Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to set timing correctly?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to set timing correctly?
    Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:07pm
OK, this is going to seem pretty basic to you wrench turners, but how do I set the timing on the motor in my 1990 SN? It has the PCM Ford 351 engine and Prestolite distributor with bolt down cap. The manual specifies a timing setting of 10 degrees BTDC at 600 RPM.

I see a timing mark on the belt pulley and pointer on the front of the motor, but no calibration marks. What the secret?

Thanks for any help on this.

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:17pm
uncle buck
Do you have a timing light. There should be marks on the balancer, sometimes you need to high light them if they are hard to see. Then you hook the timimg light up to the number one spark plug wire. Run the boat until it's at normal temp. Shine the timimng light on the pointer and figure out where your timing is right now. Then advance or retard timing as needed to get in spec. If I missed anything someone else will chime in shortly. Giving directions to set timing is like giving directions to my house, used to doing so might left out a small step not on purpose though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 2:32pm
No, my timing light was lost when we moved a few years ago. I'll pick up another one.

Your directions are excellent. I found the marks on the balancer. Looks like PCM may also have made a large mark on it at 10 deg. BTDC, right where it is supposed to be set.

Many thanks.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2007 at 11:10pm
You didn't mention if you ignition system was electronic or still has breaker points in it. If it has points, you will need to set the gap (adjusted with a dwell meter) before you adjust the timing. The dwell meter is connected to the distributor side of the coil and ground. Double check the spec but I think it is 31 degrees of dwell. You are correct on the 10 degree BTDC timing adjustment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 12:04am
It still has breaker points. According to the PCM manual for my engine, the breaker point gap is supposed to be set at .018 and dwell at 29 to 33 degrees - so you are right on the money.

I'm planning to get that done first thing in the morning and take her out for a test drive. I just installed a new battery, starter, and starter relay and need to adjust the packing gland on the shaft log to make sure that new starter stays nice and dry.

Thanks for your help and advice.

PCM 351W with D.U.I.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 8:41am
uncle-buck,
sorry forgot to mention the points setting, I switched distributors this year so it slipped my mind..
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 10:20am
uncle-bunk,

I'm not a wrench turner either but I'm learning more and more from this site. I set the timing in my boat for the first time this summer. It's not that hard. One tip that helped me out is that when you loosen the distributor hold-down bolt, don't loosen it too much... just to the point that you can move it with good resistance. That way you'll be able to dial in that 10 BTDC without it accidentally moving on you. Also I found it helpful to put a small mark indicating the position of the distributor before you make changes, then a mark at the 10 degree mark just for reference.

Hope that helps.

Joe D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2007 at 12:07pm
That's good advice, thanks. I've set the timing on the boat before, but it was more than 12 years ago. Will plan to use some liquid paper to make those marks.

Yes, this is a great site and I really appreciate the contributions of knowledge and experience that so many of its members like you make.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 11:21pm
take some chalk and rub it on the mark on the crank then wipe it off lightly so the chalk stays in the mark indent. Or you can take a hack saw and run it over the mark to make it more pronounced.
'86 2001 800hrs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic