Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

popping from carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mcfunnymoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: popping from carb
    Posted: August-31-2013 at 11:47pm
I'm a new member and a new owner. I just rescued a 1980 Ski Nautique that had not been off the trailer in 10 years. After washing the green off the entire boat I rebuilt the carb and cleaned the points. The boat runs but not well. I cant get it to idle under 2k and when it is loaded (in the water vs running on the trlr) it pops through the carb. I'm suspecting timing but I am at a loss. Ant ideas? I have cleaned and lubed the weights in the distributor and they don't seem to be stretched. I also posted this in the general section accidentally. Woops. Rookie mistake
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 1:36am
First off, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your purchase!

two things generally cause a backfire: timing & plug wire placement.
there are other things that can cause a backfire, but they don't sound like the issue you have.

what I suspect is that you have your plug wires in the wrong firing order. Since the boat is new to you, check to see that you haven't got the wires reversed from the distributor rotation, and that the sequence that you have the plug wires in is the actual firing order for the engine.   there are a couple of different ford firing orders, you may have the wrong one.   If the order is not on the engine's data tag, you can figure it out the old fashioned way by checking the order that the cylinders come up on their compression stroke.

timing could be your problem, when the spark plug fires too early in the stroke, and the intake valve is open, it will cause a backfire. try advancing the timing a bit if this is the case

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 1:48am
I'll check the timing tomorrow. I found tdc #1 and followed the firing order listed on the tag on the intake and the cylinder numbers stamped on each runner. Where should the timing be? I will hit it with a light tomorrow.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 1:52am
I don't know the timing numbers, but you could probably find them in the reference section of this site.    It would help anyone who is familiar with your boat if you listed which engine you have.   Pics are always good too
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 2:50am
Also could be vacuum leak. Spray carb cleaner around base of carb. If that changes RPM, you are onto something.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 8:51am
Cracked dist cap would be my first guess check for carbon trail and make sure all is dry
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2013 at 12:30pm
The above suggestions are all good. I will add the following:

Leaking exhaust manifold or riser gasket.
Sticking intake valve or a burned valve.
Broken timing advance spring in the distributor.

Art
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 8:39pm
ok, I finally had a minute to mess with the boat. I tested the plug wires when I checked the timing and found two ad ones. Today I installed new ones. The popping and backfiring is gone but I still cant get it to idle below 2k. It seems to run out of fuel when I idle it down. Looking down the carb the fuel stops spraying and sprays off and on. Fuel pump? When I give it gas it stutters (not like it was before with the popping) its a fuel stutter. The boat did sit for 5+ years. The fuel lines are new and there is a full tank of two week old gas and there is a see through filter in line and it is clean. I bypassed the separator and it made no difference. By the way art, I had the springs looked at by the dealer and he said they are ok. I wondered that too.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 10:36pm
The high idle and backfire are symptomatic of an intake system vacuum leak. One thing to check is the PCV valve to make sure it has the proper amount of restriction in it. You can simulate the high idle situation by removing the PCV hose at the base of the carburetor. Typically with that fitting open, it won't idle below 2000.
Art
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 11:11pm
The high idle is due to me raising the idle screw on the carb. if i drop it lower than 2k it dies. I should have specified that. I suspected the pcv hose and put a hoseclamp on the end where it meets the carb and no change. This is frustrating. It does seem to starve for fuel lower than the 2k idle setting. Im going to test the pump by taking the line off at the carb and seeing how much fuel it produces when I turn it over. Ill update after I test it.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 11:31pm
Were you able to idle it down enough to properly set the base timing? If you set the timing with the engine running at 2000, no wonder it does't run right! I believe, from memory, that a 1980 with Ford (PCM or Commander) should be set at 10 degrees. There will be a highlighted mark on the vibration damper indicating the proper base timing.

Art
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 11:55pm
i couldnt get it that low. it died. i advanced it a bit. The pcm sticker on the valve cover said 6 degrees so I went with 10 at 2000 rpms. That was the best I could do. It sounds healthy at that high idle though and starts without drama if i give it a quick shot of gas.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 1:28am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

The high idle and backfire are symptomatic of an intake system vacuum leak. One thing to check is the PCV valve to make sure it has the proper amount of restriction in it. You can simulate the high idle situation by removing the PCV hose at the base of the carburetor. Typically with that fitting open, it won't idle below 2000.
Art

+1, Art.

My other boat has an old Mercruiser 140. I suffered through a few years of high idling and lousy starts. I eventually found a vacuum leak due to an aged carb gasket. A new gasket helped a lot. Then I had the carb rebuilt (I'm not good with small parts), and for a decade now that 40 year old four-popper has been idling smoothly at spec.

Steve
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 10:17am
OK, now I think we're making progress. Please help me think about this, because I'm in a hurry and wondering if I have this in my mind correctly.

I think the timing is set too far retarded, because if you set it at 10 degrees at about 2000, you set it too far retarded. I don't have a distributor curve handy, but I think that at 2000 you are probably already advanced by about 15 to 20. Advance the timing and see what happens. Try setting it at about 20 at 2000 and then back off the throttle and see what happens.

If you have to, put down the timing light and try playing with it by "timing by ear." Work the distributor with one hand and the throttle lever at the carburetor with the other. (disconnect the throttle cable) Move the timing, (distributor clockwise) and back down on the throttle as it will tolerate. If and when you get it down to a reasonable idle, put the light on it.

I hope that a third party will read this and tell me whether I'm thinking straight.

Art

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 12:32pm
You're absolutely right Art.
At 2K RPM I'm guessing the timing should be at least 20 degrees, maybe even a bit more.

Do just as Art recommends to set the timing with two hands as you get the idle lower and the timing decreases.

Also, what did you set your point gap at? That will change your timing and therefore your idle too. Should be .019".

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 12:56pm
Ill give that a shot. I replaced the points and the dealer said to set them at .018". I hope that is within tolerance. Ill get out there tomorrow and see if i can drop the timing and idle at the same time.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 2:47pm
Eddie Backfoot is spot-on about the points. I'll try to look in an old owner's manual and check the point gap recommdation. Actually, you should be able to find one on "Reference" on this site!
Art

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 4:15pm
I looked at the manual and it says .018" so that makes me feel ok about them. Thanks for the reference to the reference. Thats a great resource! Im reading all of the manuals for this boat
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 6:27pm
.018 or .019. That's splitting hairs.
Either one will get you running so that you can time it properly.

I was worried you had them set to .025 or .015 or something crazy like that.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Busted Knuckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busted Knuckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 8:19pm
I'll add my 2cents since I'm lurking around right now -
popping - sounds like you found it
high idle = not enough fuel, which means either an air leak @ the carb base gasket(s) or blocked / restricted idle circuit, not the fuel lines or fuel pump they'll be suspect if you low power under load

good luck

Dan T @ the BKG
Volante Barefoot Skier built by American Skier Boats -
www.footngear.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2013 at 6:20pm
i finally had a chance to mess with the boat... I removed the choke to look inside it for gunk. For fun I covered the hole where it gets vacuum and the engine idled like a champ. Huh? Where is the common area for a vacuum leak inside the choke housing? The gasket appeared good.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 3:46pm
That strikes me as being a bit weird. Does your carb have the electric choke? There will be two wires connected to the connectors on the black bakelite cover. I will have a look at one when I'm in the shop today.
Art
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 4:46pm
Sorry. I should have said that. Yes it is electric. The wires get a key on voltage. I haven't seen it work properly (move the butterfly) to date but it was lower on the nitpick list than the boat running so I had overlooked that. I took the cap off of the choke housing and it looked pretty clean inside there and the piston moves easily. I haven't messed with an electric choke before so any help would be great. I found a replacement cap at the parts store but they aren't as cheap as I was expecting so I hate to buy one if I possibly don't need to.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2013 at 8:35pm
OK, first let's make sure it is assembled correctly. The tang that operates the choke butterfly should go through the eye in the outer end of the thermostatic coil so that when the eye moves in either direction it takes the tang with it.

Once it is assembled, set it so that the butterfly is just barely closed all the way when the cover is turned in that direction.

Turn on the ignition switch, don't start the engine. In about 3 minutes you should see the butterfly start to open. While you are waiting, check for 12 volts at the connectors on the cover. If you have it and don't get any action on the butterfly after 5 minutes, the heater coil could be failed. It's rare, though.

If you don't have the 12v, check the wire at the resistor at the rear of the engine. The wire that goes to the choke should be connected to the side of the distributor where the 12v comes from the ignition switch.

If any questions, or if this is not clear to you, please get in touch with me again. Don't go buy a choke cover until we are sure you need one.
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 11:54am
I did note that the tang was around the coil so thats step one... I will try the operation of it this afternoon. I checked the voltage the other day and it was only 9v. The battery might be low though due to cranking. (although it did turn the engine at a normal speed) I will charge it tonight and check again tomorrow.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 2:30pm
If you are only getting 9v there, the wire going from the resistor to the choke is likely on the wrong side of the resistor. Having the choke connected there will also reduce the voltage to the ignition coil. Does your distributor have a points-and-condenser system, or has it been retrofitted to an electronic module? If it's points, you might try putting the voltmeter on the choke wires and "bump" the engine over with the starter until the points open. You might see an increase in the voltage. Let me know. We might need to talk on the phone while you are in the boat.

Art
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 7:57pm
the choke is getting 9v with the points closed and 10 volts with them open. the coil is getting the same voltage. annoyingly the other side of the resister is only getting 4v. So it appears that the choke is hooked to the correct side of the resister. The batt has 12+ volts. Im wondering of the choke has not worked in awhile. The main issue I have is the vacuum loss mystery. Could a malfunctioning or low voltage choke cause a vacuum leak? Also unfortunately I messed up the gasket on the choke so I at least have to buy a cap. Where does the red wire originate that goes into the harness loom on the top of the engine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 8:26pm
I looked again and I meant to ask where the purple wire originated. Sorry. It appears to be on the ignition switch.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 9:40pm
Is the 4v on the "other side" of the resistor with the points open, or closed? If it's points closed, it's probably OK. It should go to a bit under battery voltage when the points are open.

A malfunctioning choke will have no effect whatsoever on engine vacuum. Once the engine warms up, the choke is out of the picture anyway. Of course the vacuum will still be applied to the housing. I guess they do that to keep the choke from overheating.   

I don't think there is any opening into the choke housing other than the vacuum port. If the gasket is good, there should be no airflow into the choke housing, and therefore the engine won't get extra air via the choke. Could it be that the housing gasket was failed to begin with? If there is a speed shop (hot-rod shop) in your town, you might be able to buy that gasket as a separate item there.

Let's test the choke heating coil off the engine. Just run 12v and ground with small jumper wires to the terminals on the cover. Watch the "coil" in there for at least two minutes and see whether it starts to move. You might have to put a clear glass dish or something similar over the open side of the choke housing to retain the heat. If you leave it completely open it might lose enough heat to keep it from operating properly.

The purple wire on the choke housing comes from the ignition switch, via the "high" side of the resistor. Here is what the circuit looks like: Starting from the terminal on the starter relay where the red battery cable connects, battery current flows from there to the ammeter, then through the ammeter. (<Your boat does have an ammeter in it as opposed to a voltmeter, right?>) From there, a red wire goes from the ammeter to the "hot" side of the ignition switch. When you turn the switch to "on," the red wire is connected to the purple wire coming out of the ignition switch. From there, it lands on the "high" side of the resistor, where the wire to the choke stove also is connnected.

Now, all of the wire mentioned above will cause a certain amount of voltage loss. There are two occasions when ignition current has to pass through the 8-prong plug at the right rear corner of the engine where the engine harness plugs into the boat harness. Unplug that plug (it might be taped up. Take off the tape.) Get some fine sandpaper and clean up the prongs on the male side of the plug. Then roll up a little piece of sandpaper and clean the holes on the other side. Use an in-and-out motion to sand the inside of them. It is very common for those prongs and receptacles to have corrosion on them, resulting in a voltage loss.

If voltage loss is causing your ignition system to have weak spark, you can try this: Run a small jumper wire from the "high" side of the resistor to a source of 12v. (the engine end of the + battery cable is good. It's on the starter relay, remember?) BE CAREFUL that you don't hit anything grounded with the jumper while is't connected! You don't want to be welding! Start the engine with that jumper in place. REMEMBER that with the jumper in place you won't be able to turn the engine off with the ignition switch. You will have to have the switch off AND the jumper disconnected.

I didn't get a chance to have a look at a carburetor today. Hopefully tomorrow!    
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcfunnymoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 9:51pm
I'll run to the speed shop tomorrow. I see a tiny stress crack in the cap. It could or couldn't go all the way through but I'm one to be proactive so I will get a cap tomorrow. I didn't look at the 4v side of the resister as far as open or closed points. I will check that tomorrow also. I will clean the contacts on that connector and get back with you. Thank you for all of the help! I'm hoping to get a run or two in before it gets chilly here. By the way it does have an ammeter. Also once i get her going I will post some pictures also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic