Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor 1983 Ski Natique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carburetor 1983 Ski Natique
    Posted: March-27-2012 at 4:39pm
Can anyone tell me what carburetor was the original on a 1983 2001 Ski Nautique with a Commander Ford 351 engine?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 5:10pm
Holley 600cfm marine 4160.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 5:23pm
Davis,
Are you missing the carb or is the existing giving you problems? If the later, you could do a rebuild on it.

Welcome to CCfan. Tell us more and we love pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:20am
Thanks! Somehow I thought it originally came with a 2 barrel. I do have a 4160. My carburetor has been loading up during idle making it misfire coming out of the hole with a skier. I had the carburetor rebuilt and had a 12 degree Holley Wedge installed thinking that would keep it from loading up during idle by leveling the carburetor. I am having problems with it backfiring through the carburetor now. I called Holley and they suggested I remove the Wedge and set the floats while it is in the water not on the bench. To my knowledge there is no inspection port. How do I set the floats on a 4160?
Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:23am
Thanks! I did have carburetor rebuilt. Please see my reply to TRBenj
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:02am

That carb is not going to have a sight window. You're going have to remove the sight plug (screw) to adjust. This video explains it pretty well.
-Adam

1973 Skier
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 10:46am
You could have a bad power valve. They can get ruptured with backfire.

Great video, but I don't think marine carbs have the external float adjustment. You have to pull the bowl to do that. Some one else just went through this last week.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 11:42am
Yup, no external float adjustment on a marine 4160. You need to pull the bowl and bend the arm manually. I wouldnt guess that the float level is the issue though, unless you know for sure that youre dumping gas at low speed. Have you actually seen it drip out of the mains at idle? Or are you guessing?

In my experience, a hesitation or backfire coming out of the hole has been a timing issue more often than not, so I would put a timing light on it before proceeding very far. Also make sure that the accelerator pump is adjusted properly.
Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:35am
Thanks. Do you have an idea of where it should be timed? I believe that I timed it before to 6 degrees BTDC. How do you adjust the accelerator pump? I have not watched the mains at idle. I will try to do that this weekend. I really appreciate all the help from everyone!!
Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:38am
Thanks! I will check to make sure that I have a sight plug. It seems to me that I do not but I will try to find time tomorrow to take a look at it. I will watch the video one way or the other as it cannot hurt.
Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:38am
Thanks Dan! I believe that you are right.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 11:17am
I have found that setting the initial timing too retarded (like at 6 degrees) is one of the causes of the stumble/backfire out of the hole. Try it at 10deg instead.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Davis Davis wrote:

...How do you adjust the accelerator pump?

Watch this video. Don't pay too much attention to the part about swapping out the cams, unless your accelerator pump cam was changed at one time with the wrong one. I think I have the orange one... I forget which of the two positions it's in though.

The little nut/bolt/spring combo that rides on the accelerator pump cam is adjustable. You take up any slack by opening up the nut, which will lengthen the little nut/bolt/spring combo.

Pretty straightforward, the only gotcha I ran into is I needed tow of the same size combo wrench. I want to say 3/8th. Luckily I was able to borrow the second one from my father's set.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic