NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When the older guys retire

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When the older guys retire
    Posted: February-07-2008 at 8:14am
John and Gary, I get this funny feeling that none of the expertise is passed down to the new guys comming in. Our T1 line went down that we use for our DSL here at work. It's been a real pain with all the finger pointing but the bottom line is it did turn out to be a Ameritech line issue somewhere outside. It took all the "experts" almost 3 days to figure it out!

The one thing that I really discovered is how dependent this world has become on the Internet!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 10:19am
to think i can remember my first wife going on the computer with Prodigy and at the time she was spending alot of time on it and i thought, how stupid it was, i though it would never catch on
"the things you own will start to own you"
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 10:42am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The one thing that I really discovered is how dependent this world has become on the Internet!!

Ya got that right Peter!
Burns my ass, running an engineering dept. the computers go down and everyone sits back - can't do any work. No one knows how to run a pencil anymore!

I think, no matter what bussiness your in, the older "commen-sense, work around the problem" guys are fading away. The young bucks rely on technolgy to do it for them.

My view is that the computer is a tool. No different than a hammer. You run the tool the tool doesn't run you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 11:28am
84, I'm still from the old school. I have my drafting table next to me and use it almost every day. There are times that I do wish I had some CAD in me though. The other day I was asked to step in and help one of the younger guys with a project that he had taken off in a bad direction. I drew and then gave my ideas to him. He had the whole idea solid modeled in less time than it took me to draw the first step!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 12:24pm
The art of a good pencil drawing has become pretty much just an art with the newer cad programs, the lower to midrange programs like solidworks are so easy to learn and use it is usually easier for me as an engineering manager to solid model something and give it to designer to be detailed than it is for me to make a sketch and get someone to model then draw it up. If you can't beat em... join em.

I have a computer in my grungy barn basement shop, and can't wait to get the internet on it. I often find myself running the mile to the house to look something up when working on a truck or boat project, even if its just parts availability or pricing. Hate to spend hours sand blasting welding and machining to save a part that I then find I could have gotten down the street brand new for 15 bucks.

I do agree with your assessment of what happens when people retire, I have spent my career in engineering departments recovering from massive buyouts during the 90s when anyone that could put together a power point presentation could become a CEO and get paid big bucks going from company to company raising profits by buying out all the people with experience, slashing pension benefits, and cutting R and D costs. Most of these guys got a new and better paying job doing the same thing long before the chickens came home to roost a few years later when the companies had no new products to bring to market and no people who knew how to get new products to market. Slow process to recover that lost knowledge.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 12:45pm
It has changed the real estate appraisal business in a big way. It used to be, it was hard to start your own business because you needed at least a few appraisers to generate enough work to pay for the secretary, who was needed to type reports and do all kinds of clerical tasks. Everything was written in pencil, and she, (it was always a she and the appraisers were guys, that's changed, too)typed the reports.

Because of computers and the internet, there are many independents that work out of their house. Only problem is, if something goes down, I'm shut down. No more flipping through books by candlelight and writing things up with a pencil.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 9:08pm
Pete: I am not sure abourt Gary but I bet he'll agree....if a T1 in our area was down certain of us guys did not go home till it was back up. Worked many a all nighter. I just never felt that i had a "9 to 5" job. Whatever it took to get the customer back up well thats what it took. Missed a few Holidays and lots of dinners and bowling nights. Thats why I loverd the partner I had...he never wanted to go home at 5 either. Some of the guys now...well they are cleaning up at 3:30.

Bet if I worked with Tim that wouldn't be a problem. He strikes me as a "old" young guy. Or a guy like JEFF KOSTIS. Man I loved working with guys like that.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 9:16pm
What happening here Pete is this- Before a couple of weeks ago the T-1 repair was a seperate department,so when a repair ticket was dispatched a T1 person and a cable repairman were sent out at the same time.Now their training us to do the work and the T-1 guys will be thrown into the pool of regular repair work.This way we will all be confused.They sent out a trainer,who by the way never did the work,and for 3 days gives an overview.I lucked out, my manager isn't going to send me.So what happens in the end then is this- You go to this overview class and 3 weeks later they give you one,you stand there scratching your head because what your looking at isn't the same as they showed you, then your manager who's not even sure what end of a phone to talk into tells you your not working fast enough.The old days where you rode with a senior tech to learn are gone just like Ma Bell.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2008 at 9:26pm
Hey John you'll shake your head at this.We have a manager who tells her guy's if they can't fix it in 90 min to give it back to dispatch.Then when one of us gets it we call our boss to let him know and the fireworks begin.I had one yesterday,snowing so hard you can't see,my good buddy who's a cable repairman in her crew was told to return one for a bucket.So much snow a bucket truck can't even get close to the pole anyway. Called my boss,he takes it away from me, puts my buddy back on it and sends me to help.As you know a much better way to do it at least were not running around in circles doing something that had already been done.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

We have a manager who tells her guy's

There is our first problem right there.

But I know just what you mean....funny how things are just the same over in Ohio.

Some things I sure don't miss.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 8:11am
John and Gary, The first day the finger pointing was at a equipment failure and not a actual line fault. After all the managers were done talking to the "techs" on that first day then the cable guys got involved. I guess no one thought about just sticking the tone generator on one end of the line and checking!! Of coarse from my end, I'll never get the full or true story!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2008 at 10:39am
It's the same all over John because a certain regional upstart is calling the shots.A company who got to where they are today not by expertise but by not spending any money.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 2:33pm
They are really watching the duration time for us to fix or prove trouble out of our offices on T1's and above out here in Ca. I'm sure it's probably the same for your NTechs out there. The company is really watching these outages.
Kurt
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2008 at 10:48pm
Kurt; They watched the "dispatch out" time in Ohio too...you had to be on the job in a certain amount of time. But once you were there your boss didn't want you taking more then 90 minutes to fix the trouble...or you had to kick it back.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 1:52pm
How's this for stupidity?
The outside guys are behind because of the storms. Management is sending maintainence splicers on regular repair tickets. They are told that if the trouble is in the cable, they have to refer it to cable maintainence and then go on another regular repair ticket. They're playing a numbers game that's going to catch up with them someday.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 2:56pm
Unbelievable...but that is EXACTLY what the dispatch managers were doing in Ohio. Then after kicking the ticket back...you would get it again on a "cable" ticket 3 days later. All the while the poor sub..who you could have fixed the first time out..is still out of service.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 4:21pm
Conversation between a tech and a customer:

Tech: "I'm sorry, the trouble is in the cable, we'll have to send a splicer out to fix it."

Cust: "How will I know he's a splicer?"

Tech: "He'll be driving a bucket truck."

Cust: "But you're driving a bucket truck."

Tech: "I know. I'm a splicer."

Cust: "Then why don't YOU fix it?"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 5:59pm
Kurt, I started this thread and addressed it to John and Gary knowing their background in the phones. Sorry that I didn't know you were too!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 6:18pm
Too bad business can't charge back for loss of revenue when the service goes out. The providers probably have CYA language in the contract against that. As long as they don't have to be accountable for their performance, not much will change.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 6:46pm
Although sometimes we all gripe about it, the telephone is one of the most reliable of the utilities when you consider the millions of lines that work every day without problems. And most of our plant is in some of the most extreme of invironments. If you had a problem last month or last year you seem to remember it well, but when your power goes out for an hour here and there, it's no big deal.   When we do have a cronic problem with a line I'm sure the other guys will all agree that nobody wants to see it fixed more than we do. We HATE cronic trouble tickets.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 6:58pm
LOL at your "conversation".....'cause it is just what happens.

My last couple a years....when I wasn't underground...I was the cronic guy in our area. Loved 'em. The boss didn't mind because I was by far the slowest guy in the garage. But when I finally did get done...they stayed fixed. Had a thick folder of letters that I would have to pull out at the end of the year if I had a new boss when we talked about "results".

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 9:36pm
I had to work today,granted it was my choice,but it never got above 5. I don't want to talk phones, I want to think warm thoughts about boats
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2008 at 10:50pm
Think about visiting your Dad in the Keys and stopping at your new buddy's house in Lake Wales.

5...you are killin' me....even tho I know it is doubletime for you all week. Was 53 here this am and I was cold. But me and Eddie did foot yesterday.....well he footed...I tried....still can't get bacerds.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 1:58am
John I'd like to but I'm only flying down for a long weekend.I had to look up Lake Wales and I see it's near Lakeland where my Grandmother lived in the 60's,small world.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 3:45am
Well maybe next time...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic