer block. Inspect and see why. If it is needed, the lag bolt should penetrate the stringer at least 3 inches.

BTW, do not drill through the bottom of your boat.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 7:27pm
I have some pics of mine where I redid mounts. Could e-mail someone here them that could post them? I took some flat stainless, bent into a "L" bolted the stainless to the sides of stringer, and then bolted engine mounts to the top of the stainless in the same place as before. (used some rubber insulated mounts from mercruiser) I drilled out all the rot I could in the stringers and filled with resin. The insulated mounts make for a lot smoother operation
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Rosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 8:58pm
See what you guys think.I far as I can tell,all of the force applied from prop to push boat forward is applied to engine hold down bolts.If these fail, engine will be pushed forward until prop hits bottom of boat. Yes?
1971 Skier holman&moody 1971 Mustang holman&moody
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2005 at 9:55pm
Rosser, it will either be pushed forward into your back or it will start doing Eskimo rolls under your engine box. Either way is real bad - especially if your family is in the boat.

Todd, send the pics to jim@drivesys.com and I will post them. I would like to see them myself.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 10:57am
my 68 barracuda 318 also uses the 2" wood spacers under the front mounts.and to align the motor to the shaft it needs 1/2" under the rear ones.
kenny g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 12:46pm
Jim Pics are in the mail..... I taken a 4"X6" flat piece of stainless, bent it into a L with 4" bolted to inside of stringer, the top of the "L", 2", sits on the top of stringer under engine mounts, mounts are bolted to stainless. The mounts have a lot of vertical adjustment, and the best is they are rubber insulated, OEM parts from big block mercruiser, so the vibrations are almost nil. My orginal setup however had lag bolts and the "various size" wood spacers and shims to align engine. Now every thing is bolted to stringers & mounts, (all stainless hardware) been running this deal for 4 years with no issues whatso ever.
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 12:52pm
These pics are from Todd (mackwrench):

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 12:53pm
Man I like those mounts. Where do I go to get them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 1:06pm
I got those from www.ebasicpower.com
Part # MMDF210 $22 buck each
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 1:13pm
Maybe this will link to them:

http://ebasicpower.american-data.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=eBasicPower&Category_Code=MER6G
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 1:28pm
Are all 4 mounts the same part?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 1:31pm
Yep
NO LONGER A MEMBER
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 6:07pm
Wow! Thanks for all the help! Not into Eskimo rolls. Guess I'll have to make the proper repairs.

David: when you say "epoxy resin", do you mean the Dr. Rot stuff?

I've been checking out this website and someone said there's a product for wood repair at Home Depot that's just as good. Someone else complained about another similar product also available on the web that they said was junk. Any recommendations?

Thomas
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 6:14pm
Well, sort of. Dr. Rot is essentially expensive thinned epoxy resin. Go to Home Depot, buy the two part marine epoxy resin that is sold in the paint section. Buy a pint of acetone and you are set. Another expensive product mentioned often is "Git Rot" is all essentially the same. Make it yourself and save. And you will have the resin to glass over the dowels when you are done (not thinned, of course).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 10:48pm
David, when do you add the acetone? Do you wait until the epoxy begins to setup in the mixing cup? About how much acetone do you add? 50%?
1 to 1 mixed epoxy to acetone? More? Less? Does adding acetone delay the setup?
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 11:25pm
Just got back from Home Depot. Not sure I got the right stuff. It's Loctite brand "Aquamarine Epoxy". It has .85 fl. oz. in a syringe-type container that has 2 parts. Container says it dries gray. Also says it sets in 10 minutes & it's for "Surfaces exposed to intermittent water immersion".

The store clerk took me right to it when I asked for "marine epoxy". I asked if they had something else like it. He gave me a vacant stare like how could I ever want anything else.

Thomas
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 4:02am
The last two times I was in Home Depot they did not have any marine epoxy. They used to have it in 1 gallon cans. Maybe they no longer carry it.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 10:53am
Jim,You want to add your acetone after the resin is mixed up. You don't want a 50/50 mix as it will thin it out too much. Add a little at a time to make it water like. It will delay set up a little but not a whole lot. Use a heat gunor hair dryer to heat up your resin to make it soak into the cloth better if you don't cut it. WARNING- don't get to hot for too long or it WILL kick it off.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 12:19pm
Morfoot's got it right. I would add about 20% acetone.

Tleed: You got the wrong stuff. The epoxy that my local Home Depot's carries is Bondo brand and comes in two one pint cans held together with a white plastic cover. The cans are generally light blue in color and are located next to the fiberglass cloth and polyester resins. It is a 1:1 ratio resin with a medium to high pot life (30-45 minutes).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 5:28pm
I thought "epoxy" was an adhesive like glue. I drilled a row of 5/8 holes in top of stinger and filled with just regular fiberglass/polyester resin. The stainless "plates" pictured above then bolted through where filled. But I had very little rot, mostly where the old lag bolts were.
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 5:46pm
My understanding is the epoxy resins are generally stronger (whatever that means) than the polyesters. I also read that polyesters do not bind well to epoxy resined structures. The trade off is that cure time can be "adjusted" with polyesters by changing the ratio of hardener to resin and not so with epoxy. I am sure there are more differences but I am way outside the realm of things I know anything about.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 5:51pm
Jim:

You have it correct. The other benefit to epoxy is that it does not shrink as it cures whereas polyester resin does. Epoxies have three drawbacks:

1. Can cause skin allergies after cumulative prolonged exposure...so keep it off your skin.
2. Significantly higher cost than polyester resins.
3. Harder to work with when wetting out fiberglass mat or roving. Also, does NOT disolve the binders in regular mat, so "sewn" mat should be used.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 6:36pm
Whew! Glad you guys got that stright! lol! Jim, you gona look into those mounts?
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 8:32pm
Yes I am. Probably for my '66. I am looking very hard at your pics. It looks like you have fabricated brackets that bolt to your motor and trans frames. Is that right?

The rear mounts on my '68 sit on a small piece of plywood (for a shim). It looks factory but it looks real cheezy. I'm just in the thinking stage right now.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 10:21pm
What size are the lag bolts supposed to be? Mine are so rusty I can hardly tell.

My local Lowe's has 1/2" stainless 6" long, but they look way too big in diameter.

Thomas
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 3:37am
Drilled out the holes where my motor mount lag bolts were. The consistency of the shavings could best be described as "rich, dark mud". I figured it would be bad, but there really wasn't much that was hard there.

So how bad is "bad"?

I'm not afraid to fix it, but now I'm wondering how far I need to dig into the stringer. Do I need to cut out a whole section and splice new board in? If so, how do you go about doing that to preserve structural integrity?

Thomas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 12:24pm
Jim, The front engine brackets are as before, I drilled out the center "lag" bolt hole to accept the new mount. The new mount is about the same height as the old wood "shim" and now has threaded adjustment up & down. The rear was a little more..... I did fab the rears, their is a 3/4 or so shaft the comes of the trans mount, I cut the OEM mount off that shaft and welded a "L" peice of stainless to it, drilled a 3/4" hole in the top for the mount. It seems hard but was really simple do do. A good way to lose some of the "vibes" these old tubs have! Maybe my pics are not so detailed, I'll take some more and send them to you.... No comments on my stainless braided hose exhaust? My dad worked for a major chemical trucking company and it was used to pump some kind of acid...
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 12:30pm
I noticed the hose and I wondered where you got them. Nice.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 2:00pm
Tleed:

Well, not great news. You have a couple options:

1. Attempt to pour in epoxy and hope it is not endless. If you discover it to be endless (thinned epoxy runs in continuously) then go ahead a pour in thickened epoxy (thicken with talc powder or fine saw dust) and set your dowel. Reinstall motor mount bolts (after curing) and monitor over time.

2. Cut off top inside corner of fiberglass over stringer until you find solid wood, if any. If you find solid wood, then yes, you can splic in new wood. Either construct a rabbit joint or shallow taper joint and glue with epoxy. First coat each side of joint with resin, then glue with thickened resin to fill voids and prevent the resin from running out of the joint (second step before first step cures out). Replace fiberglass covering. Let me know if you need pointer here.

IMHO: The fiberglass covering over the stringe is more important than the wood as far as the structure is concerned, so this needs to be repaired properly. There are many boats with totally rotten wood stringers that have not suffered structural failure due the fiberglass handling most if not all the loads. The wood is mainly there to hold screws and act as a form. It also absorbs shock and vibration to some extint.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic