Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Morse e31047 control question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ubugarrity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubugarrity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morse e31047 control question
    Posted: October-17-2019 at 12:24pm
Hi, I'm restoring a 66 Mustang 16. It's going to have a ford 302 and I have a Morse E31047 control I would like to use. I can't figure out how to set up the controller to get the throttle cable to pull. So can I connect the throttle cable to the bottom of the carb mechanism so it pushes to open the carb?
Typically on the controller, the throttle cable is connected to an arm that points directly to the throttle cable. This will let it start pulling after the trans is in gear. But this particular controller, there isn't enough space between where the throttle cable connects to the arm and where the cable itself is secured to the controller when the arm is pointed straight at it.
I was unable to find any info on this specific controller. I have a MV2 I can use but I'd rather use this one if I can get it to work. If anyone has this controller and let me know how it's connected to carb? Push or pull.
Thanks, John
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2019 at 1:26pm
Without a picture of your controller it’s hard to tell or visualize. But if it does not work in the direction you need at the carb you can always change the direction of the cable at the engine ie bring the cable out over the front of the engine then to the carb as opposed to under the engine and coming back over to the carb.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubugarrity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2019 at 2:05pm
Thanks, didn't think of that. That is the easiest solution.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2019 at 2:12pm
Here's a link to an MV2 manual from the CCF reference section.

I figure that I know and you know that it's not what you have but the push/pull functions and how to swap them are basically the same and the manual tells how to swap.

link

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2019 at 2:39pm
All my boats always used a Pull to open the throttle. Morse on each.
Why do you wish to use a push for the throttle? I would think the cable would last much longer in the Pull set up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2019 at 2:42pm
This looks like some pictures from the internet of your control minus the big mounting plate

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubugarrity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2019 at 4:15pm
I want it to pull but couldn't seem to get it to work. After more trial and error, and a youtube video, I found the slider/pretension was backwards. I flipped it around and it seems to be working correctly now. The slider/ pretension should be compressed while in neutral and then push the cable holder to follow the arm as it moves. This keeps the throttle cable from moving till the shift cable does its thing. I learn something new everyday.
Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2019 at 5:25pm
I think you got it

The manual above talks about reversing the dwell block and the spring and has a couple of pictures to go with it.

Some guy named Rube designed those things..............but they work good.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Some guy named Rube designed those things

I'll say! A PO took out my console and tried to retrofit what I would guess is the MV-1,its a larger foot print model of this posters. There are more than one type of deck on Mustangs with mine being a shorter height gunnel. Never could get it adjusted right,one of the problems being that the throttle lever under the deck always hit the underside of it. Was going to look for one of those smaller controls but then I came across the original setup for my boat,that problem was solved.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic