Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

location of grease fitting for rudder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RKKP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKKP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: location of grease fitting for rudder
    Posted: July-11-2015 at 2:27pm
Hello, I am new to maintaining my 1993 Ski Nautique. I recently took my boat out on the water after being stored for 6 months and once I left the dock my steering wheel would only rotate 20 degrees. so when I drifted away from the dock and tried to loosen the steering wheel by trying to force it, but i didn't think that was a good idea. I swam the boat back to the dock, put it back onto the trailer to see if anything was binding around the rudder. Nothing, so I figured that is was either the cable or maybe I need to grease the "rudder" fitting? I Don't know... anyone have any insight? If I need to grease the rudder fitting does anyone have any pictures of where that would be?
oldman
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2015 at 3:29pm
Move the rudder by hand while on the trailer. Note distance it moves. Disconnect the steering cable from the rudder. Move the rudder by hand. Does it now move freely? Also try the steering wheel now. Does it move now? Most likely steering cable is rusted.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2015 at 4:02pm
Cable! Most rudder ports don't even have grease zurks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2015 at 2:48am
If your '93 is similar to my '94 then there are 2 grease zerks on the rudder assembly. They can be a little tricky to get to with the fuel tank in-place. I disconnected my cable where it meets the ruder arm. Then I was able to get the grease gun bad there to the zerks. I put 4 or 5 handle pumps in and I saw some grease ooze out the bottom.

If the steering wheel is hard to turn, my guess is a bad cable. When a cable goes bad -- really bad -- they can be a nightmare to steer.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic