NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 STRUT BUSHING

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 STRUT BUSHING
    Posted: November-23-2015 at 10:56am
I have tried the search bar and can not come up with my answer. Did I buy the right cutlass bearing/bushing for my 1988 2001. Purchased a 1" shaft x 1-1/4" OD brass.

On a side note, I am going to spend the money and buy a StrutPro tool that allows anyone to replace the bushing/cutlass WITHOUT removing the drive shaft. To offset some of the cost I would be willing to rent it to member of this site for personal use. Please no repair shops. Sorry. I am thinking you PayPal me the cost of the tool and I will send it Priority Mail at the beginning of the week. Then you send it back the next week and I refund your money minus $100. I am told start to finish in under 1 hour and back on the water.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 11:37am
Don't bother with the tool and business plan. Its not a hard job with basic hand tools, and frankly, the tool doesn't work that well. Spend the $ on a decent prop puller that you can share with your friends.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 11:59am
Not really trying to start a business. Just not drop $350 on a one time use tool. Thought someone else might like to use it too. I have a prop puller already. Got it with my new #542. Still need to confirm the cutlass size?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 4:41pm
Yes, the OD of an 88 SN cutless bushing should have a dimension of 1.25", a length of about 6" , and an id of just slightly over 1".

Can't give you exact length of the bushing because I have two shorter non-metallic bearings installed on my 87 (which is the same as an 88) but my original one was just about flush with the front an rear faces of my strut, at most maybe 1/4" shorter on each end..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 4:55pm
David,
John is correct that the "tool" isn't worth the money.
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Don't bother with the tool and business plan.

Just picture taking a slide hammer to a piece of brass tubing with a .035" wall thickness. The contact area is even less than the .035 since it needs clearance to the ID of the strut. You can't pound rubber! It may work half way decent once but then your "business" plan would suffer. Do you really believe everything you see on an internet youtube??

If you don't have an ARE shaft system, this would be a great time to install one!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 5:04pm
^ which is only $65 more than the strut tool. This may not save you time or increase performance but your old hardware has value as a back up or sold
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 6:25pm
Guy's, I hear what you are saying. My problem is knowledge and experience. I am sure I have enough tools to go old school but I have no way to fix anything I mess up in the process. I have tried every boat dealer within a 100 miles of my house and no one is interested. I can't even get a price. If there is anyone close to STL that has replaced a cutlass, and knows what they are doing, I'd pay you the $350 cash.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 6:30pm
drop the rudder, push off the coupler, remove the shaft, replace the bushing yourself with a hacksaw blade, bake the coupler, reinstall everything

not a single expensive tool required, i'd be you already have everything needed.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 7:24pm
If your'e going to spend the money, I'd recommend an A.R.E. double-taper drive shaft instead of a bearing removal tool. The double taper shafts can be purchased at skidim.com or nautiqueparts.com. Pulling the shaft is the biggest challenge with the strut bearing change-out. With the shaft out, the strut bearing removal/installation is a snap.

Just my 2¢ (adjusted for inflation)

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 8:04pm
David,
What are these places telling you as to why they don't want to replace the cutlass bearing?

You say you don't have the knowledge our skills to undertake the job and yet it sounds like you watched some hyped up video demonstration so now you can do it? MANY of our members have taken on jobs they haven't done and been successful. We are always around if help is needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

drop the rudder, push off the coupler, remove the shaft, replace the bushing yourself with a hacksaw blade, bake the coupler, reinstall everything

not a single expensive tool required, i'd be you already have everything needed.

Hollywood's right.

And if you run into trouble, you have this site to walk you through it.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 8:20pm
David,
No one has asked but what makes you feel the cutlass needs changing? Is the shaft sloppy in the cutlass? Do you know when the last time an engine/shaft/strut alignment was done? A cutlass lasts for many years but with bad alignment it doesn't take long to trash them as well as other parts. How about posting some pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 10:38am
Yes I have watched some You-Tube. You all have successfully talked me out of buying the strut pro tool. However my $350 offer still stands until if figure it out. To answer the question about the shops, I keep hearing we don't get into direct drives. About why I am changing, Pretty sure 95%+ it is original and there is enough play I can see it when I grab the drive shaft and wiggle it. Since I spent the money on a new prop and there is some vibration during launch seemed like the right thing to do. Yes I can get some pictures posted, and I planned to put it in the diaries section with the back story on how my wife and I ended up with this specific boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 11:21am
David,
Since you can wiggle the shaft in the cutlass, I confirm it's time for a new bearing.

No one in your area services DD boats? Wow, it must be keeping the I/O manufacturers happy!

As mentioned, we are all here to get you through the cutlass swap. I had a forman one that when confronted with a statement something like "I don't know how to do it". would always come back with saying "you can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid".

I as others have mentioned, spend the money you had figured for the Strutpro on the ARE system. It's well worth it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
I as others have mentioned, spend the money you had figured for the Strutpro on the ARE system. It's well worth it.

Pete, Please explain to me the big advantage of the ARE over the stock system. Hate to do all the lathe work if there is no big gain. Thanks, Duane
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 11:42am
Duane,
It's the taper connection at the trans coupling. The R&R is easy compaired to heat shrinking the interference fit coupling on a single taper shaft. Sound like you are going the make your own. Great but I do have a suggestion. After you machine your tapers at the coupling, do lap them. Even the ARE's need some lapping. Due the limited space, the taper is a short one making the taper fit very important.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 11:45am
Why does he need a new shaft? While the ARE system is nice, if the existing shaft is fine, just remove it, replace strut bushing and reinstall. Some bolts/threaded rods/nuts, socket, oven and hack saw are all the tools you need. Half day effort, 2 people to handle the reinstallation of the coupler is advised.

Put the $350 into the gas tank.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 12:10pm
Duane,
I've got a another thought on the ARE that you are planning on making. Put some wrench flats on the coupling itself. It will help when torqueing the nut to seat the shaft to the taper. Also, you may already know but inside the bore of the coupling are fine threads for the removal nut that is screwed in to push the shaft out of the taper.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

if the existing shaft is fine, just remove it.

This is the unknown.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 12:16pm
That's exactly what I was wondering. The only issue being the engine needs to be removed to remove the shaft in that scenario. Still easily accomplished with some ingenuity and worse case renting a lift. Still WAAAAYYYY under $350 and only needing very basic tools.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 12:18pm
Sorry. I was actually trying to quote Tim wondering why not just remove the shaft if it's good.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 12:42pm
I will most likely never have to do this again while I own the boat. At least that's what I am hoping. There was a lot of regular maintenance that was not being kept up when we got it. I knew it, but we bought it anyway. Part of the story. We were able to use it all last summer with fluid changes and not beating on it. Every time I got some extra money I bought parts with the hope of being able to do a lot of the work over the winter.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 12:50pm
No need to pull the engine, just press the shaft out of the coupler.
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 1:13pm
OK, 2 things. Are we sure there are no set screws in the strut. I have wire brushed the sides and see NO dimples where there might be a set screw. Second what do I use to press the shaft out of the coupling and is there enough wiggle room to leave the rudder on?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 1:18pm
have you tried doing any site searches? your questions have been answered many times over

google "strut bushing site:correctcraftfan.com/forum"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No need to pull the engine, just press the shaft out of the coupler.

Of course you are correct. Complete brain fart on my part. I just find it easier to pull the engine but I have a hoist system that makes it easy.

Eddie
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 2:20pm
Yes, need to remove, not 'drop' the rudder (have a 2nd person handy). Not hard to do & you can grease & adjust packing while at it.

Use a socket & long screws to press out coupler. Only turn screws 1/4 turn each time so as not to distort flange.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 2:29pm
a 5 gallon bucket full of empty beer cans makes a nice rudder catch
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 3:04pm
Pete: that he couldn't find anyone interested to work on it is no surprise. Betcha if he had a newish pricy boat it would be no problem...I had once inquired all around ATL on some potential work to be done. When I told them the model year they all quickly blew me off....including the Nautique Dealer....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by D&C1988 D&C1988 wrote:

OK, 2 things. Are we sure there are no set screws in the strut. I have wire brushed the sides and see NO dimples where there might be a set screw. Second what do I use to press the shaft out of the coupling and is there enough wiggle room to leave the rudder on?

David,
Do check again for the set screws although for removing the old cutlass, backing them off isn't needed. For removing the old, assemble your hacksaw with the blade down the middle of the bushing. Carefully cut through the brassouter shell. A couple places may be needed. Don't worry if you nick the strut slightly. Take a punch to the brass shell and curl in inward on itself. The old show come out.

Yes, explore the site some more. The FAQ thread in this section is an excellent source for info.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic