Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vibration ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vibration ?
    Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:17am

I put the 91 Sport in the lake today for the first time,   It didn't sink, and she ran great.    The only problem I noticed was that it had a slight vibration to it.

At slow Idle speed you couldn't feel it, but when you got on the gas you could feel the vibration.

The prop doesn't look that bad but it does have some nicks in it.    Could that be the source   ?
    The drive shaft looks good but is there a sure way to check it without taking it out of the boat ?   
      Or is there something else I need to look at ?     
   One of the fins have been replaced.   Looks like a square ended fin from another type inboard ski boat.    Surely that would'nt cause the vibration would it ? It was put on as the front fin.

Thanks

pmccook1

Current boat:1993 Ski Nautique " Purple "
Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:31am
Phil, Nicks in a prop can cause vibration as well as a bent shaft or shaft alignment. Have you checked the alignment? Part of the alignment proceedure will check for a bent shaft forward of the strut but if it is bent close to the prop (aft of the strut) then a dial indicator is needed. Both are done on the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 3:37pm
Heres a pic of the Prop,   It looks like I might need to start there right ?

I've only got $3500 in the boat so far, So a Prop wouldn't hurt that bad, or a shaft either if needed.   This is the boat I posted about last summer that had been sitting on the side of the road for a 1yr. The paint job and the hole in the keel was making people " RUN " from it.      I bought the boat for $3K, $500 for the fixed hole. I did order some hydro-turf for the swim deck that was another 80bucks,   Changed the oil and put a new fuel/water filter on it. And got the " Nautique" stickers.    Runs like a champ except for the slight Vibration when on the throttle.   The boat will absolutely fly.     

pmccook1

Have owned : 76' ski nautique, 93' Sport Nautique, 83 Stars and stripes, 47' Chris Craft Continental
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 3:48pm
well before you take the prop off to get fixed, grab it and rotate it to get a feel for how well the shaft is aligned. You should have smooth even resitance for 360 degrees of rotation if there is a stiff spot or one area that moves easier than the rest then once the prop is fixed you need to align prop shaft and your vibration should be gone.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:24pm
with that prop on i bet the wife sits on the engine box alot underway...
"the things you own will start to own you"
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 4:33pm
   She hasn't been in the boat yet ....

pmccook1

pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 7:51pm
I turned the prop around a few times and it seems to have the same feel all the way around. Its not in a bind.

where do I start with the prop, just get a new one or have this one redone ?   All the blades have the same little wave in the edge.

Thanks

pmccook1

skijones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skijones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 8:10pm
Get your prop done, or better yet, get a new one and have the other one redone one as a spare.

I have had props that looked fine cause a variety of problems. For less than $200 you can at least eliminate one variable and have a fresh prop to start the season.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 8:15pm
Phil, Also keep in mind that all hulls will set up harmonics at certain speeds/RPM's and will "buzz". I however feel that after looking at the pictures of the prop that it is the major problem. Do check the alignment when you get a chance. It's not a bad idea to do it every year.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 8:56pm

I emailed the PropMd people with a pic and they emailed me back within a couple of minutes ,
$110 including return ship with them 2 week turn around.   

Anybody else ya'll recommend.

Does that appear to be the original prop in the picture ?   I'm not sure if it had been changed out or not.

pmccook1

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 9:27pm
#1 choice would be Eric Johnson @ OJ Popellers
Phone # 1-800-359-9730
Tell him the Boat Dr. sent you....75.00 plus shipping
#2 General Propeller ,Larry or Joel
Phone #1-941-748-1528
Same deal mention the Boat dr for a discount

The Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 9:56pm
What about our site sponsor Delta?

delta prop

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2008 at 10:19pm
I bought a prop from Delta and they were really nice. My order went thru without any problem. By the look of those tall trees I don't think you are in Texas. Otherwise I would suggest B&B Propeller Service. They have done several fixes for me and they charge me very well. Actually the last prop I took to him it has a little dent on one of the leaf and he didn't charge me. I would try what Peter or doc are suggesting.
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 7:32pm

I took the prop off today.

The nut was loose to the touch. Only thing holding it on was the cotter pin.   Grabbed the prop and it slid forward with little effort with my bare hands.    

Could this be my vibration ?    The prop not on tight enough ?    the Key was in place and not spinning freely or anything but the prop could easily slide back and forth on the shaft about a 1/8th of an inch.
      Whats the proper procedure for mounting the prop back on?   How tight do you wrench the nut on. Is there supposed to be a washer or is it just the nut bare up to the prop ?

should I still have the prop redone while I've got it off ?

Thanks

pmccook1

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 7:46pm
I don't know if your vibration was caused by having a loose prop but by the look of your prop I would definetly have it straigthen and balance. I have seen similar dents that causes vibration. A loose prop I bet it can caused vibration but I don't know how bad. But with the dent on your prop and loose I bet it would augment the behavior. Also, I read in another thread that when installing a new prop to use lapping compund. This will bore the prop insert slightly so you would have a perfect contact between the shaft and the prop. Next time you take it out it won't be as easy. I know yours has been installed in there for a while so I don't know if you would gain any major benefit but it won't hurt doing. I don't have any washer on mine so I don't know if you need it or not.
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 8:28pm

The prop that I took off is

Federal = 14 x 16 RH 1 "

I've looked all over the prop sites and haven't even seen a prop this size listed for a Correct Craft.

Is this what would have come on a Sport N from the factory ?

pmccook1

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 9:10pm
If you have a 351 with 1:23 transmission I saw another forum that this size was one of the factory size. I don't know if that was for a SSN like yours. The best advice is to call ACME and talk to them. Maybe is time for you to buy a nice prop. You won't regret. Maybe an ACME 470 or a 1442 (if engine mods) would be appropriate. Call ACME and they would tell you. Get a new one and fix that one and leave it as a spare one.
pmccook1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmccook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 9:36pm
Yep thats what I'm pretty much looking at now.

Came across another forum that didnt give much praise for a Federal prop at all.

Seems like everybodys raving about the Acme's. ?

pmccook1

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 9:50pm
Phil, The prop not seated on the taper was most likely the vibration but do send the prop in for a tune up as long as it's off.

The prop nut, in theory doesn't hold the prop on. It is the taper in the prop and on the shaft. The nut simply pushes the prop on and seats this taper. Once the prop is tight, it is common to back off the nut so the cotter pin will go in the shaft. The nut will act as a just in case safety if the taper doesn't hold and when put in reverse you won't loose the prop. Lapping the taper is recommended by the prop manufacturers but not done very often but since you prop has been run loose, it may not be a bad idea. When you send the prop in you will want to mention it's been run loose. They can check the taper and ream if needed.

Washer not required.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by pmccook1 pmccook1 wrote:

Seems like everybodys raving about the Acme's. ?

I bought one since I didn't have any other option. If you read other people story how much they have gained and how much better their boats run is a no brainer. Just by seen a new one you start realizing why people are so happy with them. I bet others are good but ACME seems like is the "you can't go wrong" option.

BTW, if you are buying one I recommend the site sponsor, Delta. Use the CCfan discount. I search a lot and this was the cheapest plus a discount. The prop arrived within a week. No problems on the transaction.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 10:44pm
cook, post a new thread regarding what prop you should purchase, just saying the size sounds a little funny to me and by all means buy from delta, on the post put all the info and someone here will get that boat dialed in with the correct prop if it isnt already.
that prop you have took a good hit and may have bent the shaft a bit, also may have a bend in the strut to.
btw, good deal on the tub
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic