NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sticky, jerky, stiff, throttle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
merrittarnold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merrittarnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sticky, jerky, stiff, throttle
    Posted: June-26-2010 at 10:49pm
1979 Ski Nautique. Runs like a bat out of hell. We rented a house on the lake this week and it has been running non stop for 7 days. Now I find that the throttle is a little "sticky" as I am pulling back to idle.

I read all the posts. Just learned that some boat throttles have to be held onto the whole time. I don't like that. Mine stays where I put it, and that means if I am pulling my wife at 28, it stays at 28 no matter how long she skis. But that is not the problem.

Is there something I need to lubricate to make the throttle smoother, or do I have to replace the cable? I am a "hobbyist" so I may need some elementary explanations.

Background info: It started knocking last year at idle speed and I found that the throttle cable was touching the shaft coupler thingy, and the bolts on either side where thumping it. The outside wrapping of the cable is a little chewed up but not showing through to the cable.
There are motorcycles; and there are Harley Davidsons.
There are tractors; and there are John Deeres.
There are ski boats; and there are Ski Nautiques!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2010 at 11:11pm
Merritt,
I just went through this last weekend installing new throttle and shift cables on my Tique. One was getting stiff indicating it was reaching the end of it's life! In your case with the chewed up jacket, I guarantee there's internal corrosion and you need replacements. Do both - it's not worth going through the trouble of pulling one cable off and through the bilge up to the helm.

I pulled mine to get the exact lengths and had new ones in two days.

I purchased Teleflex 3300 cables from Jamestown Morse cables are a alternate.

When you get the cables, make sure you get the brass ends for them as well. They are the wear point and saw themselves in have over time.

Your biggest challenge will be at the helm control. Be very observant on how it comes apart and put it back the same way. Many have gotten goofed up up there!!!

Routing of the cables is very important. Make sure you have nice generous bends.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2010 at 1:47am
I can't add much to what Pete said. Pete's saved my butt many times- both with my tique and my wooden boat. The only thing I can add is to make sure you pull a cord through with your old one as you pull it out. You can then use it to pull the new cable through (under) the floor boards to the motor. I did mine 2 summers ago and it took an hour. It would have taken me forever if I had to thread the new cable under to the motor. By-the-way, I'm pretty much a motor rookie -constantly trying, and working through my mistakes, while simultaneously hoping any mistakes are not very expensive!
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Low_Bridge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low_Bridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 1:17am
My throttle cable went out on the 78 Tique- Do yo remember what your length was-?
Thanks
Wild Bill Terminator's Fleet
78 Ski Tique 305
86 MC TriStar 350
72 Biesemeyer DC 455

W.C. Meloon "Proverbs 3:5&6"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic