Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1958 Correct Craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wneelley0726 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wneelley0726 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1958 Correct Craft
    Posted: May-21-2014 at 5:39pm

I have a 1958 Correct Craft, 18ft. Sportsman. The story behind my boat is that there were 5 boats identical to mine, made for Cypress Gardens, the old ski park. Im wondering if there are any order records to show that or if there is anyone who might know and can verify if this "rumor" is true or not. I know it's a long shot, but I don't know who else to ask.
Any help you guys can give me, would be very helpful.
Thanks

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 6:09pm
There are lots of "stories" about Cypress Gardens boats. If you can provide some pics of yours and hopefully a serial number I'm sure the CC ambassadors here can help some but CC didn't keep a whole lot of records from back then.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 6:11pm
One one hand, it could very well be true. On the other hand, it is a long running joke on here that 80% of the ads out there (craigslist, ebay...) claim that their Correct Craft was built for and used at Cypress Gardens. A few were, but most were not. It is hard to get any kind of documentation. If you can find the hull number, typically on a stringer near the engine, or up near the helm, CC might be able to look in their records for build information on the boat, but that can be difficult to get accomplished. Also, most of the older records were lost in a fire, so they no longer exist. I will say it before anyone else does, we love pictures here, so if you have any, please post. May not help answer your question, but we like to see them anyway.

EDIT: Yeah, what Bret said.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wneelley0726 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 6:42pm
I actually have the boat listed for sale on POPyachts website. I just had the boat surveyed and there are over 100 pictures on there
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 7:29pm
His ad

Ahh, yes, that boat. That has been for sale for a while so has come up here in occassion in discussion. Good luck wiht your sale.

older CCF diaries ad
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 9:01pm
I think it's more rare to have one not used there ------------
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Ahh, yes, that boat. That has been for sale for a while so has come up here in occassion in discussion. Good luck wiht your sale.

Yup,
As Larry has mentioned that boat has been for sale for years!
Weston, you are on your own on this one. Since NO ONE has ever come up with any decent documentation nor has CC (even Mr. Ralph Meloon), the feeling is it's been bastardized beyond belief. Somewhere is the past a woodworker (skilled) wanted to made it something it never was. Sorry but that's my take on the situation.

BTW, per the ACBS it is NOT an antique. That class is reserved for pre WW II boats. You must have some hack trying to sell it who doesn't know anything about wood boats. Also, the boat has NEVER shown up in any ACBS records.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 10:58pm
That may have been a little harsh Pete, as I believe it is Weston who is trying to sell it.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 11:04pm

That may have been a little harsh Pete, as I believe it is Weston who is trying to sell it.

No maybe about it, lighten up will ya Pete.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2014 at 11:44pm
I'm glad you posted on here Weston. I've seen the boat posted on Craigslist over the last few years. I've always wondered why such a cool boat had such poor pictures in the Craigslist ad.

Unfortunately the PopYacht site makes you sign up before you can view the pictures, and once you do the pictures are maddening. They move on the screen as you go through.

I would say your description is missing some key info: does the engine run and is the boat water-ready? The history is nice, but that refurbishment from 20 years ago is showing its age and that missing info is important.

Edit: if you check out the video, you can see that it does in fact run.

For those of you that didn't log into the site, here are a few pictures:

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wneelley0726 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 12:19am
Yes, it is me trying to sell the boat... But I is alright, I take harsh words lightly because it makes room in my mind for improvement. I'm an artist and a perfectionist... My father was trying to sell the boat for me, because I didn't have time, but I didn't like the way he was going about it... This year, after looking at wooden boat websites and finding comps, I decided to lower the price. I am a member of the ACBS Texas, and have been to the last 4 Keels and Wheels concourse events in Houston TX... I have seen plenty of Chris Craft's, as well as Century's, Hackers, Garwood's, and Shepherd's as well as the select (very few) other correct crafts... My boat is every bit of as nice as any other "user" boat, according to what I was told by a broker on the Antiqueboatamerica.com website. I don't mean to "toot my own horn," but I've personally talked to several people who skied at Cypress Gardens in the early 60's, as well as talked to actors from the TV show "Sea Hunt," who remembered the boat a it is, minus the motor (the motor isn't original to the boat)... I was simply asking if anyone knew of any records that I could look up or if there were any records that I couldn't look at, that maybe someone else could look up for me.

P.S. the engine runs very well as I have put almost $3k into the engine in the last year. I have put about 60 hrs on the boat since I've had it, and had the boat on the water the last 4 weekends.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 7:50am
Have a real good look around the inside of the hull frame for numbers carved on it and old Correct Craft tags...all will help with the true history and jog very old memories, as Billy found out in the last year CC did make a few one off specials which his boat is one, he been told that the SF on his hull tag is Special Functions a one off show boat.
Your boat has had some more mods over the years but it’s in great shape and turns heads opening minds to Wooden Correct Crafts and the history of the company.
From what I understand during the midd 50’s Correct Craft had a go at the same market as Chris Craft where in with a few high end boats, as one of the sons had gone off and worked at Chris Craft then came back to Correct Craft.
I would give Billy a call on 318 386 two eight two five... in Louisiana, site name here Boat Dr he has the numbers of real old guys around today that might know your boat.
Thanks for keeping the boat in running order taking it to shows and welcome to the site.

Roger.

Billy’s SF Collegian.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 11:01am
Weston,

Don't mind Pete. He is the crazy old uncle we try to keep locked up in the attic. He is under the misconception that if a boat or its owner is not in the ACBS (Association of Cranky Boat Snobs) tnen it is a hacked piece of crap and the owner is a worthless turd. I could be wrong but I dont believe that either Alan or his Hurricane are in the ACBS, which makes it a piece of crap. I don't know why he wasted his time over five years bothering us with the chronicalling of its restoration.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 11:18am
Actually Larry I think Alan had to join in order to have the Hurricane in the Sunnyland show.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 11:24am

He is under the misconception that if a boat or its owner is not in the ACBS (Association of Cranky Boat Snobs) tnen it is a hacked piece of crap and the owner is a worthless turd.

LOL, Larry

I keep looking for a write up on the 2014 Mt Dora show and the only ones I can find are on CCF.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Actually Larry I think Alan had to join in order to have the Hurricane in the Sunnyland show.

Too late, after the fact, credentials not in place during work, minus 400 points, ergo, piece of crap.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 1:28pm
Lackluster hobbyist HACK
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 1:41pm
Bunch of Clowns , Larry I did have to join for the Sunnyland Show and I'm glad I did because I it allowed several members to officially tell me everything I did wrong rebuilding my boat. I was very thankful to be put on the right path.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 1:54pm
Alan, how was your boat received in general? Last year, NE ACBS followed Sunnyland and featured Lyman at their show. No signs of that happening this year. Was there much interest in Correct Craft beyond CCF?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Alan, how was your boat received in general? Last year, NE ACBS followed Sunnyland and featured Lyman at their show. No signs of that happening this year. Was there much interest in Correct Craft beyond CCF?

Bruce, I think overall the CC display was ok and people certainly commented on the wild colors of some of the fiberglass boats. Between orange, powder blue, the greens, etc the glass boats sure did stand out. There was no recognition of Correctcraftfan per see but there wasn't much of an effort on our part to get noticed either.

One thing I did feel that was short changed was the fact that the Marque boat for the event (the Hurricane)wasn't put front and center. It was way down the trail and I know many people didn't even go down that far. I had people ask me while I was walking around looking at other boats what I brought to the show most people hadn't seen it. You would think if they put it's likeness on the Tee shirt, the event poster and the award plaques they may have thought to centerpiece it better.   I think we caught them by surprise with the quality of boats that we brought and if they had known what was coming they may have relocated us.

Then again vintage Correct Crafts will always be looked down on in certain circles, that's why the Hurricane is painted French's Mustard yellow instead of Grey Poupon. LOL
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Larry I did have to join for the Sunnyland Show and I'm glad I did because I it allowed several members to officially tell me everything I did wrong rebuilding my boat. I was very thankful to be put on the right path.

Oooooooooh....    you'd better be careful with a statement like that Alan or you might end up sounding like Pete...or even worse...looking like him.

OOOPs.....to late!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 2:51pm
Yes, One would think that if CC was the featured maker, Alan should have been front center. I was assuming Alan should have trailered out with a few trophies.

And I gotta say I don't think I'm buying the One-Off story on Billy's when there was another one exactly like it in here with even more of the original hardware.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 4:26pm
Sorry for hijacking Wes's thread but here is my take. I personally think that I had the best spot in the show. It was right at the junction of 2 sidewalks. I believe that Alans boat should have taken both my spot and the Wildcats since walking down the lakesides sidewalk the Wildcat being so big blocked the view. Alan's boat could have sat at an angle so as you walked down either sidewalk,there it would be. I also think that yes we were stuck off in the back,we should have been front and center but then again maybe it was done that way because of the Correct Craft Corral? I have no idea how the boats were placed since you dropped it off in the boat lot then you would have to find a parking spot for your car then wander the show to find your boat. The whole experence was all kind of sureal because information of what was going on was very hard to get.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 4:27pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 4:42pm
Here is a pic of Alan's spot,if you face looking down the walk
my boat was to your back

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 8:56pm
I have to LOL on all the comments especially Larry's!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 11:52pm
The Correct Crafts have never had the value of the Gars, Hackers, Chris Crafts, and others. I grew up with an 18 foot Trojan that also does not get the recognition of these big names. Oh well. I don't know if that boat is worth 30K, or not. I don't know if it passes the Original Pete test, or not. I know that if I were driving it around Lake Tahoe, I'd have lots of fun, and I'd have just as many people asking about my boat as asking about the multi hundred thousand dollar Gars and Rivas.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 11:54pm

I did have to join for the Sunnyland Show and I'm glad I did because I it allowed several members to officially tell me everything I did wrong rebuilding my boat. I was very thankful to be put on the right path.

How can you live with yourself Alan? I assumed the only choice you have now is to back her back into the garage, peel off all the planking and start over again, this time getting it right. I know you are real busy at work right now so I took the liberty of getting it started for you. Hope you don't mind.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2014 at 8:03am

I did have to join for the Sunnyland Show and I'm glad I did because I it allowed several members to officially tell me everything I did wrong rebuilding my boat. I was very thankful to be put on the right path.

What?? Fill me in. I don't think you did anything wrong.
Sunnyland, as Larry mentioned does have plenty of "snobs".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2014 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Sunnyland, as Larry mentioned does have plenty of "snobs".

"Hello, pot? This is kettle, can you hear me?"
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic