Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 Ski Supreme overheating

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 Ski Supreme overheating
    Posted: July-08-2024 at 9:31am
My 86 Ski Supreme has a PCM 350 ( engine tag PLH WR L10 ) was running great and suddenly started to overheat. I allowed it to cool completely. I checked the water inlet under the boat and the hoses. Started the engine and it stayed at 100 degrees for 3,5 minutes then started to climb fast. Is the thermostat right in front of the carb? Thought I read 143 degree for new thermostat. Any thoughts on starting out much appreciated. 
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2024 at 10:50am
If you are getting water through initial screen and trans cooler and on to the Raw water pump then the impeller might be need to inspected and or replaced.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2024 at 11:27am
Thanks. Best way to check for water? Remove and inspect  supply hose to raw water after running? Is the plug on top of the main pump a water outlet i could check?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2024 at 1:06pm
Raw Water Pump is an external belt driven pump.  Pulls water from the bottom of the boat and supplies all cooling to your marine engine.  There is usually a filter on the supply hose.  Raw Water Pump impellers usually last no more than 3 years in my area before they either fall apart or get stiff and no longer suck water up properly.   Each pump design has its own unique impeller.  They are usually around $35 and take a 1/2 hour to install.  If you have never replaced one study up you want to get it right.   When you pull yours apart make sure all the blades are intact.  Many times blades peel off and will go into your cooling hoses and plug those.  Don't stop chasing the lost parts till you have them all and could reconstruct your old impeller.  Lost pieces cause overheats later so take the time and find them.  Flush hoses clean after removing them.

Your thermostat at 143* is proper for a Marine Carbureted engine.  It is possible your thermostat stuck and caused your overheat.  Never hurts to replace it if you want a reliable engine.

If you are new to the boat a new impeller is good insurance for the next two years.
Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2024 at 2:07pm
Thankyou for the info. I will post what I find,
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2024 at 7:57pm
If you pop that housing off, right in front of the carburetor just like you said, you'll find the thermostat.

Being an 80's PCM Chevy you should find a physically big thermostat under there. The part number is RP026003 and it carries a big price tag too. Let's just say 100 plus bucks.

These days it a 170 degree that they sell you, the 143 isn't available.

There's a kit that replaces the thermostat housing so that you can use the automotive style thermostat that's smaller, a lot cheaper and easier to find. It uses a PCM R026002 thermostat. The kit is RK025026. Not so easy to find the kit.

Cross your fingers and hope that the original housing was replaced in the past with the kit but that looks like the old housing that takes the big thermostat. Wink

I'd google both thermostat numbers to compare pictures to what you pull out, just to be sure you know what you have. Post pictures  to show what you have.

The raw water pump is a Sherwood G55-2 and the impeller is Sherwood part number 10615K available at lots of places.

I'd at least get a look at the thermostat, test it in boiling water and take the pump apart to inspect/replace the impeller if you don't know when either was last changed, along with the hose inspections etc. mentioned earlier

Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2024 at 3:40pm
Thanks for the great info. I’ll let you know how it goes.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2024 at 4:26pm
You have many great tips to follow above.   

You can test the old thermostat in your kitchen if you have a Meat Thermometer or a IR gun.  Put the thermostat in a pan of Cold Water.  Slowly heat the water like your engine would do, so in 3-5 minutes take the water from cold to 150, hold the temp at 150 and see what happens.  It takes a little time for the thermostat to heat up and open.  If you wait a minute or so and it does not open at 150 try 170, then maybe 200.   The thermostats are usually stamped with the opening temp.  143* for example and they usually open almost exactly at that stamped temp. There is no repair if it does not open replace it.  Your old boat should open around 140 and it should be fully open.
Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2024 at 8:39pm
Again thanks guys for the good info. Checked transmission cooler and it looked fine. Pulled the thermostat and it opened with the boiling water test.Pulling the impeller tomorrow. Already have new thermostat and impeller ordered. Will post a update.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2024 at 7:47am
Got a picture of the thermostat?
Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2024 at 3:00pm
Took off the pump today and the impeller is mostly gone. So I know to check hoses. Remove main pump? Engine inspection? I’m at the cottage on phone and can’t figure sending pics yet. I’m
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2024 at 3:21pm
Start by replacing the impeller.  Then look downstream of the raw water pump for chunks of old impeller.  Or do like most and hope they went on through.  
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2024 at 4:23pm
When the impeller is gone the boat will overheat badly.   Pull the thermostat and with the raw water pump open you can use a hose and back flush the hose to the RWP to clear that side.  There should not be any pieces in the inlet side of the RWP.   Usually, the pieces get trapped up by the thermostat housing, but some will get into your exhaust, so those hoses need to be removed and flushed plus give it a good eyeball into the exhaust water cooling inlet.   

If you have a new impeller, you can see how it is supposed to look.  Gathering the pieces you can tell when you could put it back together like a puzzle.  

A buddy did this when we were on a 4-day camping trip.  Our beach had no drive in access except by boat.  Because this was wrecking his vacation, he kept trying to shortcut it and kept overheating till he finally pulled every hose and got all the chunks recovered.  Best of Luck, hope you find them without too much trouble.
Almost all of the impeller pieces were at the thermostat housing and at the inlet to the exhaust manifolds in his boat but some chunks can stick inside the hoses adding to your fun.

Since then, his wife keeps track of how old the impeller is and REMINDS him frequently what happens when he does not change it on time.   

Never dry start the engine, the Raw Water Pump is lubricated by the intake water.  Dry starts kill the RWP impeller super-fast.   Look into adding a TimmyT for running the engine on the driveway.  Makes the water hook up really easy.

(I admit, before leaving for the lake I will turn my key just long enough to see if the starter is turning with full battery strength or if I have a problem.  In my boat sometimes this quick battery check is enough for the engine to try and start.  I switch off quickly and hope all is OK.  Yes, I know I should not do it this way, but I hate finding a dead battery on the boat launch.)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2024 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Young545 Young545 wrote:

Took off the pump today and the impeller is mostly gone. So I know to check hoses. Remove main pump? Engine inspection? I’m at the cottage on phone and can’t figure sending pics yet. I’m

Main pump....if you mean the circulating pump, nobody really checks that. If chunks got in there, they then make their way into the engine cooling passages, then you'd have to tear the engine apart and look in all the cooling passages

Engine inspection.....mentioned above, you'd be tearing it apart.

Look at the 90 degree inlets to both exhaust manifolds. Unscrew them and make sure there's nothing lodged in the fittings or in the manifolds.

And the suction side of the pump can also have pieces there, unlikely as it might seem.

So kinda like fanofccfan said, slap in the new impeller after a few checks for pieces and give it a shot

Phone pictures ....you need to use IMGBB or some other photo hosting site.

QUOTE=KENO]
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Per Ken's request/suggestion, and per Ken's efforts in finding a relatively easy way to post photos, here is a step by step process.

1.  Have photos you want to post in your phone gallery or on your computer.
2.  Open website imgbb.com
(no need to sign in, sign up, or register unless you want to)
3. click or tap on "select images to upload"
4. Go to your gallery or computer and select photo(s)
(Leave autodelete option on "dont delete")
5. click or tap "Upload"
6.  In the "Embed codes" box, scroll to and select  "BBCode full linked"
7. in the box at the bottom of the page where the photo URL shows up,  tap or click "copy"
8. Open your CCF reply and tap and paste or click and paste.
9. Voila, its there. (Note: it wont show up until you view preview or post it)

I suppose 8 steps sounds like a lot, but its mostly quick easy point and clicks (or taps)  Goes quickly and easily.  Give it a try.

Added this here so it is sticky or pinned Smile

And added this link to the You Tube video that Larry made so there are written instructions and a video showing how to do it.

Written and video instructions all in one spot Wink

Good idea Marty

Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2024 at 3:59pm
Here is the bad news, I removed and flushed all hoses, Ran water thru the main pump, Have not foun much impeller parts. Awaiting impeller.
Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2024 at 4:27pm
Forgot the most important pic.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2024 at 7:16pm
Well no wonder it overheated, it's a hawt lookin' Supreme Wink ..........except for the bag of manure that photobombed it's way into your picture

I see it has the big, old, expensive thermostat.

Did you remove the elbows at the front of the manifolds to get a look at the elbows and the entrance to the manifolds

About all you can do now is put things back together and take it for a spin and keep an eye on temperature.

And  make sure the suction and discharge hoses are on the right pump connections, otherwise it won't pump any water and you'll destroy your new impeller.

You'll most likely be just fine.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2024 at 9:36pm
Those pieces are in your cooling system somewhere.  
I would pull the exhaust cooling hoses like Ken Mentioned and search for more pieces, you can look into the exhaust cooling inlet with the hose off and blow water back through the hoses. towards the pump while they are off.   If water does not want to flow freely you might run a long wire through to help purge your pieces of impeller.  You are apart now, just a little more time and you will know it is clean where you inspected.  You should be back up and running soon.  If your new impeller is correct and fits order a spare now and keep it in the boat.   I have not needed my spare yet but have shared it with other boaters a couple times while out on a lake somewhere.
Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2024 at 4:21pm
Thanks for all the info.Had to go home. Have the parts next week. Will give you guys a update. 
Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2024 at 5:12pm
Do I need to precharge hoses with water before starting?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2024 at 2:23am
Hook up water, turn it on, start the boat.

Young545 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2024 at 6:59am
Ski Supreme back up and humming!!! Big thanks to KENO, MrMcD, and fanofccfan for all the help. I changed the impeller and decided to reuse the old thermostat since it tested ok. I cut off the ends on 3 hoses as they were splayed and cracked. Started right up and stayed around 150. Thanks again for taking care of a newbie. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2024 at 8:25am
Good news!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2024 at 10:04pm
The first Lake test will confirm if your boat is ready to go.   Pay close attention to the temp the first outing.  Good Luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic