NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

steering stuck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bk_broiler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering stuck
    Posted: February-05-2008 at 4:52am
Hello everyone,

Another quick question. I've been working to restore my 81 Nautique and I've hit a snag. I pulled out hte old carpet (floor was ROCK SOLID underneath, as were the stringers in every spot I could access them (i.e., the ends and the mounting bolts). After doing so, I noticed the steering wheel would no longer turn. I checked the cable everywhere i could see it, it didn't seem snagged, the rudder is free from obstuction, and the connection towards the rudder seems fine.

I'll likely take it to a mechanic, unless someone has a good suggestion for me :)

Thanks!

Brian
JUST-IN-TIME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUST-IN-TIME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 6:26am
un-bolt the rudder end of the cable
try turning the wheel
if still stuck, you got bad cable

these will go out if you do not use the boat that much

we replaced about 15 last year in all year boats
www.switchbait.com
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 12:14pm
Yup, somebody on the site used to post reminders to occassionally crank the wheel back and forth while your boat is in storage because the cables tend to lock.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 1:28pm
Is it cold out where you are? My 17 yr old cable froze up last winter when I missed my monthly cranking. It freed up by spring, but I replaced the cable anyways. No such problems this winter.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 7:22pm
Ah, it is cold. I guess I could look to have it replaced. How much does it cost to have a mechanic replace it? Otherwise, how much is the part?

Thanks,
JUST-IN-TIME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUST-IN-TIME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 8:17pm
some are fun to do, others within 1 hr
i remember this mastercraft we did, had to cut the floor to do it, just a little. We had the cable in 3 pieces

Yours could be a piece of cake, unless you have to reach between the gas tank and tighten the rudder part
www.switchbait.com
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 9:52pm
A direct drive Correct Craft is a piece of cake- it should take an hour or less and you wont have to take a sawzall to the floor like in a MC. It helps to have 2 people. A '82-90 steering cable is $250, pretty much any other year will run you $100 less. Make sure you get it from a Correct Craft dealer- a generic cable will cause all sorts of problems.

Wait til it warms up- if it loosens up in the spring, you may not have to replace it just yet if you dont want to. Just be aware that you'll have to replace it eventually.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 10:28pm
I bet the cable is broken inside the helm and bunching up between the gears.
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bk_broiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 12:38pm
Tim,

If that's the case, is THAT something i can fix myself?

Or do I need a mechanic?

Thanks,

Brian
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 4:01pm
Mine did that, just took it apart and replaced the whole cable. It wouldn't feed itself out of the helm.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic