NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carb spacer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb spacer
    Posted: November-10-2009 at 9:26am
Should I use the stock carb spacer or not, with a Weiand stealth intake ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 9:33am
I used one with mine to get a better angle.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 11:19am
I reused my spacer. Im thinking of going with an open spacer instead of the 4-hole, though.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 11:56am
The engine is a 351W (bored)stealth intake,gt40p (ported),1.7 cobra roller rockers cam reasch cam, windage tray, crane d/r timing set, 4160 carb & 540 acme prop. I'm really hoping for 320 hp & 50 mph ? (Silver Nautique 86 2001)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 12:09pm
I would say 50mph is a reasonable goal with that engine package in a 2001 hull. Out of curiousity, why the 1.7rr's if you upgraded the cam? You could have stuck with the stock 1.6 ratio, right?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 12:33pm
My original block was cracked when I got the boat(I knew it was bad).I "found" another block out of a bronco with the intake & rockers in the deal. The heads I picked up, I ported myself. I think are just right. Cleaned up the intake bowl, cleaned up the exhaust bowl.& worked the roof of the exh. runner & gasket matched the intake(very little off the intake) & heads.
Also I just picked up a set of NOS DOOE heads that were never installed.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 8:52pm
Tim I found this information about carb spacers thought you might be interested before modding yours.

Carb Spacers

I have managed to source a Stealth intake also. Went through your old threads and found that I will have to shorten or change flame arrestor to fit the spacer with the Stealth. I have 2" clearance at the moment looks like I need 2.5".
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 9:17pm
Lewy, Ive seen the blended style of spacer before- they really look awesome and are supposed to provide the best of both worlds. The $120 pricetag hurts though!

If youve got 2" of clearance, then you may luck out. 2" is about the shortest arrestor you can fit on a Holley and not have it too hung up on the j-tubes. Thats what Ive got on my boat.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 10:38pm
Yes, CC's appear to have specified a much taller arrestor than was typical on the PCMs you see on other boats.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2009 at 11:17pm
I know I'm AFU - but I'm using a Moroso 14" low profile air cleaner and instead of a 3" filter I made a 2 5/8 flame arrester of stainless screen and stainless perforated .032 sheet metal.It clears the J tubes by 1/8 inch. USCG approved AHHH - SAFE YES. That's as low as I could get.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 12:29am
[QUOTE=TRBenj] The $120 pricetag hurts though!
QUOTE]

Tim good news, with the exchange rate it's only $111    
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 3:52am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If youve got 2" of clearance, then you may luck out. 2" is about the shortest arrestor you can fit on a Holley and not have it too hung up on the j-tubes. Thats what Ive got on my boat.

May have misled you a bit. I have 2" available above the existing arrestor with the PCM cover on it. The Stealth is 2.5" taller than the standard manifold according to the old posts. So I will need to adjust either the arrestor or engine cover.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

May have misled you a bit. I have 2" available above the existing arrestor with the PCM cover on it. The Stealth is 2.5" taller than the standard manifold according to the old posts. So I will need to adjust either the arrestor or engine cover.

Gotcha. Either way, you should be good by swapping arrestors. I assume your stock piece is 3" tall?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2009 at 12:31pm

Lewy, Ive seen the blended style of spacer before- they really look awesome and are supposed to provide the best of both worlds. The $120 pricetag hurts though!

I could make up a few of those for around $50 each. They would only take 30 mins of so on our cnc mill.

Tim

YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2009 at 11:51pm
All right I'm curious. Can I bolt one of these intakes on without any other mods? And second, is it the 8023 for our engine?
87' 2001
bud@cmenow.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bud@cmenow.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 9:58pm
are you using a flat spacer or a wedge spacer. if you are looking for an open wedge spacer, then i have one i tryed and didn't like. i will sell to you forty $40 icluding shipping. the 4 hole works much better on my 302. you might want to go to www.skidim.com and check out what they have and email them for their advice.
bud sellers
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 12:39pm
who carrys a 2 inch spark arrestor , didnt see one at skidim ,getting ready to install edelbrock perfomer manifold and looks like im going to have clearance issues
davee40
lakeland,fl
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by davee40 davee40 wrote:

who carrys a 2 inch spark arrestor , didnt see one at skidim ,getting ready to install edelbrock perfomer manifold and looks like im going to have clearance issues

They are hard to find but are out there. I'm sure someone will chime in with a idea.

BTW, Skidim is no longer a supporter of this site so shop elsewhere. There are plenty of good if not better sources out there for parts. "Correct parts"? give them a call.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 12:59pm
didnt know that pete thanks ,i waz wondering if i could just cut down the one i have ?
davee40
lakeland,fl
davee40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davee40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 1:41pm
Hey jody chime in your input if you see this
davee40
lakeland,fl
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2009 at 2:52pm
Try Googling E basic power. I got one from them a while back.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2010 at 11:00am
If you put 1.7 rockers on the intake valves you can gain some more power, leave the exhaust at 1.6 Be sure you have enough clearance, multiply 1.7 x the true valve lift, it will give you the valve lift. With the standard deck clearance there should be no problem.
This way it allows the valve to open sooner and more fuel to come in the cylinder.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2010 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by SS 201 SS 201 wrote:

If you put 1.7 rockers on the intake valves you can gain some more power......This way it allows the valve to open sooner and more fuel to come in the cylinder.

This may be a small detail but the 1.7 rockers shouldn't make any change in when the valves open, that would require a different cam. It will allow them to open up further however.
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 11:46am
It does, do the math, done every day. It was suggestion I guess this forum doesn't want to learn, Now I know why I quit posting, never changes.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

If you put 1.7 rockers on the intake valves you can gain some more power......This way it allows the valve to open sooner and more fuel to come in the cylinder.

This may be a small detail but the 1.7 rockers shouldn't make any change in when the valves open, that would require a different cam. It will allow them to open up further however.

It does, do the math, done every day. It was suggestion I guess this forum doesn't want to learn, Now I know why I quit posting, never changes.

I'd like to see the math on the concept. I'm totally open to learning whatever the result shows however am curious how the rocker ratio will change when the valves open. I would think a cam profile change would be needed as well.

BTW, this is a forum of open discussion with different views. I'm sure by now you have run into many different opinions but haven't learned to listen to different opinions. I'm sorry to hear that you will be no longer posting as I do know you have many years of engine experience behind you. Make sure you provide the math before you stop posting!!

EDIT:
Doing a preliminary search, I was able to find this. Looks like all the opening and closing points are the same with different ratio rockers.

Maybe more math is needed!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 12:38pm
Keep posting SS201. Everyone likes your posts!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 1:39pm
Sometimes the way people describe things really doesn't get the point across. Pete's graph shows that the valves don't open any sooner BUT higher ratio rocker arms do in effect change the profile of the cam. You'll see that not only do the valves open to a higher lift but they open "faster" evidenced by the wider curve in the graph, I think this could easily be misinterpreted as opening sooner. Either way you want to call it the advice to install 1.7 rockers is good bang for the buck without having to go with a new cam.

Only question I have is why only on the intake valves?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2010 at 9:22pm
Only one problem tho,changing 1.7's won't do him any good, he already has them                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

The engine is a 351W (bored)stealth intake,gt40p (ported),1.7 cobra roller rockers cam reasch cam
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 12:03am
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

Your suggestion on using the 1.7 rockers to give a performance boost was a good one. As I said, I was just trying to clear up a small detail in your explanation as to why they worked. I think most of us are on this forum to learn from others.....
SS 201 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SS 201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2010 at 8:46am
Tip
Ask the cam grinder how the cam is ground. ex. some cam grinder use a advance or retard . ex. some are 2-4-degrees advance, some are 2-4 degrees retard. Now Ford uses a 8 degree retard built into the timing gear, suggest to buy a after market timing set to eliminate. When you know the cam specs you can either retard cam, or advance. Retard usually gives 100-200 rpm, advance loses 100-200 however gives more low in torque. Also can got the ratio change that's makes the cam change lift.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic