Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1996 Ski Nautique - Power Loss Upon Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Houston7831 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Houston7831 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1996 Ski Nautique - Power Loss Upon Ignition
    Posted: June-14-2024 at 9:42am
Hi All,

I'm having a very confusing issue.

I have a 1996 Ski Nautique with the Throttle Body PCM Chevy 5.7/350

I was out on the water late last year and was returning to the boat launch when I heard a "pop" at the rear of the engine and had complete electrical power loss.

Got the boat home and didn't start to mess with it until a couple of weeks ago.

Due to several other things going on I replaced the following parts.

Battery (Battery tender said it was bad)
50amp push breaker at the rear of the engine
Starter relay
Had the starter rebuilt.

The problem I am having now is when I try to turn the key over for ignition, I immediately lose power to the dash and the back of the engine has a little "click". I checked the push breaker for continuity and to see if it was blown and it was not. Power returns between 5-20 minutes later but when I try to turn the key over, the same thing happens. 

I'm confused as to why I would intermittently lose power for a period of time and then for it to come back on later just to repeat the issue.

My next thought is to replace the ignition switch.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for this boat that would be awesome, But I can't seem to find one.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks!
1996 Ski Nautique PCM 350
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2024 at 2:37pm
Low voltage. Either a dead battery, or more likely, dirty or corroded battery connections.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2024 at 9:05pm
I'd check for a good clean ground connection where the negative battery cable bolts to the engine (unbolt it and clean the block and cable end) and a good clean ground connection where the starter relay bolts to the engine along with checking the stuff mentioned above.

If you click on the link below and go to page MT17 you'll have a PCM wiring diagram for the engine, not including the injection side of things. Not the best, but better than nothing

It's from the CCF reference section Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic