Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

antifreeze through trans cooler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: antifreeze through trans cooler
    Posted: December-29-2007 at 12:58am
We have done this in the past without problems, but wanted to run it past you guys. If a person drains the engine block, manifolds, and RWP...is it possible (or safe) to pour the antifreeze through the top of the trans cooler so it will pump through the motor? The previous owner along with me the first 2 years used this as the winterization process.

Is it just a much better practice to take the thermostat out and pour antifreeze into the block that way then fill the manifolds?

I am just thinking about this and wondering if the manifolds will fill before the block will be completely filled? Wonder how long it takes for the thermostat to close after you shut the motor down? I guess the procedure would be to get the boat on the trailer and in the parking lot. Drain block and mainfolds. Probably 5 minutes or so. Then get filling the system with antifreeze through the trans cooler while running. When pouring the last gallon in, start fogging motor. Again, we have done this before, but wondering if I am playing with fire?

This winter skiing thing is almost over rated. Is there some kind of award for coldest outing of the year???? Maybe just dumbass award!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 10:15am
Todd,

I think it is 6 of one, half dozen of another. Everyone has their own opinion & preference. The previous 2 years, I always warmed the engine up, then used the "suck antifreeze from the bucket" method via the hose coming from the water strainer (prior to the trans. cooler - ?). This year I took the t-stat housing off and poured it in that way. I am still trying to determine for myself my preferred method.

Are you still skiing?!?!? If I remember correctly, you are near Clinton Lake.   What's the story?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2007 at 12:12pm
Todd, if you drain the block and manifolds, the block will fill with AF first before the manifolds even if the engine is stone cold, my friend. The T-stat is not even in the equation.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2007 at 2:25am
Well, it looks like we are going to venture to the lake tomorrow. Let it run in the driveway for a little bit before we got to the lake just to make sure it will work well. I am looking at it as "maintenance" or circulating the oil. HA! I know I will throw the drysuit in and ski. Dumb, but who can resist. I have skied in January and February, but never December. Supposed to be in the upper 30's. At least I don't have to pack ice for the beer!

Later
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weitekampt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2007 at 10:05pm
Didn't go to the lake. Instead of driving the boat, I was driving the toilet bus. Got a bout of the 6 hour flu. We had the dry suit out and everything. Maybe this weekend though! It is supposed to be 50 or so!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
Dembry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dembry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Todd, if you drain the block and manifolds, the block will fill with AF first before the manifolds even if the engine is stone cold, my friend. The T-stat is not even in the equation.

I've got a question with respect to that. Hope this is not a thread jack. Anyhow, I've got a 83' SN2001 and I've noticed that if I pour the AF into the top hose off the RWP. It runs into the tstat housing and then straight out through the exhaust manifolds?? I assumed it was because the tstat was closed since the boat was cold. I was trying to figure out a way aroudn this. Other than running the boat up to temp and then pouring\sucking it in. Any advice?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2008 at 11:20pm
You need to drain the block first of all the lake water, then it WILL fill with A/F by pouring down that hose.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You need to drain the block first of all the lake water, then it WILL fill with A/F by pouring down that hose.

yea right..... who told you what to say
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 11:57am
PCM manual...

This the only way I've ever winterized.
Dembry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dembry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 2:02pm
i have drained the block, manifolds, water strainer, even the lines to the transmission. Still when I remove the hose from the top of the RWP and pour in, it runs straight out the manifold drains. I left them out on purpose so I would know when the block was full. But as soon as I start pouring it was coming out of the drains there. So I know the block is nowhere remotely close to being full of the AF. I have read posts that go both ways "ou have to run the boat up to temp to open the tstat before it will go in the block" and now that you DONT have to have the tstat open to get it in the block???? Its no problem for me to pull the tstat housing and that is more than likely what I am going to do since I've run into this, I just want to know which is true. The manual says nothing about running up to temp OR pulling the t-stat housing which makes me inclined to believe that you do not have to have it open. But if thats the case why am I not getting anything in the block.     
Dembry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dembry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 2:11pm
Looks like this same discussion is going on in the "back filling with antifreeze" thread and there is some confusion there too???

If it matters, I have the 83' SN2001. Ford 351. For you guys that know more about the motors than I do, I have the one WITHOUT the little u-shaped connection below the RWP.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Dembry Dembry wrote:

If it matters, I have the 83' SN2001. Ford 351. For you guys that know more about the motors than I do, I have the one WITHOUT the little u-shaped connection below the RWP.

If you have a Commander (pictured below) and not a PCM, that changes everything. While the cooling systems are similar, they are not identical. All the discussion has been regarding the PCM system.

Try pulling the lower end of the hose going to the circ pump and see if its holding any water.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Dembry Dembry wrote:

i have drained the block, manifolds, water strainer, even the lines to the transmission. Still when I remove the hose from the top of the RWP and pour in, it runs straight out the manifold drains.

Actually this is true. You have to replace the manifold drains as you'll get a little flow out of them when you pour it in. It doesn't mean that none is going to the block, it just means gravity is doing its job and splashing a bit of AF into the manifolds before committing to the block. So, replace ALL drains, then backfill.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 4:44pm
Without knowing what the inside of that t-stat housing looks like I don't know where the A/F will want to go. It still does look however that if you removed the hose from the output of the RWP and poured into that the flow would take it down the hose on the left going to the circulation pump, same as a PCM. If that is full of water, the A/F will fill the housing and dump out the manifolds.
Dembry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dembry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you have a Commander (pictured below) and not a PCM, that changes everything. While the cooling systems are similar, they are not identical. All the discussion has been regarding the PCM system.

Try pulling the lower end of the hose going to the circ pump and see if its holding any water.

I should have explained, sorry about that. Yes that is exactly what I have. Alright, thanks guys, I will pul the hose to the circ. pump and see what I get. If nothing else, like I said, Im just going to pull the t-stat housing and pour in that way. Damn all this talk of winterizing really depresses me.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2008 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If that is full of water, the A/F will fill the housing and dump out the manifolds.

That was my initial thought, but I dont think thats correct. If the block is otherwise drained, antifreeze will find its way in there (gravity) whether that hose has water in it or not.

I think Joel is right. Since both paths (stat housing-->manifolds and stat housing-->circ pump) are open, its possible some a/f will enter the manifolds before the block is full. Do as he suggested- put all your plugs back in and then start pouring. You should be able to get ~3 gallons in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic