Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Rails

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Rails
    Posted: December-21-2007 at 10:56am
Well I did some polishing myself to see what would happen.I found that using a buffing wheel on a grinder with jewelers rouge works pretty well in buffing the railings.You can see where some of the finish has worn off over the years,but it looks better than it did when I first started.Also used a little Eagle One's Never Dull for finishing the small areas and clear coated them in the end.
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 11:14am
Well I took the rails to the anodizer in town where I live and he really acted like he didn't want to touch them.He suggested buffing them down and clear coating the railings.Plus on top of that he said all the supports on the railings would have to come off,but since the tubing is bent he thought the supports would not make it around the bends.I'll try that myself later.I just wanted to see if they would do the railings before I completely take them all apart.I just kept getting the run around.
dsums View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2007 at 2:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Brian, The rails were never chromed so you are going to the wrong shop! They are anodized aluminum so you should be going to a anodizer. They can strip them and clear anodize again. Do not powder coat as it won't stick for very long.

Not to take this too far off track but there is a term for this feeling you had when you heard the price
BOHICA
Bend Over Here It Comes Again
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 10:07pm
I'm taking the rails over to the anodizer company that Peter found for me.They wanted to look at them and they said there turn around time was about a week and a half.Thats alot better than the 8 weeks at the chrome company.I will let you know how it works out.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2007 at 1:51pm
If you want to polish them up yourself, you need to remove the old anodized finish first. Easy off oven cleaner will take off the finish and then you could polish them up from there. You will have to polish them from time to time but a good wax will help to prolong the time interval.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 11:49am
Thanks Chris!! I did notice that they were the same after I posted! I should have gone back and edited before you had the opportunity of pointing out my mistake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 11:47am
I will call that place on Monday and see what they say.Thanks for the heads up Pete.Chris when you get a chance could you still get me the name of the place in Indy in case this does not pan out.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 10:32am
ummm Pete just because to list came up doesn't mean there are two company's if you look at the results they are both the same.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2007 at 10:15am
Brian, You're talking to platers and not anodizers!! Just for kicks, I went to yellowbook.com and put in anodizing and Cincinnati Ohio and two popped up! Check them out.

anodizers

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 6:05pm
Peter you would think there would bre some one that could do it in Cincinnati,but when I asked the guys at the chrome shop if they knew anyone else in town they just shook there heads no.I did find two places in Michigan that does that kind of work,but Indy is much closer.I will try to do some more searching though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 5:36pm
Brian, I would think that a city like Cincinnati would have a anodizer that could take care of you. Look in the good old phone book or yellowbook.com
10 minutes of driving is better that 90!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 2:37pm
Peter,I'm going to wait till Chris gives me the name of that place in Indy.Hopefully they can help me out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 1:32pm
Brian, I think you would be better off finding a anodizer first and see what they can do with the existing. If the anodizer can't do any good then you can go to Chris's idea of getting new tubing. I'm concerned about bending the new tube to match the old. Even for someone that may do it on a daily basis it is going to be damn hard.

If you end up having to get tubing, you will want to check the temper. A 1/4 hard would be bendable by hand. A conduit bender would work if the OD of the tube is correct.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 1:19pm
Yeah I did over look it 79,thanks it gives me another option.Just let me know when you.I just wonder how easy that will bend.I wonder if you could do that with a conduit bender?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 12:41pm
guess you over looked this, stainless is a nice replacement and the aluminum stuff will all ready be coated.

rails
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 12:31pm
79 I looked on West Marine's website and they didn't have the tubing.I went to Taco Metal's and they had the aluminum,but I don't think it was anodized.For that fact i could just buy that,polish itand put some sort of a clear coat on it to keep the polished look.Taco didn't have the fittings so I guess I could have them chromed at the local shop.But if you can I would still like the name of the place in Indy when you get a chance.
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 11:51am
Thanks 79.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 11:43am
west marine should have it. I'll have to call me buddy and get the shop's name. i've never had any work done by them but they did work for us when I worked at Depuy. Give me a couple of days to get it.
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 4:22am
Hey 79 what is the name of the shop in Indy.The reason being I don't live in Florida.I live in Florencre,Ky which is 10 minutes south of Cincinnati.I can be in Indy in about an hour and a half.In terms of maybe bending new pipe,where would I go looking for anodized piping?Thanks for the help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2007 at 1:54am
Never dull isn't going to work if it was anodized which it appears that it is, you can tell if it is if it is flaked or looks like a coat of varnish has been applied. There's a quality shop in Indy that does good work But I don't think thats going to help you any Brian being FLa like you are. it need's to be striped and cleaned and re anodized. Since it is clear you can not get a
type III anodize which is hard and last much longer, but if you want a little color contrast then the type III is the way to go. Your best bet might be to just purchase new new tubing bend it and buy new fittings/anchors as well you have pattern to go by and it might be a wash in price refinishing what you have vs. buying new and new might be a shade cheaper.
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 9:30pm
I know the rails were never chromed orginally.I was just going for a brighter finish.The rails are anodized originally.I have tried the never dull but it really doesn't do the job that I'm looking for.Truely the finish is just wearing off especially down in the ladder region.Does any one know a anodizer?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 9:15pm
My guess was polished as well but I'm not certain.

You may have better luck finding an anodizer with a larger tank as they are typically dealing with larger parts than a plater.

My experience with chrome plating makes me think your $230 per railing is not that out of line. I had several pieces done last winter and it ain't easy on the wallet.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 8:45pm
Chris, Considering how the rail holds up for a decent amount of years, I've got to say that they were anodized originally. If they weren't, you would see lots of white rust in the socket connectors where moisture gets trapped. I have installed some as well and when drilling the tubing you run into that harder top surface.
The Never Dull is a good idea but it may give it more of a shine.
Absolutely yes on the fittings being chrome on die cast.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 7:58pm
Well Pete I would question if a type I anodizing was ever done to them, my guess would be that they where just polished and that might be the best route to go, just get some eagle one never dull and go to town. Now for the attachment hardware those pieces might be chrome plated zinc but the rails and steps maybe not.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 7:00pm
Brian, The rails were never chromed so you are going to the wrong shop! They are anodized aluminum so you should be going to a anodizer. They can strip them and clear anodize again. Do not powder coat as it won't stick for very long.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2007 at 5:25pm
Ok guys I need a suggestions and advice.On my 1978 Mustang the back railings that wrap around the back of the boat and then go down to make the ladder.I took them off before I put the boat up for the season.My intention was to get them rechromed over the winter because the finish is wearing pretty thin.Well I went to the chrome shop today and he said he couldn't do them because is bath wasn't big enough for the railings.He said there is a longer process in chroming aluminum.Plus on top of that he was going to charge me $230.00 per railing.I felt like getting the grease out for my ass because I knew it was going to hurt when it was sliding in.Well needless to say I brought my railings back home with me.Now my question is there a aftermarket company that I can get these railings from?Also I was thinking about powdercoating them,but I not sure how that will hold up in the water over a period of time.Just curious wth what you guys have run into with my situation.Any comments would be helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic