NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It will never be a BFN, but...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It will never be a BFN, but...
    Posted: June-12-2014 at 3:41pm
I wonder if I can improve the shape of the wake behind my boat at barefoot speed?

Anyone ever play around with weighing down a Sport or Air for anything other than wakeboarding or surfing? I know its not the same hull, but there are so few Pro Airs out there I feel like I better widen my question.

Before anyone asks, I'm not trying to put 4000# and do 40 (partly because I don't think the boat will do it), but if I throw a couple hundred in the nose will it knock the rooster tail down or flatten out the wash in the middle? Is this just a terrible idea?

Here's a shot of the wake at 39, probably 6-7 people on board.

bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 10:57am
Just go ahead and pick up a second boat - everyone should have at least 2
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 10:58am
Just go ahead and purchase a second boat - everyone should have at least 2. Besides it is much easier to justify when you are single without kids
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 11:14am
think i may be best to have only two in the boat..

but I concur, formula for number of boats one should have is N + 1, where N is the number of boats one curently has.

If you like to foot 7 at a time, consider a sanger outboard.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 11:26am
Meh, if you want to foot 7 at once, you better get something that can pull better than a single OB... think big block! N+1 Tom, that's perfect.

Adam, I think this is going to be a losing battle. Keeping the boat light may help a little, but really there are only 2 things that are going to be of significant improvement. 1)Use a long rope... yours looks way short. Im talking full length- all 100' of a BI rope *might* get you far enough back to survive that table. But really, the thing that will help you most is 2)stay the heck outside the wake. No better spot to be than the curl.

Honestly, most CC's other than the BFN (or other similar v-hulls) throw pretty crappy barefoot wakes. This includes every Ski Nautique ever made. They are marginally survivable if you have a long enough rope, but you still dont want to spend any amount of time there. Your hull, with its inverted strakes is trying to suck the hull deeper in the water, making the rooster tail and prop wash even more formidable. I dont think that there is a simple solution that is going to overcome that.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 11:50am
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Just go ahead and purchase a second boat - everyone should have at least 2. Besides it is much easier to justify when you are single without kids
Unfortunately I don't think a second boat is in my immediate future...it would be fun, but living in an apartment I don't even have a place to keep the one I've got

But just because I'm not a father doesn't mean I don't have kids to take care of, this week alone I was "babysitting" a 22, 24, and a 25 year old.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Meh, if you want to foot 7 at once, you better get something that can pull better than a single OB... think big block! N+1 Tom, that's perfect.
Hang on now, I never said I was gonna be footing 7 across, the only time I'm around 7 footers you guys will be there anyway and we'll just use your BFN. Its highly unlikely my boat will ever pull more than 2...MAYBE 3, maybe.

1)Use a long rope... yours looks way short. Im talking full length- all 100' of a BI rope *might* get you far enough back to survive that table.
That's not my barefoot line in that screenshot, its just the only one I had that's got a good shot of the wake at speed. That was Hollywood at SJRR getting ready to step off the super ski scat, and he just grabbed whatever rope was attached. I'm pretty sure that's an 80ft wakeboard rope, which I think was full length but may have had 20 ft or so taken out from when Kapla was wakeboarding. In any case, I'm at least 20 ft farther back.

Your hull, with its inverted strakes is trying to suck the hull deeper in the water, making the rooster tail and prop wash even more formidable. I dont think that there is a simple solution that is going to overcome that.
So this actually hits on where my head was at...if those strakes are trying to suck the back end of the boat down (my assumption) could I possibly counteract that but putting 400-500# in the nose? Running 20 I would imagine that would push the whole thing down, but at higher speeds I was hoping maybe it would make the boat plane a little better and raise the ass?

**note, absolutely no engineering knowledge/experience went into this theory.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

So this actually hits on where my head was at...if those strakes are trying to suck the back end of the boat down (my assumption) could I possibly counteract that but putting 400-500# in the nose? Running 20 I would imagine that would push the whole thing down, but at higher speeds I was hoping maybe it would make the boat plane a little better and raise the ass?

**note, absolutely no engineering knowledge/experience went into this theory.

Only one way to find out is try it Adam, I try to accomplish the same thing with the 200 Sport and when I run slalom I load the nose with all extra weight, it makes a difference.   Granted I have extra help with the gate down than you do but the weight up front still is noticeable. I found this out when I skied with 5 people in the boat, 2 went up front to clear the rope and I was like oooh I like that, of course the driver hates it. I've even considered adding some water to our nose bag but I haven't tried it yet.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:13pm
That's encouraging Alan, makes me think I got a shot. I'm definitely gonna give it a try, just wanted to see what some of the brain trust thought...or if anyone was like, terrible idea, you're gonna sink the boat, or that will be too much pressure on the shaft at that speed...probably unlikely, but I'm an idiot so I have no idea.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:13pm
Adding weight up front is definitely going to plant the nose and make the wake smaller, as Alan said. I doubt it will have as significant of an effect on the table and turbulence, but it wont hurt to try. 400-500 lbs up front is probably a bit much though- maybe try 100-200 first and make sure the boat still drives ok?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:16pm
I'll probably play around with a fat sack instead of people, just because its easier for the driver to see when there's not anybody in front of them. I feel like this is going to be a real moving target depending on who's on the boat.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:22pm
And another thing...wake size and shape gets discussed ad nausea, nobody ever mentions the rooster tail. That I think is going to be my hurdle, cause I know that thing smacks me in the knees when I slalom, I feel like trying to foot through that is a recipe for a faceplant. What contributes to size, shape, and far-backness of the rooster tail? Obviously I'm not changing the shape of the hull, but something in my control has to impact that.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:24pm

I'll probably play around with a fat sack instead of people, just because its easier for the driver to see when there's not anybody in front of them. I feel like this is going to be a real moving target depending on who's on the boat.

And when you sink the nose the fat sacks don't give you dirty looks.
. Your boat will handle the weight better than mine but nose weight on the 200 is a job for the driver.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:28pm
Adam, a 100' line will have you behind the rooster tail by a good margin... probably 30-40'. You should be behind it even with a 70' line, which is probably what HW is using in that picture. The size and intensity of the rooster directly contributes to the turbulence and the "wake within a wake" features directly behind it, which are very difficult to foot through by themselves... no way are you going to survive footing in the rooster tail if your rope is that short, no matter what kind of weight youre running in the boat.

You are unlikely to be able to make any measurable change to where that rooster tail occurs (distance from the boat). That is a function of hull shape and boat speed. You might be able to tame the intensity by lightening the boat as much as possible and moving as much weight forward in the boat as you can (as discussed).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:51pm
sounds simple enough, only skinny girls on the boat and everybody moves to the front when uncle deeno's doing work. got it.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 1:34pm
Hydrogate?

..... I personally like the whole "trim tab" concept on the Excels..... but that's a different kettle o' worms!

Zach - what would say about a hydrogate retro-fit, like on Mark's BFN?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 2:33pm
With people you can at least shift the weight back immediately after a run, even for the turnaround.

Running light includes low(er) on fuel.

Definitely 100' of rope, crossings will be rough. You might be able to find a little flat spot on the side of the table to ride out a rough patch of water else "do work" in the curl.

Props to you for going longline and not dangling on the boom.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 2:38pm
And that picture is about as rough as it is going to get. Fully loaded with people, gear and fuel. I don't remember the line length but I know it was a wakeboard rope. I doubt it was 80, more like 60. I had no intention of crossing that rooster.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Props to you for going longline and not dangling on the boom.
The only thing that keeps me on the boom is the driver, and I just don't have one. I feel pretty good about getting on my feet with a rookie driver on the boom, long line is a different story. Will probably do some step offs this weekend to get ready for my trip down south with my dad. Goal is the next time we're all together to get in on some of that 4, 5, 7, 8 man madness.

I also want to learn some wake crossings, I'm just wondering how bad its gonna be with my wake. Guess its gonna be a good ole grip it and rip it.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 2:59pm

Guess its gonna be a good ole grip it and rip it.

That's really the best way to do it behind any boat. Don't think about it. Don't look at it. Don't even think about looking at it.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 3:43pm
Wake crossing in a nautique= mission impossible!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Wake crossing in a nautique= mission impossible!

challenge accepted

bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 3:49pm
I remember Scarpa's bu had a trim plate on the transom.. the table on it was almost as good as a mid 80's BFN. I don't know if the "scarpa plate" had any effect on the rooster tail or just shaped the wake a bit and got it on plane faster. Either way I just deal with my SN wake and let out the line.

Good for you kickin the boom habbit! My advise is leave the ski in the boat and forget about kickin a ski off. I actually think it is easier to deep water behind a boat with a novice driver than worry about a new driver driving with a boom. Just make sure you pick a driver with good eyes so you don't get pulled over debris!

Just be smooth working on the three point and have good posture... keep your knees 90degrees...

Good luck!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 4:31pm
That's interesting Andrew...I mean, your preference for long line to boom with an novice driver. I just find that boom makes up for a lot...both skier and driver.

Here's the way I think about it, regardless of if HW says I shouldn't be thinking-
I can get up on a slalom with anyone driving
I can barefoot once I'm on my feet at speed
I am more confident in my ability to get a rookie driver to speed if I'm on a ski and I know they can't hurt me.
At this point I have exactly two successful long line deep starts under my belt, with an excellent driver...so I am by no means a pro.

When I get down south next week with my dad I'll leave the ski on the beach and let him pull me all day, but its 2:00 on a Friday and I don't even know who's going out with me tomorrow yet, haha
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 5:09pm
Adam,
Too Bad you are from Cleveland... (for multiple reasons, lol) but we both have the same problem! The truth is, I rarely barefoot or ski without a competent driver at hand. I guess what I am saying is it seems when I am on a boom I am more likely to need multiple speeds etc plus beginner drivers aren't used to the way the boat pulls dragging skier on boom and even bury the boom turning sharp the wrong way etc. I even watched a driver smack someone in the head with the boom... just needed to tell the skier hold on... wave coming... but failed to open his mouth.

I guess I hate boating in general with non-boaters... nothing worse than sitting at a dock with 4 grown adults in boat when a wake comes and no one even thinks to hold the boat off the dock.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 5:17pm
I try to make it easy, only turn the boat at idle, I make sure to tell them its going to pull left with me on the boom, and some times I'll even pull the boat around from the water so its pointing the right way, haha
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 6:38pm

Unfortunately I don't think a second boat is in my immediate future...it would be fun, but living in an apartment I don't even have a place to keep the one I've got [IMG]smileys/smiley36.gif" align="middle[/]

Go ahead and get a BFN Adam I have room to store it for you, heck I'll even take it out and exercise once in awhile for ya
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 6:44pm
its that kind of selflessness that makes this site great...actually, I did just see a big block bfn on ebay yesterday for $2500, I was tempted, but then remembered everything else that I need to pay off before buying a boat I don't need...I put it on the craigslist thread if you want a 3rd boat. I'll even bring you your oil pan and teach you to drive it!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic