Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spark Plug Wires

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spark Plug Wires
    Posted: February-07-2008 at 5:11am
Hi,

I need to replace my spark plug wires... Can anyone recommend some?

I could order from Skidim, but I'd profer to buy from a local auto store (I live in South Africa).

Can I buy automotive ones? If so, what model car should I specify?

Thanks,
Greg
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 11:25am
One problem with using automotive wires is that they may not be long enough because of the exhaust manifolds. If you wanted to go that route you could buy one of those 7mm or 8mm universal wire kits where you make the wires the length you need.

Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 11:43am
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

One problem with uses automotive wires is that they may not be long enough because of the exhaust manifolds. If you wanted to go that route you could buy one of those 7mm or 8mm universal wire kits where you make the wires the length you need.

This is what I did. I bought some Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm universal wires and terminated them myself. Piece of cake.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 2:30pm
Tim,
   Are running a DUI ignition too? I guess you got the 90 degrees ones for a V8.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 2:55pm
I am. IIRC, the universal kit comes with bother terminations (90deg and 135deg), and you cut off whichever one you dont want to use. You then have the choice to terminate with either the male or female terminals (both are supplied) depending on whether you have a Ford or HEI style dist.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 3:08pm
One word of caution here tho:

Buy a good set of crimpers that have the dies for insalling the terminals.I have a set of Beldens that have served me well,but even these can be tricky at best. Making that initial roll can be a bitch, and the end result is determined by this first step........Boat dr
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 3:51pm
Do you need a special tool for the Taylor universal kit?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 4:00pm
If it is a custom set, you will have to install one end on the wires.
Herein lies the use of the terminal pliers, and the ones that most people have are not suited to be used with spark plug terminals.
A pair of pliers will work, and brain surgery can be performed with a hack saw.Just have the proper tools to properly do a job............Boat dr
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 4:18pm
Hi,

Thanks very much for the replies :)

My best best is probably ordering a set from Skidim.

Our local auto parts store can also match up individual wires, so I might try that too.

Cheers
Greg
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Do you need a special tool for the Taylor universal kit?

Like Doc said. I bought a tool at NAPA ($8) that specifically had the spark plug crimper built in. Now Im good for the next time I build a set... assuming I can find it.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 4:57pm
another little trick to expose the core is to use a coax cable tool to strip the wire and expose the the core that should be folded over before it is crimped. Wire stripers don't work very good on silcone jackets as there is too much give on them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic