NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Towable Board

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Metallman56 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towable Board
    Posted: August-07-2011 at 11:55pm
Some of you might have seen the title and thought, wake boards, or knee boards, but you'd be wrong. i actually need some help finding a unique board.

when i was growing up i had a blue board (atleast thats the name we used for it) that was made of 1 piece of hollowed out plastic. on the front of the board, it had its own rope that you tied to the boat. a seperate rope had a wooden handle on it and thats what the rider would hold on to.

it was like a starter board for kids, or old people. the borad was really forgiving, you could lay, kneel or even stand on it without much trouble. it was actually the board i started with before i could kneeboard.

if anyone knows what i'm talking about please post about it. what i'm looking for is a name, and where i might be able to find one. i dont know if i have to buy one used, or if they even make them. the fact that it was a wooden handle makes me think that it was kind of old.

with kids coming up in my family i realize that a "blue board" was a great starter to get kids comfertable behind the boat. plus, well its better then tubing

thanks for the help guys, and as always sorry about the spelling
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 12:26am
I also used one of those when I was younger. I am thinking it was called a Zip Sled but I am not sure. Ski Bob also comes to mind. Maybe a google search of those names will help you find what you are looking for.
I have a young son and will be purchasing an EZ Ski. They can be found at Barts or Overtons. They are basically like the old blue thing we rode but are inflatable with a hard bottom. I have talked to a couple people who have experience with these and they claim they are excellent. Bryan
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 12:31am
I'll leave it to others to find one but I know what your talking about.We used to make them from wood and finally gave up when we finally couldn't get it back.You'd fall off, it would turn over and get stuck in the river bottom. Usually we could pull it out backward but the last one we had to cut the rope. There was a post a long time ago about them.

Is this what your looking for?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 1:03pm
i just google searched "zip sled" and this is exactly the board i am looking for.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/zip%20sled/RainDog911/CCF%2520Green%2520Lake%252007/CCF_GL07_15.jpg

now the only question is. . . . . where the hell do i find one
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 1:28pm
I saw an original Zip Sled two weeks ago on our lake. I hadn't seen one of those in 20+ years.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 2:02pm
Yard sale and be thankful if it still floats!!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 1:34am
lol i'd be thankful to find one period.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 2:14am
I had one made from 3/4 plywood with two little plywood fins screwed to the bottom. Painted with marine paint with soem sand sprinkeled on for traction. Drill holes in the ends of a cut off broom handle and addnylon rope and its good to go. Never imbeeded it in the lake bottom. I could start from shore and get it out of the wake.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 10:31am
We also made a plywood one, circa 1970 or so, at that time I believe they were called aquaplanes. Very easy to ride on, could cross the wakes but not much more, and yes it dove for the bottom so when the person fell off we'd chop the throttle quick. It could be pulled by a 10 hp and plane off ok, much better pulled with a 40. We still have it, probably last used 30 years ago!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic