Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner, Old Boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
koswimmer1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner, Old Boat
    Posted: November-03-2014 at 12:12am
Hello all,

I bought a 1980 Ski Nautique almost a year ago. It sat for almost ten years before that. In spite of that, it seems to be in decent shape. I had the stringers replaced. Carb rebuilt. I'm working through some continued carb issues... it keeps sucking in the gaskets. We've been on the water now for a total of about three hours since I bought it and been towed back to dock once. Frustrating. I'm looking to get the thing up and running reliably. I grew up skiing behind a little 19' Baretta and envying the Nautiques. Now I have one and want it to be the main summertime activity for our family and what my four year old daughter learns to ski behind. I'm just saying hello to everyone and looking forward to picking your brains as I get this thing restored. I'd love to see some pictures of the same boat with trim details if anyone has them. I plan to get the carb conquered and then work on the interior over the winter.

Thank you in advance for any wisdom and insight.     

k            
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 12:48am
Check out the diaries and reference sections. You can find a lot of photos and good information there. There are many knowledgeable people here and they have answered all of my questions. This is an amazing site. I would love to see a few photos..
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 8:34am
Kevin,
Welcome to CCfan. Yes, we'd all like to see pictures! I'm also curious about you having the stringers done. Extent of replacement? Material used?Foam or no foam? Cost?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:38am
Hey,

Stringers were replaced from about a foot from the transom to just under the drivers seat. no foam. the guy that did it for me does all the fiberglass work for several of the local boat dealerships and marinas around here. he was adamant that the wood going back in needed to be the same as what came out (although im not sure i agree with that..) so the stringers are fir. have you guys ever heard of perinneal wood?   its a brand made by one of the spin offs of kodak. treated with acetic acid and has a 30 year below grade warranty.   seems like that would be a great product. its hard to find here in the southeast and even harder for me to get my customers to pay for, but i like it.   (i work on houses. wish i knew more about boats)

k       
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:46am
Kevin,
That's for filling us in. Any treated wood is avoided due to it not being compatible with the resin system. A CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) is recommended and a great start for the epoxy resin. Yes, I forgot to ask what resin he used. Hopefully it was epoxy. Yes on the Douglas Fir.

Don't forget the pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 10:14am
I too had the carb rebuilt on my 80 my a person that really knew Holley Carbs, last spring, and I also still had problems after the rebuild. It was expensive, but I sent my carb to Carolina Carb Specialities in Wilmington, NC. Butch remanufactured the carb. It looked like a new one after he was done and it now works great. It was almost plug and play. The thing that I like about Butch is that he has a flow bench to simulate an engine. Once he rebuilds the carb, he can test it on the bench. He runs mineral spirits through the carb to simulate gas. There is also a place in Jacksonville Florida , National Carb, that many on this site use. They also test the carb on an actual engine. Butch found out that my rear float was out of spec (too heavy) and this was making my carb flood. I inspected it my hand and saw no cracks and could not feel any gas in the float, but it was a few grams off spec. I even had the desirable float material and it was still bad.

If I had to do it over again, I would just purchase a new carb because the new carbs have the tube on the bottom for the vacuum tube. My carb is old and I run the spacer with the tube for vacuum. With the new carb, I would then run a wedge to make the carb more level and pull vacuum from the tube on the bottom of the carb. This would make float adjustments easier to perform due to taking the angle out of the engine. Some on this site have had needle and seat issues with new out of the box Holley Carbs so this is why I went with Carolina Carb in Wilmington, NC.

I am just a hobby guy so be careful taking my advice.

Donald
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 1:57pm
Congratulations on the Ski Nautique. I look forward to hearing you have the carb issue sorted out.

Like you, as a kid the family had two Baretta's. I had a lot of fun in those boats, but I so know what you mean about envying the Nautiques.

As soon as the carb issue if fixed, your will have your cure!

cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 5:28pm
I had carb flooding issues, dripping into carb, and the cause was too much fuel pressure. This should be the first thing checked, and is often the last.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by koswimmer1967 koswimmer1967 wrote:

Hello all,
... Carb rebuilt. I'm working through some continued carb issues... it keeps sucking in the gaskets...

Congrats on the boat, look forward to seeing pics.

Now, when you say "sucking in the gaskets" are you talking about the carburetor spacer gasket http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0054B ?

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:14pm
I've had carb issues too for too long. Mainly minor but annoying. I'm tired of chasing problems and fiddling with having it rebuilt so ordering a brand new one tomorrow from Summit. Them and Jegs seem to have best prices, just an FYI.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:20pm
interesting that you mention carb flooding.   i feel like this is the main issue. i rented a pressure guage from auto zone to check it but it would read low enough to register.   the pump shoots a ton of gas.    looking for a low pressure guage to see what im getting.   

k
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:24pm
if you bought a new carb already a fuel pump is probably cheaper than setting up a guage
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:25pm
the space gasket is the one getting sucked in.   my thoughts on a solution were to change out the bolts for the carb to longer ones and use a thicker carb gasket that wouldn't get sucked in. does this make sense.   thicker and wider as well.   when i installed the carb after having it rebuilt, the gaskets i used were barely wide enough to seal=all the way around.

any insight on the best place to purchase a new (my third) set of gaskets and get the dimensions that i need?   autozone and o'rielly's were a bust.

nice talking to you guys about this stuff. i talk to my wife about it and she says to sell the boat. that would be like giving up.   cant do that.

k

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:28pm
thanks. havent started humting parts yet for the boat so dont exactly know where to buy.   figured id get that info here...   
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:30pm
something doesnt sound right.. i have never seen a base gasket get sucked in unless it isnt squashed down. tell me the setup?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 9:44pm

i rented a pressure guage from auto zone . k

Auto zone? Yup, that's a problem for sure! What range did they lone to you? Hopefully you have the option of not going to that "auto supply" again. I hate Auto Zone!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2014 at 10:59pm
You can get gaskets from Discount inboard marine or AKA www.skidim.com. use discount code Malibu for a 10% discount. Also you can try correct craft parts.com and Nautique Parts.com.
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 10:09pm

interesting that you mention carb flooding.   i feel like this is the main issue. i rented a pressure guage from auto zone to check it but it would read low enough to register.   the pump shoots a ton of gas.    looking for a low pressure guage to see what im getting.   

k

Yeah, a perfect carb will still flood if your fuel pump is putting out too much pressure. My stock pump pegged the gauge at 10 psi, so I got a Holly pump. It still flooded at 7 psi. So I got a Holly fuel pressure regulator that was adjustable with a nut and bolt, the cheapo dial one leaked and was inconsistent. Now at 4 psi, it works perfectly.
This is on a 650 cfm for a 454, but a 600 won't take too much psi either.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic