NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3LB Custom Trailer rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 12:49pm
Don't give up on the muffler shops either, some of the better ones may have a mandrel bender.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan, A good electrician will have the exact bender required. The pipe used is 1 1/4" scd. 40 pipe. It is the same thing that a electrician will call "heavy wall".
Glad to hear you are making progress.

Pete, I was over to Farm & Fleet last weekend and was eyeballing this exact pipe. Can you actually bend this stuff with one of those hand held benders, it's pretty heavy stuff. My neighbor's a HVAC guy and I saw what looks like a large conduit bender in the corner of his shop so I may talk to him and see if I can borrow it.

Steve, Obviously I didn't take you up on your offer of Garage space for painting but I do appreciate the offer. With my time being scarce as it is I decided to just have it done, But Thank you.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 1:20pm
Alan, Any heavy wall conduit larger than 3/4" is not the hand held bender. It is a machine.

Heavy wall (ridgid conduit) bender.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 6:57pm
We have lots of those at work Alan bring over. Oh wait that would be quite a drive for you sorry.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 11:29pm
Well I've made some good progress in the past 2 weeks so here's a few pictures. I still have to finish hooking up the lights, fabricate my guide poles, paint the blue dtail stripe,reinstall all the aluminum trim and install the prop guard.

I spent 8 hours wetsanding and buffing but it was worth it. Also have about 40 feet of painted aluminum trim that I need to strip and buff, lots of hours there but the few feet I've done looks good.

New tires and wheels will be coming soon and mount the spare tire carrier.

Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2008 at 11:59pm
That looks nice.....
88 2001
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 12:28am
Alan,
NICE!!!!! That makes your boat look like a trophy on a pedestal!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 1:44am
Alan: Had a trailer like yours under my Yellow '78. Gotta find a picture. Buy yours is looking awesome. The older boats just seem to be made for a trailer like this. It just looks so cool sitting on the trailer. But we know she ain't a trailer queen.

Thought you were gonna call me?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 2:16am
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I'm so happy that you can finally get the boat back in the garage now, as I know it was killing you. The 81 looks like it belongs there. Much, much, better than the old one. Congrats!

Rob
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 2:20am
For comparison:

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 2:26am
Makes the whole boat look different don't it Rob?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 11:24am
Alan, All I can say is wow! I hope you'll get a chance to use the boat because you won't want to take it off such a great looking trailer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 12:11pm
Alan, hell with the boat and trailer...I like your garage door JK beautifal boat...
harbor freight sells a hydraulic pipe bender, i think the mandrels go up to 3", i paid $89.00 it is not for everyday use but works great for exactly this
"the things you own will start to own you"
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 12:19pm
Unbelievable Alan,
Adding the comparison picture really highlites it.
That rig looks fantastic!
Very cool.
Are ya gonna paint the Bounder to match now???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by NAUTI84 NAUTI84 wrote:

Are ya gonna paint the Bounder to match now???

Ha! Scott as twisted as I am the thought has crossed my mind.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Eric, I love those doors and the cedar siding until I realized that the doors need refinishing and the house needs to be powerwashed and stained this summer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 1:10pm
I just looked out back at my deck and i know what my first job will be in the spring, i hate doing s-it around the house
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I just looked out back at my deck and i know what my first job will be in the spring, i hate doing s-it around the house

I still have to finish the deck project I started last spring and we'd like to replace the double french entry doors of the house too. Replaced the roof and skylight last summer. There's so much crap to do that when I sit down for 3 hours to watch a football game I feel like I'm breaking the law. I guess I could be sleeping in a cardboard box so I'll be grateful and get back work. Have a good sunday, I'm gonna try to watch a little football and see who the Pat's will be playing next week.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 1:30pm
dont feel guilty about enjoying life a little... you probably deserve it, its a good day to watch some football
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2008 at 3:05pm
That trailer is definitely hot. I will mention that to the old trailer's credit I thought it was also a neat, rare period piece as well (although obviously not as cool).

The blue carpeting is a really nice touch.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 1:58am
Great job Alan,realy complements your boat.Did you ever think you'd be working on the boat,in the driveway no less,in January?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 11:24am
Way to go Magic !!!! She's looking great for sure.. !!!! Nothing else to say that hasn't already been said....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

That trailer is definitely hot. I will mention that to the old trailer's credit I thought it was also a neat, rare period piece as well (although obviously not as cool).

I tried real hard to make a 3 way trade so Mojo could end up with my old trailer but I couldn't make it happen. It was a nice functional piece but I never thought it looked very good.

Gary, Warm enough to wash the boat before putting it back to bed for a few more months. Supposed to drop to single digits by weekend
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 12:26pm
The cover did match the old trailer better...that's about it though.

What size rims are you going with, 18 or 20"?
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 4:19pm
Trailer looks awesome. Can't wait to see it with the new tires and wheels.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 7:10pm
Alan
That trailer looks sweet, the fiber glass pan looks like you can see yourself in it from here. Looks like all that hard work is paying off.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2008 at 8:11pm
Ever find a source for bending? I have a few shops I can get to do it, but its not cheap only needing 1 set.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 11:26am
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Ever find a source for bending? I have a few shops I can get to do it, but its not cheap only needing 1 set.

I'm working on a set now, not sure if they'll be as strong as I'd like them to be but if not I'll atleast have a pattern for a real shop to follow so I may take you up on your source. Probably a couple of weeks before I get back at it though. Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 11:40am
Alan, What happened with your HVAC neighbor and his bender? Or a electrical contractor? I'm just thinking that it would be cheaper and you wouldn't need to worry about shipping.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alan, What happened with your HVAC neighbor and his bender? Or a electrical contractor? I'm just thinking that it would be cheaper and you wouldn't need to worry about shipping.

Hvac guys bender is too small but what I found at an electrical supply store was pre-bent 90 degree elbows. I purchased a couple of those and a length of pipe. I'll have to do a little fab work to get the angles where I want and then I thought I'd weld it all together. This is just an excuse for me to play with the welder again because I love building things. If they come out ok I'll use them and if they're not exactly what I want atleast I'll have a templete for a pro. I just hate to pay someone to do something I feel I can attempt myself, I know it'll take someone with the right tools about 15 minutes to bend the pipe and probably charge me out the wazzoo!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2008 at 3:13pm
I forgot to offer, but if you want to borrow one of our guides to test fit your trailer and possibly build off of, let me know. I'm sure PLBC and I could relay it to you. I still have a carb I need to give back. Anything else I'm forgetting?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic