NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transom issue wood rot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kiteboarder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transom issue wood rot
    Posted: June-05-2013 at 5:11pm

I tried to tighten the bottom screw on my swim platform bracket and it just spun. I then stuck a screw much longer in the and it felt like mush. I'm guessing I have some rot under the floor where this screws in. What is the right way to inspect and repair this? I'm assuming I'll have to remove the gas tank again and cut the floor?? If there is already a post on this please send me the link. Thanks
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 5:47pm
Yes and yes. The process is to remove the plywood sections that they screw into (grind out the glass and remove the plywood) and then replace. It is a pretty easy job but it certainly could mean you have other rot issues (stringers).
Have you inspected or replaced the stringers yet?

Once you replace the plywood blocks and glass them back in, you can ditch the SS screws and use lags to bolt all the way through.

Check your stringers and make sure everything is safe. Enjoy the summer and then plan on tearing it up in the fall.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 6:02pm
I'm guessing by your answer its just a vertical piece of plywood that i'm screwing into? I guess the reason the longer screw had little resistance is because it's a hollow space behind the plywood?? I did through bolt everything except for these two screws that are hidden by the floor a few months ago.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 6:16pm
Theres ply on the transom, if it is sealed up and you didn't punch a hole through it the foam under the floor might still be dry. My out board supports bolt through the wood and the center is lagged into it. Go ahead and suck the water out of any wet foam you find with a shop vac, it may take a few days. If the stringers are good leaving an inspection hole when your done will allow you to suck the water out of the foam from time to time which should help the wood last longer.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 7:34pm
At this point in the season, I would just pack the hole with fiberglass 'mash' (finely cut up cloth mixed with epoxy resin). Use a nail or screw, that fits the hole closely, to push the mash in. After it cures, drill out to correct size.   Then use 3M4200 on the lag screw when you reassemble.

It will be a month long project to cut the floor apart - will be a can of worms! Do that next winter.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 8:00pm
Where is your inspection hole located? The screw definitely went all the way through the plywood. I will probably just do a quick fix (plug it with some 4200) until it gets cold again, in the fall. The inboard brackets are through bolted top and bottom with aluminum backing plates and sealed with 3m4200.

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2013 at 8:16pm
you have to make the inspection hole. If you know you poked a hole all the way through you really need to make a hole and get the water out. Cheap easy way is just drill one the shop vac nozzle fits in and duct tape it over when your done. Nice way would be one that has a lid, but if your going to have to take it out and fix the transom later, I would wait and do the lid then.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic