Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

engine size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jeffro123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffro123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine size
    Posted: August-14-2015 at 1:00am
I just bought a 1978 correct craft with a ford v8 engine but im not sure if its a 302 0r a 351 is there a way to tell what size the eng is ? thanks for any help u guys or gals can give me . I haven't seen anything on the top of the eng that would tell me anything either .
jeffro123
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 1:16am
Just came up on another thread,look at the pictures of the 2 blocks and compair them to yours. Once you see the difference it will be easy to tell what yours is.

link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jeffro123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffro123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 11:47pm
thanks grand poobah the pics helped looks like a 302 in my boat . what do u think about welding a cracked block ? I know there is certain things to do to weld it im just wondering if it will last ?
jeffro123
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 11:55pm
Usually not worth it unless you have the experence and.can do it yourself. You could just get another block and switch parts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Glassdog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:17am
Jeff, I feel your pain! Im in the process of restoring a 63 American skier that had an original 170 cu. in inline 6 Interceptor. (a more difficult motor to find parts for doesn't exist!) Anyhow, I knew of (1) external crack in the water jacket which did not get me immediately excited. As my tear down progressed I had the block hot tanked and (4) cracks were noted in the valley adjacent to the lifters.
So, I have a good friend who does very specialized repairs on large castings, locomotive motors etc. and he offered to give welding a shot. So he magnafluxed it once (no pressure test) and felt we had located everything so he took it for a couple of weeks and worked on it. Baked the block, welded it and sand mounded it for about three days until he got back to it. Anyhow it looked marvelous until the second maganaflux and a whole rash of cracks had opened up on the opposite side. Infuriating!
So, I'm with Gary get another block. Your in a much better position than I was there are ford v8 blocks everywhere. Get a bare block if your internals are in good shape. However remember you will have to have machine work done to keep swapped parts happy, I assume your engine is reverse rotation. This is not a bad thing. because there are a lot of good buys on craigslist that can be maranized, just check over what you are buying and plan on an overhaul.
It took me two months to find a 170 cu. in. Ford inline 6 block (comet engine). I finally found several and was surprised how difficult identifying that vintage of motor was. There were several variants and there were 200 cu. in. l6's ( as I discovered) that were 4 main bearings like my 170 cu. in lurking around and misidentified made just prior to the release of the 250 cu. in. engines that had 6 mains. I almost bought one until block stamps didn't match. So finally I got lucky, I got one with all identical stamps and a block casting code that was the same year and 2 months later in production I had to drive so far out in the middle of nowhere to get it my GPS wouldn't register!!
So good luck, finding another block is much less hair pulling!
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 12:28am
What boat done you have jeff? Ski tique or ski nautique?
1972 Mustang
jeffro123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffro123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 7:31am
Thanks for the help u guys have given me this is a great site glad I joined . What a story glass dog and it looks like ill be replacing the block in the tique , after pulling it yesterday I found a 3x3 hole on the back side of the engine . so my adventure begins lol .
jeffro123
jeffro123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffro123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 7:33am
chevy 350 I have a 1978 ski tique with a 302 ford engine I think .
jeffro123
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic