NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floor separation temp fix

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
98motorsport3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor separation temp fix
    Posted: September-13-2010 at 9:58am
I want this baby to give me a few more seasons before I do the total restoration on her. Here is an example of what my floor separation looks like.   I know people have patched/fixed/reglassed these. What type of procedure is required to patch this up to get me by a couple of more seasons? I will be doing a total floor/stringer resto in a few years as of now my stringers seem pretty good. Again I just want to fix this separation spot for now to prevent it getting any worse, and I know you guys are the fix it experts! So where do I start? Fiber glass? Epoxy?

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 12:00pm
I would grind till you have a good surface to work with and then glass over it and hope for the best.

Must have had a fatsac in it for some hours?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 3:10pm
Nelson,
Yes, hope for the best! You may think the stringers are in good shape but the floor separation is one of the indicators they aren't. From the picture, it looks like the worst is from about the engine forward. This area is a bad one for rot. Plan on doing a stringer job sooner than later.

I'm torn on doing a temporary fix with reglassing the floor to the hull sides. I'm wondering if it will do more harm than good. We've seen hulls that have stringer rot where the floor has produced gel cracking on the hull side roughly parallel with the floor. Do you have any gel cracking now?

If you do want to do a "fix", Tim above is correct. Clean/grind to decent glass, epoxy resin and several layers of glass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 10:40pm
Yeah I figure doing the stringers two seasons from now. But I don't want to hurt it anymore. Its separating in the same spot on the other side... so I'll fix them both. I love the boat so I don't plan on getting rid of it. I just want to at least slow it down. So I should fill the crack w/epoxy. Then glass over the remainder of the crack and outside of the edges some too correct? Should I put a brick over it while the epoxy cures so I don't have too much of a hump in the floor? It doesn't have to be pretty or perfect just hold for a while longer so I can do a full on floor/stringer setup.

Thanks guys!!!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

I would grind till you have a good surface to work with and then glass over it and hope for the best.

This is solid advice. Grind away the old glass until you fully expose the crack and then glass over the opening. Kind of like cutting away the dead skin of a cut and putting on a band aid
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 11:34pm
If you push straight down on that floor piece, does it mate to where it used to be?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 11:10am
For the most part yes.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

If you push straight down on that floor piece, does it mate to where it used to be?

Originally posted by 98motorsport3 98motorsport3 wrote:

For the most part yes.
Usesome weights and something flat like a piece of ply to get it close to were the floor was originally. Then you can use some thickened epoxy to fill the gap and then start laying in the several layers of glass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 4:38pm
Pete, if the area isn't too big couldn't he just grind away the separated section like you would delaminated glass and patch using mat and cloth?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Pete, if the area isn't too big couldn't he just grind away the separated section like you would delaminated glass and patch using mat and cloth?

Chris,
Even if he can push the floor down close to where it originally was, he's going to have to grind the old glass back (towards the center of the hull) and this will probably result is a fairly big gap. The glass will only bridge so much until the resin kicks so he'd have to "baby sit" it. The other option would be to shoot a can of Great Stuff foam in the gap and then trim it off after it cures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 5:30pm
I was wondering if anything moved. It might be interesting to see if anything changes on the trailer vs. in the lake.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 11:34pm
I can only imagine that there is a ton of water under your floor and find it hard to believe you don't have some serious rot issues. If you are in a garage you will be better off. Once that water is trapped in there and freezes something is going to crack.    A quick fix wont take but an afternoon but then you are going to put new carpet down and redo it 2 seasons from now? Its early, I say get nasty on that old girl this winter and break her out looking like brand new next summer.

"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 10:23am
Rot issues must not be too serious as all the motor bolts tighten up. I know that's localized but its good. I'm not ripping the boat apart this winter as I have to have back surgery. It will be at least two seasons. So nothing I can do about it. If anybody can give me any tips to make this as good as possible let me know.

Thanks
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 11:55am
You can repair the separation as talked about above but that's not going to fix the problem that caused it.
It will happen again.
How soon who knows but if you run it with ballast, it will happen sooner than later. It will more than likely cause your stress cracks to get worse also.

That's where mine failed and I didn't think my stringers were that bad, but they were.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 3:22pm
There is rot in your boat, 100% guarantee. I'm sure my Ski Tique has rot too, the question is how much?

With the 2001's you tend to see a majority of the rot in front of the engine cradle. The bulkhead and battery box are prime places to start rot. Our 88 tightened up fine, but the stringers were rotten in front of the motor.

Given your circumstances, I would patch the crack and put down some cheap carpet that looks half way decent. You can probably get two years out of it if you are careful, but I would stay way from ballast.

Also, Check alignment frequently.    
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 4:03pm
Seems like a broken record on this thread, I think Nelson relizes he has some structural issues with the Boat.                                                                But i can't blame him for not wanting to tear the floor/strigers out right after he bought the boat. He does seem smart enough to not want to keep useing it as is.                                                                   So is putting a Bandaid on it the right thing to do, it may or may not cause more cracks but,,Its your choice Nelson so i will throw in my two cents..                                                                Im no Glass expert but i would grind away until you get to good edges on the hull and floor, and lay some glass mat over can Foam, coat it with resin and let it ride until your able to fix the cause of the problem later down the road...
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2010 at 5:23pm
All the advice for the quick repair is right on target. I would not pour any resin into the hole or anything. Maybe do what Pete suggested and fill any voids with great stuff foam in a can if there are any. I would grind the crack away back an inch or two and lay fresh glass all the way across. Trying to fuse the 2 broken pieces back together will not be strong. I went through this when I repaired my cracked bucket seat frames. They are stronger than ever now.

Here are some pics
First I lined out all the cracks with sharpie. You probably dont need to do that since your cracks are very visible, but if you have smaller ones radiating outwards it helps.

This is after grinding away all the broken stuff and laying cloth on one side.

Final stage. You can see how wide I went for a hairline width crack. Your repair will probably need to be a good deal wider than that but basically the same process.

Good luck!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by NAUTIQUEjunky NAUTIQUEjunky wrote:

Seems like a broken record on this thread, I think Nelson relizes he has some structural issues with the Boat.                                                                But i can't blame him for not wanting to tear the floor/strigers out right after he bought the boat. He does seem smart enough to not want to keep useing it as is.                                                                   So is putting a Bandaid on it the right thing to do, it may or may not cause more cracks but,,Its your choice Nelson so i will throw in my two cents..                                                                Im no Glass expert but i would grind away until you get to good edges on the hull and floor, and lay some glass mat over can Foam, coat it with resin and let it ride until your able to fix the cause of the problem later down the road...

It may sound like a broken record because putting glass on a rotted structure wont get him the time out of the boat he wants and that's what we're are telling him..
The problem wasn't the glass floor it's whats under it, so why would someone think that putting new glass down on the floor is going to fix or extend the life. All he's going to do is destroy the boat he wants to keep.
It would be like putting new plywood on a floor that has broken/rotted joists, there's no support it won't help!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2010 at 5:59am
I understand where you are coming from, but you really think it wont "help" at all? If that were the case why do we have needles and thread? Welders? All things that can be used to patch or repair something to buy some time. I'm not looking at this is a permanent repair by any means. I've already stated I plan on doing the stringers and floor, but I'd like to get another season or so out of her before doing it. The bottom line is the damage is done and is there and isn't going anywhere, but I can stop the floor from separating more and getting worse in the meantime.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2010 at 8:32am
Originally posted by 98motorsport3 98motorsport3 wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, but you really think it wont "help" at all? If that were the case why do we have needles and thread? Welders? All things that can be used to patch or repair something to buy some time. I'm not looking at this is a permanent repair by any means. I've already stated I plan on doing the stringers and floor, but I'd like to get another season or so out of her before doing it. The bottom line is the damage is done and is there and isn't going anywhere, but I can stop the floor from separating more and getting worse in the meantime.

Yes the damage is done but it looks like you missed this post - stop the floor from getting worse but possibly do more damage to the hull? I don't get your logic. Plus, you never answered whether you have gel cracking now!
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Nelson,
I'm torn on doing a temporary fix with reglassing the floor to the hull sides. I'm wondering if it will do more harm than good. We've seen hulls that have stringer rot where the floor has produced gel cracking on the hull side roughly parallel with the floor. Do you have any gel cracking now?

Welders and thread? Evidently you've never repair welded. Metal or a welded joint breaks due to stress. If it's welded again it breaks again unless that stress is relieved or redirected. If enough weld (your patch) is put on the crack, and the stress is still there, you get a new crack next to the weld repair (your hull side gel or the floor again). The same is true with stitched fabric. The stress causing your floor to come apart, is from rot. I'm 99% sure.

Repair the stress! Doing a stringer job on the boat is the best solution.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2010 at 10:50am
If nothing else, you can sister in a temp stringer section for the time being, although this takes time & money too, which is wasted in the long run.

Stringer section repair
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2010 at 12:05pm
Thats a lot of work but if done right that get you another couple years like you want.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 8:20pm

Yes the damage is done but it looks like you missed this post - stop the floor from getting worse but possibly do more damage to the hull? I don't get your logic. Plus, you never answered whether you have gel cracking now!

Yes I have cracking, as stated in my previous post.

Nelson,

Welders and thread? Evidently you've never repair welded. Metal or a welded joint breaks due to stress. If it's welded again it breaks again unless that stress is relieved or redirected. If enough weld (your patch) is put on the crack, and the stress is still there, you get a new crack next to the weld repair (your hull side gel or the floor again). The same is true with stitched fabric. The stress causing your floor to come apart, is from rot. I'm 99% sure.

Repair the stress! Doing a stringer job on the boat is the best solution.

If its due to stress yes. If you relieve some of the stress then no I don't think it will happen again. I've fixed several peoples exhausts, and turbo setups simply by rewelding, maybe the last weld was someone elses garbage. A rip in a shirt can be fixed with a needle and thread, does that mean its gonna rip again? NO... I get what you are saying but I know there is a way to fix it for now w/out doing the entire stringers and damaging the hull.

Thanks to the other poster that linked me to the patch up job on the stringer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2010 at 9:00pm
Nelson,
Patch the floor and report back after the end of next season.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 1:45am

Nelson,
Patch the floor and report back after the end of next season.

That would satisfy you too much. I'm just going to do the same repair job I was linked to thanks.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 3:48am
nelson, I followed tim's repair job (the one Chris linked you too) and I wouldn't do it ever again!

We spent just about the same $ and time as if we would have just committed and done the whole thing like most people do on this site. I didn't have a say in the matter as it was my father's boat and he had the last word. It honestly isn't worth the time and money spent to do it half way.

Pete is right, the cracks are probably from the secondaries being rotten and the primaries getting there too. After tearing into one of these, it's clear why they get that way. Mine had sections of exposed wood directly touching wet foam. Lets just say the rebuilds here are much more extensive than what came off the factory floor.

If I were you, I would patch the floor by grinding away the old, broken piece and then lay new glass/mat over it. Use it for a few summers and keep a close eye on your motor mounts and alignment

This will give you time to plan and acquire the correct materials before you start a rebuild.

Don't get too frustrated with people here on the site, there is a lot of knowledge and people ultimately want to help you out and keep your CC running safely.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 1:03pm

nelson, I followed tim's repair job (the one Chris linked you too) and I wouldn't do it ever again!

Like I told Chris before starting his patch job, I wouldnt do mine the same way again either! It sure bought me some time, but I'll still have to do a full stringer job eventually. No more patch jobs for me.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 8:09am

We spent just about the same $ and time as if we would have just committed and done the whole thing like most people do on this site. I didn't have a say in the matter as it was my father's boat and he had the last word. It honestly isn't worth the time and money spent to do it half way.

Pete is right, the cracks are probably from the secondaries being rotten and the primaries getting there too. After tearing into one of these, it's clear why they get that way. Mine had sections of exposed wood directly touching wet foam. Lets just say the rebuilds here are much more extensive than what came off the factory floor.

If I were you, I would patch the floor by grinding away the old, broken piece and then lay new glass/mat over it. Use it for a few summers and keep a close eye on your motor mounts and alignment

This will give you time to plan and acquire the correct materials before you start a rebuild.

Don't get too frustrated with people here on the site, there is a lot of knowledge and people ultimately want to help you out and keep your CC running safely.

I know everybody is on here to help. I'm sorry for the frustration but I just want people to understand that my current situation does not allow me to do a whole stringer floor repair this winter. I just figured if I'm gonna have to do the whole thing anyways I could at least get by with fixing those spots and in another season or two do the whole shabang, so I don't have to do it twice. My motor mounts are good for sure. This is a very novice question but how would I go about checking the alignment? It would be good to know so I could check it every few times out to make sure things are good. Thanks for those trying to help even if I do seem irritated.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 9:46am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2010 at 3:22pm
Thanks for the link. Should I check it just to check it, as of now I feel no weird vibrations or anything? I think I'll check just to be safe.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic