NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Edelbrock 1409 Carb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock 1409 Carb
    Posted: February-19-2013 at 2:43pm
Iam going to put a new carb on my boat this year and wanted to know if anyone has or is using a Edelbrock 1409 marine carb? I thought about trying one out this year. I have had awsome luck with these on our classic cars.

Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 3:20pm
i have one on mine never an issue , I use them on half my cars and trucks and the only issue is sometimes on the plow trucks they get to coughing after hitting a banking too hard
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 3:36pm
Peter, the one on my car always died or coughed during a fast stop. It vapor locker very badly but with the lack of headers and the lower running temperature of a marine application it will be more well behaved.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 4:17pm
Some success, some failure with the edelbrocks in my correct craft usage. They are certainly not an upgrade but can be made to work well with a little adjustment. I have found them to be much more effected by front to back level than the holleys though, so if you go that way I would recommend a wedge.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 5:40pm
Iam also going to change over to a Edelbrock intake too. Just cant decide, everything I have is set for the Holley.....
1983 Ski Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 5:43pm
plus 1 on the wedge ,
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 5:49pm
I put one on my 83 a couple of seasons ago. I've had a heck of a time dialing it in. I was told by edelbrock I didn't need a wedge but with the comments above I'll definitely try that. I do believe it is a good carb - easy to work on and endless set up options - maybe to many. My problems could be related to my inexperience also.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 6:01pm
I like every other product Edelbrock makes besides carbs. On stock setups they are OK in my opinion.

Your promblems are probably related to Edelbrock trying to use a carburetor design that is approaching 50 years old in performance applications that was used on stock style engines. The only time my car ever ran well was at WOT when it was already moving. I switched to a Demon mechanical secondary with no choke and set the idle circuits. Thats it. 15k miles and almost 10 years later with untold 1/4 mile passes and it operates like the day it was new. Starts better cold too even with the lack of a choke.

Holley boats set up properly run like fuel injected boats. There are plenty on this site that start turn key with out even needing to pump the throttle cold. A new Holley set up properly will make the boat run like new.

Keep in mind, The Eddy was a new out of the box unit. I had it on a bone stock 318 and a hot 360. It behaved poorly on the 318 and even worse on the 360.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 6:07pm
Oh wait. It was on a stock 440 and a stock 383 too. It did the same things on every engine it was installed on. Even dropped on a Carter AFB (the carb edelbrock bought after Carter stopped production). Carter behaved the same as the Eddy. In short, not a big fan.

There is a reason PCM engineers ran Holley rather than Eddie.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 6:10pm
Weve installed a few edelbrock carbs at the marina, most needed quite a bit of screwing around. One we could never figure out after installing it so we had to eat the difference and get them a holley. Holley always seems the easiest to deal with. I like the rochesters out there, goofy to take apart but reliable, not sure if people still buy those aftermarket or at all, but they were always easy going imho.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:11pm
Still thinking on it, the good thing is all of my fuel lines and throttle will go right to a Holley.
1983 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:18pm
Yes your lines and linkage will hook right up, you wont need a wedge, and your boat will run at least as good, if not better with the holley than with the edelbrock. So why is it your are still thinking on it? The edelbrock is cheaper true, but its got to be getting pretty close if you add in a new fuel line and a wedge? I would also say in general if you went to sell the boat a new holley is a selling point the edelbrock not so much.

So whats your goal here?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:53pm
What'd I tell ya on the phone Ryan haha . Call up Summit and order a Holley.

We had an 86 come in that ran like crap(fuel leaking from boosters). New Holley bolted on. I was out on the river for 10 minutes or less tuning it. Bunked in the trailer 400 rpm idle. 600 rpm in gear under way. Set timing and idle circuits. Starts turn key. Starts cold with no pumping. Did plugs, wires, cap, and rotor while we were in it. Has 1100 hours on it. Happy customer. Will be taking my boat for a spin with the 540 in the spring. I'm sure he will want one after that.

Parts of a Holley will actually wear out even after a rebuild. Sometimes it's better just to buck up and go new. Plus you will get the tweaks they have put into the new carburetor over the 25 years they have been producing it after it was originally issued on our boats.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 1:34pm
Yea.....I know so looks like a new Holley is going to be on order!
1983 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 1:58pm
We'got gt an Edelbrock on our Classic and it ran great right out of the box, but if you already have a Holley, it's just too easy to replace it with what's already there. The extra money you have to spend for the Holley is well worth not having to adapt your engine to fit the Edelbrock. DIM with the 10% discount maybe a better price than Summit.
KFD14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KFD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 4:35pm
Want to buy a slightly used edelbrock. Ha ha. If I had it to do over I'm pretty sure I'd go holly.

My only real problem is a bog on the hole shot. I'm still playing around with jets and rods but it's hard when you can't get a f/a reading off of it.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 8:08pm
Thanks.....
1983 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 12:14am
That bog on the Eddy is best adjusted with metering rods and grinding off weight or adding weight to the secondary air doors.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 12:27am
I have a wedgy on my Chevy and I love it.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic