Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to change v-drive oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to change v-drive oil
    Posted: September-22-2007 at 8:41pm
I want to winterize and change my oil in the v-drive unit. First of all, when i check the unit it looks like transmission fluid. I know that it should be 30w. I just bought the boat. I cannot get a wrench on the oil strainer. It looks like the gas tank is in the way on the front side and something else is block the wrench in the front. I do not believe the water drain plugs have ever been removed. I ran the boat until the anitfreeze/water mixture came out of the exhaust. Is that enough?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 9:47pm
The oil may have been sucked out on previous fluid changes. It's a lot easier!!

Did you drain the block, manifolds, cooler and J pipe before you sucked up the antifreeze mix? If so, it will be fine if it started coming out the back. Don't forget that antifreeze is not required if the engine is drained. It is only a safety factor that marinas with stupid mechanics started 30 years ago. It also gives marinas the opportunity to call the process of winterization complicated. This way they can charge the 100's of $$ !!

Edit: does your manual say to use the 30W oil? I know there are some trans's that can now use ATF but when they were made the 30W was used. Eric should be able to comment on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic