NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

compression and idle quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compression and idle quality
    Posted: May-05-2014 at 12:44am
Got a situmation. No idle from 1000 RPM or less. Stalls in neutral and will immediately stall when going into gear. Can coax into gear go full throttle and runs like a scalded dog. Back to idle and stalls. Dont matter where the mixture is or idle rpm. And I get a good responce from idle circuits and have no flooding issues. It will idle and start to break up and die in neutral and will stall when going into gear. Got a vacuum gage on it. And at idle will watch vacume fade and engine will stall. Hotter she gets the worce it gets. I can crank it and throttle it and will idle some times but will break up and vacuum will drop and stalls. Im wondering if I got a ring problem affecting vacume at idle. Kinda reminds me of a two stroke with fried rings. Runs good till warm then goes to ***************.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 12:46am
Then goes to sheit.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 12:53am
Ive determined its not in the carb. As I have had three different ones on it. All act the same. Checked the valve at the tank. Its good. Fuel line clear from valve at tank to fuel pump. Fuel pump was suspect but how would it run a motor at wide open throttle and not at idle? Suspected vaporizing fuel in line from pump to carb. Removed t stat and engine temps dropped to 110* from normal of 160* still same issue. Im thinking low compression affecting idle qaulity by way of weak vacuum signal to carb causing stall. But yet question that theory because there is absolutely no exhaust smoke at all.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 1:08am
Sorry for the repeated posting but trying to get as mech info out as possible. I can get it to idle and let it run and watching the vac guage the vacume starts to drop and when it does the engine will stall. It will go from A clean idle to shiet with out touching anything. 18" of vac to 12 then ten then stalls.You can hear it coming. It will start breaking up from Clean idle and then watch the vac gauge drop and then it stalls. Any attempt of going into gear will stall it. Also when it does start to break up and die I can hit the accelerator pump to give it a shot of fuel and it will perk up. Screw in the idle adjustment and wind up with 1000rpm idle will still break up and die. And its immediate if thrown into gear.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 9:15am
Sounds like a vacuum leak develops once the engine warms up. Intake gasket maybe?

Vacuum gauge is hooked to the carb or carb spacer, I presume?
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 10:04am
Yeah. Gauge is hooked up at lowest point on carb. The big port on the rear. Tim I dont know I have sprayed everything with carb cleaner. I thought that too. Im freakin clueless. Its got to be directly engine related. All other possibilities have been exhausted. If not a ring issue could it be valve/valveseat issue?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 10:48am
Could be a valve issue. Just had that problem with my '93 Honda ended up being a bad valve.
Do a compression check then if need be a leak down.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 10:49am
Tim and Paul are on it.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:01am
I will be doing a compression check. That was next on my list. Went t ok the tool box to find it missing. I must have loaned it out and the loanee forgot where the hel it come from. :-/.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:08am
This was an occasional issue the became more and more frequent. In the beginning it would refire immediately and take some time to start acting up again. In the early stages it wouldnt give a problem going into gear after refire. And then it progeressed into stalling going into gear all the time. It was classic carb symptoms I thought but after trying three different carbs with the same result ruled the carb out.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:23am
You might consider doing a leak down test. It is more comprehensive than a compression test; can help you isolate valve vs. ring issues.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:28am
You've confirmed it's not vacuum or carb related. Have you looked at the cap and rotor? I've seen some cracked caps cause some really goofy issues.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:40am
Vic, Pull the PCV and take a piece of paper and hold it over the PCV hole in the valve cover. This is a way to check for a vacuum leak from the bottom of the intake into the engine. If it pulls it it's pulling vacuum.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 12:16pm
My first thought was massive vacuum leak but it would never idle.Unless it is holding vacuum like Zach's test maybe crankcase acting as vacuum canister.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:15am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Vic, Pull the PCV and take a piece of paper and hold it over the PCV hole in the valve cover. This is a way to check for a vacuum leak from the bottom of the intake into the engine. If it pulls it it's pulling vacuum.

Well that was also looked at. Actually accidentally. Pulled the pvc and blocked the line trying to get it to idle. While the pvc was out noticeable blowby was evident. Its not choo choo puffing but a steady flow without any positive pressure behind it. Also once I pull the intake oil in the intake ports of the head would be tell tell sign of vacuum leak under the intake..
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:21am
Im going to purchase a replacement compression tester tomm. ( wont be loaning any more dam tools lol) I will check compression and post results. Also going to borrow a electric fuel pump and regulator from my vette and re verify its not fuel related. Will post results on that also. Thanks guys for the help.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 5:12am
I agree with TR Benj, Compression does not come and go hot and cold like your problem. With no compression they get hard to start in addition to other problems, smoking exhaust etc.
It very much sounds like a heat related vacuum leak, the block and heads expand as the engine warms up and a crack that is sealed cold can open hot causing issues. As a twist, have you overheated this engine and maybe you are running with partially collapsed exhaust tubes that are shutting down your engine at idle but open under full throttle?
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 8:59am
Im not totally convinced on the compression hot/cold senerio MrMcd. As mentioned before and I know were not dealing with a two stroke but I have, you can lean one out and fry the ring pack and it will run til warm. Let it cool and will do it again. But on the other hand i dont know everything I wouldnt be here asking you all what the hel is wrong with my engine.lol

My plan is just for shiets and giggles temporarily through a in line electric fuel pump on it just to reassure me the the fuel system has nothing to do with the problem. Next will be compression test and depending on how that goes, a leakdown most likely will be next. Im going to get this basterd on the lake and run the crap out of it get it good and hot and jerk all 8 plugs out and test compression.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 1:32pm
A compression test will tell you the overall health of the engine, while the plugs are out read them and see what you learn from reading the plugs. Champion, NGK or Autolite all have websites with great pictures on reading plugs.
If you have a fuel supply issue the plugs will be very clean from lots of air and not much fuel. I would read the plugs before working on the fuel system. Let us know what you learn. I hope it is an easy fix.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

You've confirmed it's not vacuum or carb related. Have you looked at the cap and rotor? I've seen some cracked caps cause some really goofy issues.

Dont forget what this gentleman said, I been there
Brian
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:07pm
Ok heres the cold compression numbers
#1/162 #2/166 #3/170 #4/170 #5/163 #6/165 #7/165 #8/168.

Dead headed fuel pump with guage will rolling compression test. Five pounds max with fuel pressure gradually dropping between cylinder tests. Plugs are ghost white with a faint chocolate color covering maybe 5% of the porcelain insulator.

Going to run it and do a hot compression test now and get those results then temp install electric pump and see if it will repeat symptoms. Then I guess ill move over to ignition and electrical. Wonder if a weak battery would cause all of this as I also have noticed that muiltiple starts will weaken it to the point of no roll over pretty fast.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:20pm
Now idling at seven fifty with mixture set at max vacuum and then 1/2 turn out. Vacuum reading at 17.
Timing set to 14* initial 36* total at 3000 RPM. Let see if she hiccups......
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:24pm
What ignition are you running?
Brian
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:32pm
Been idleing for about ten min. Vacuum starting to fluctuate between 15. 5 and 17. At fifteen min it stalled. Refired and still fluctuating vacume, battery charger attached but not on. Waited for break up and stall. Started stalling turned charger on to start setting and boat cleared up and vacuum hit steady 17" guess the dam battery was causing all this.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by hotboat hotboat wrote:

What ignition are you running?

MSD HEI with MSD Module cap rotor wires and delco plugs.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:39pm
How in the hell can a battery start and engine and not supply enough to keep the ignition powered. Think I might check the alt too.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 5:59pm
Definitely could be the alt. Maybe it's charging at first and then stops? Getting a little charge to the battery and when it stops, the battery isn't enough to keep the MSD running. MSD's don't like any kind of power hiccups. They can be finicky that way. You said you have a MSD HEI and ign. module. I assume that means the whole MSD dizzy and ign. box setup?

If so it's possible that the MSD is on it's way out too, although unlikely. It either works or it doesn't. Don't rule out the mag pickup though. I'm guessing if you put the MSD in, you're aware that you can test the ign. box real easy. That is if you didn't hardwire all the connections so that you can disconnect them if need be. If you hardwired them, it'll be much more difficult to test.
First unlpug the coil wire from the dizzy cap and set it up so the contact lead is a half inch from ground. Unplug the dizzy wire going to the ign. box, turn the ign. key ON and then short out the two wires going to the ign. box (the ones you just unplugged from the dizzy). When you remove the short, you should get a bright white spark from the coil wire to ground. You'll hear that sucker too. It really snaps pretty loud. You're basically simulating the short/open from the mag pickup. If that checks out, the ign. box and all your wiring is good. You should get that bright spark every time you short/open that connection. The only thing left is the mag pickup at that point.

I had to replace mine several years ago. Was giving all kinds of fits. Work and not work. Real intermittent. I keep thinking replacement was $20-$25 or something like that.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 6:00pm
I would have thought either a bad ignition coil that starts to misfire as it heats up, or a restricted exhaust. Gradual decrease in vacuum is a sign of a restricted exhaust. Seems just about impossible to have restricted exhaust in one of these boats though. I guess the vacuum would also decrease as the ignition starts to heat up and go south as well.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 6:07pm
Thanks backfoot. I have the dist. Not the muiltispark box. I was thinking of addding one though.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 9:10pm
I also can start this thing and disconnect the battery and all symptoms go away. In doing ths can I safely assume the charging system is ok? Alternator is putting out 13.45 volts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic