NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust hose.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tjeffery72Mus. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust hose.
    Posted: May-20-2008 at 5:08am
Hi again guys, So I went out for the first time today, after replaceing the exhaust manifold gasket on the left side of the engine, it had a 1/2 inch hole in it and water had no problem getting past. So im full throttle flying across the lake and I noticed smoke comeing out from under the dog house, I immediately grabbed my fire extinguisher and lifted the houseing up to find that there was no fire but a large hole in the exhaust hose that came from the down pipe and connected to the long pipe that goes out the back of the boat, there was alot of water comeing into the boat and I was about 1 mile away from the boat ramp, this sucked horrible because I never thought that I would
have to deal with the fear of sinking, not a good feeling if you have been there. So here I am with a long weekend comeing up a and I have to replace this. I just hope I can get some pipe from a nearby store or marina.
The Guy.

azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 11:21am
I hear ya on the feeling of sinking! If you read my "Disaster Strikes" thread, you know that I have been there.

So what did you do? Floor it and haul a$$ back to the ramp? I would think that if you are on a plane, a lot less water would be going through the hole and mostly going out the exhaust.

You should be able to pick up the exhaust hose at West Marine or somewhere like that.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 3:32pm
Yeah, I hauled ass back to the ramp and the speed helped keep the water from pouring into the boat, when I got there I kept the idle up without the prop engaged, the water just sprayed everywhere, I eventually got the boat out of the water, this was quite the experience though... I tried to check out the your thread but an error came up...
The Guy.

jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 5:43pm
Putting that exhaust hose on sucks too.

Speaking of sinking. When I test drove my boat the guy forgot to put the plug in. It was funny when he realized it and tried to play it all cool by saying he just wanted to show me how if you left the plug out and got water in there it would make the wake bigger for wakeboarding.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 9:03pm
Did you tell that guy you werent born yesterday. lol
The Guy.

80 Ski-Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 12:51am
Make sure you get the right hose. It isn't any fun replacing that stuff either. I have had trouble with my boat, it always splits right where it makes that hard bend on the Ski-Tiques. I had a friend of mine make it all out of alluminized tubing and eliminated all the hose except a short piece that just connects the pipe to the manifolds and thru hulls. Haven't had a problem since but it does sound like a Donzi coming across the lake!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2008 at 3:33am
Lol, I bet it does........
The Guy.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 9:25pm
Ok so I tried fixing this but I bought the wrong hose, now I just dont even now what to call this hose that was on here, it is flexible and does not pinch. I dont know where to find it, I got this straight hose in hopes that it would bend and it did just enough not to let any water by. I havent been this agrivated in a long time, part of it is not haveing that much monry, and when you spend it on something and it doesnt work, its a dam nightmare.

Its not made of rubber but it works great, I think it is really old, like 15 to 20 years, maybe I dont know????????

Well what I do know is, that I cant find it anyware.
The Guy.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 10:55pm
Thomas., Damn! That looks like a PO put a drier vent hose on it!!

That is a real tough bend to make. It won't be easy! Exhaust hose can be a real bear to work with. I have actually had to raise the rear end of a engine to get it on. What you want to look for is a corrugated exhaust hose.
You can do some searching for it but here's one at go2marine.com
hose

You may what to consider a elbow and 2 sections of tubing to act as a coupling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 11:25pm
I thought about the 2 section deal but I would rather it be just one section, the site that you put up looks to be the one that I am going to use, looks to be the right stuff, and the price is right. Thanks buddy...
The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 11:48pm
Thomas, Order some decent "T" bolt style hose clamps with the order too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2008 at 6:32pm
Will do, they will be easier to get to as well...
The Guy.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 1:14am
Pete?? Ok so what is a normal temp. for the exhaust, the stuff that I am looking at on that site is rated for 200 degrees and 250 for small amounts of time, im not sure what my temp is at full throttle, do you think 200 to 250 is good enough????
The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 10:10am
The standard stuff is fine for the temp however, you may want to ask which of the two are more flexible. The high temp is probably a silicone rubber and may have a tighter bend radius.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2008 at 7:17pm
Ok will do, this is going to suck getting this on there...
The Guy.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 12:02am
Originally posted by tjeffery72Mus. tjeffery72Mus. wrote:

Ok will do, this is going to suck getting this on there...

Don't forget what I said earlier; "I have actually had to raise the rear end of a engine to get it on."
If you don't have a overhead or a engine hoist, you can use the bottle jack trick under the manifolds. Are you familiar with it? It is in a thread someplace.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjeffery72Mus. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2008 at 6:27pm
I will put pictures on here when I am finished but that wont be for about a week or 2, Have to get paid again. lol
The Guy.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic