Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

318 timing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Homey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 318 timing
    Posted: April-21-2012 at 8:59pm
I got my 318 reverse rotation running and wanted to set the timing. I saw the specs in the manual but I cannot make heads or tails out of the marks on the flywheel. I have a 0, and 2 lines no numbers. Am I looking at the right place?

The carb has a big air leak or shaft leak so it will have to be replaced before it goes into the water but getting closer every day.

Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 9:07pm
Isn't there a section in the manual that shows which mark to set it at? Go beyond the spec page. I'd say the first mark is for low octane fuel and then the second for high octane but don't hold me to this!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Homey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 9:51pm
I didnt see anything, in the 225 book, searched the site, no talk about it. That makes it so simple everyone can do it and all I have is a 0 and a line in front and in back more than an inch from the zero so I dont think that can be 2 degrees.

quote:Loosen the distributor clamp screw and rotate the housing that the specified timing park and pointer are in alignment s per specifications.

It is a pretty cool reference manual but no picture of timing. Talking the chrysler 225 manual. The 440 is also a great read but doesnt have the picture either. May be blind, but I sure dont see it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 10:13pm
Paul set it the first mark and see how it runs. Then set it to the second mark and see. You can also get degree tape that you can stick on if you want to get real detailed.

You know in the older days of the marine engine (your's is right there at the tail end) it took two people to time and engine. One would drive at WOT and the other would twist the distributor for the max RPM, back it off slightly and lock it down - done!!! You could try it as well!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Homey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 11:15pm
   Here is what it looks like

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 3:38am
Maybe I am missing something here, but every engine I have timed has the timing marks on the front pulley, not the flywheel... Is the 318 different in that you can see the flyweel while the engine is running?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 9:07am
Kris,
My 312 has the marks on the flywheel. There's actually a cover that you remove on the bell housing to see them. Some of the Gray marines were that way and obviously the Chrysler's. What engines have you timed.

Paul,
That's for posting the picture. It explains all. The same flywheel is used for ether rotation. The center mark is the TDC and then you use the appropriate mark on ether side for the before TDC depending on the rotation.

That ring gear doesn't look in the greatest shape.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 10:20am

Quote You know in the older days of the marine engine (your's is right there at the tail end) it took two people to time and engine. One would drive at WOT and the other would twist the distributor for the max RPM, back it off slightly and lock it down - done!!! You could try it as well!

This is similar to how we did mine. Found tdc on number one, turned dist to what we thought was close....motor fired right up and then finished setting it by the mechanics ear. I was impressed!
Homey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kris,
My 312 has the marks on the flywheel. There's actually a cover that you remove on the bell housing to see them. Some of the Gray marines were that way and obviously the Chrysler's. What engines have you timed.

Paul,
That's for posting the picture. It explains all. The same flywheel is used for ether rotation. The center mark is the TDC and then you use the appropriate mark on ether side for the before TDC depending on the rotation.

That makes sense, it just looked like the distance from zero was much more than 2 degrees. I will paint the lines and shoot it and move on to the next challenge. Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Homey Homey wrote:

it just looked like the distance from zero was much more than 2 degrees. I will paint the lines and shoot it and move on to the next challenge. Thanks!

Check the specs again. I thought it was more like 12.5 degrees BTC?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Homey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 12:22pm
This is what the 225 book, which is a 318 says. If you have another point it out. Like I said this distance does look like 12.5 but not like 2, but the logic of a single bar for both directions does make some sense.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 12:36pm
Paul,
I went to the manual in the reference section. Is says 12.5 but, I don't know if the year matches yours. However, the basic 318 wasn't really changed through the years. 12.5 VS: 2.5 sure looks like a typo error to me?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Homey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 12:47pm
Thanks for checking! I have never seen any engine spec'd for 2.5 degrees that sure isnt much. That would be hard to hit without some good marks. I prefer to use a timing light, winging it has never worked out for me.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 4:16pm
The flywheel has two marks before and after top dead center, so the same flywheel may be used for standard and counter rotating engines. There is an inspection port in the bell housing to set timing! Time it to the mark and run it!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

The flywheel has two marks before and after top dead center, so the same flywheel may be used for standard and counter rotating engines. There is an inspection port in the bell housing to set timing! Time it to the mark and run it!

Gary,
I think we have an echo on the site!!   

Paul,
The same flywheel is used for ether rotation. The center mark is the TDC and then you use the appropriate mark on ether side for the before TDC depending on the rotation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 7:41pm

Kris,

Paul,

not wanting to thread jack... but wanted to reply since you asked the question.   I have always had Hondas, VW's, and my Datsun roadster.   All of them have the marks on the front pulley... I haven't done a boat yet, but it's going to be on the list for mine after the stringers.   I'm guessing that my 351 is going to have marks on the FW?

65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2012 at 1:26am
351 timing marks are on the crank pulley.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2012 at 3:22am
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

351 timing marks are on the crank pulley.
   thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic