NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are there any hydroplane owners here?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are there any hydroplane owners here?
    Posted: January-31-2015 at 4:58pm
Does anyone have any experience with small hydroplanes? I would love to see/hear any photos, comments, or owner experiences that anyone can relate. I have had a desire to own a 10-12' like a Jupiter or Wetback since I was small. I have seen a few come up on eBay over the past few years and they are usually very inexpensive. I am really too old and beat up to drive one properly, but that doesn't mean the desire isn't there any more.
Some seem to be still available in kits, but I don't have time/skills to attempt to build one myself, I need to concentrate on the project I already have. I have been reluctant to sell the 1969 Merc 350 I have owned for years on the chance I may find the right hydro someday.

hydorplane kit
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 5:31pm
John, there are several sites out there, although I can't find them in my favorites anymore. Try the APBA. There are people in the Mass. area that still race and come to Maine every spring to Watchic Lake in Standish. There's always boats for sale. I bet if you do a google search for hydroplane racing you'll come up with a lot. From what I've seen, a lot of the kits you see aren't the real race boats, although the one you linked is. I had a Marchetti C Hydro with a Mach 30 racing engine years ago that was a real race boat. That is definitely one of things I've owned that I wish I never sold. One of the racers back then that I bought the engine from was Clark Maloof. If you google his name, you'll find some forums. I believe he still builds boats. Like everything else, buying something used is a better value than buying or building all new.

Poor picture, but this was mine

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 5:32pm
My only experience was with the 8 footers.   3-point and the mini-max.

Half the fun IS the building.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

My only experience was with the 8 footers.   3-point and the mini-max.

Half the fun IS the building.

I'd say that too if I had your skills.
I don't believe the Jupiter or Wetback are competitive race boats any more, but they are classics IMO. Who knows, one could end up as a decoration at the shack up north. Billy, those with fewer skills get their enjoyment from polishing them as opposed to building them.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 5:43pm
Hydroracer.com

Google Clark Maloof and a lot of hydro stuff comes up.

A regular outboard engine will not fit on one of those boats. There designed for a short racing low unit.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Hydroracer.com

Google Clark Maloof and a lot of hydro stuff comes up.

A regular outboard engine will not fit on one of those boats. There designed for a short racing low unit.

I understand that these were not designed for "pleasure/fishing outboards. A Merc 20H or KG7 or KG9 would suit if you want to go fast. I have seen several that have been built for fun rather than going really fast. Some owners fit them with pleasure motors and the transom is a bit taller for this? I saw one that had the standard LU on it so it had FNR and a traditional Mercontrol. I understand you will never get the speed of a KG9 or 20H out of them but they should go pretty well and be a toy for an old fart.This is on the Clark Craft site about the Jupiter:
Although Jupiter is an "out and out" racing hydro, it will take any pleasure motor from 7 hp up ... The weight of the motor rather than the hp will determine the motor to use 110 pounds is about the limit.

Jupiter with standard Merc 200, electric start, and Mercontrol
Jupiter with Johnson 25

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 6:28pm
Those boats go right along with those engines. Having neutral, let alone reverse would be a great plus! And the exhaust won't annoy everyone on the lake.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Those boats go right along with those engines. Having neutral, let alone reverse would be a great plus! And the exhaust won't annoy everyone on the lake.

Not to mention electric start. 3 surgeries on one shoulder and one on the other have made it unpleasant to pull a starter rope at best. A new LI-ON battery puts out 420CCA and weighs under 4lbs. Makes electric start an option over old flooded lead acid batteries.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 7:55pm
My only experience with hydros was when I was a pre teen. A friend repaired one that was destined to the dump. He used window caulking to keep it from sinking. The day of the big test came and he being of a large stature had a hard time getting it to plane off. He finally got on plane and about that time the skeg broke off the bottom. Being uncontrollable, my friend bailed with the throttle locked at full and that hydro took off. Another friends Alumacraft was parked at the pier we were all standing on and the hydro headed straight for the Alumacraft. It ended up with about a 2' deep dent in the hull side. Nether it or the hydro ever saw water again. We all thought it was pretty funny at the time but thinking about in in later years, thankfully no one was hurt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 8:01pm
still funny though
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2015 at 8:07pm
Very funny! Sometimes those most deserving of a Darwin Award are repeatedly denied. My youthful years are testament to this.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic