Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where to ski in March?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to ski in March?
    Posted: October-27-2004 at 10:15pm
My wife and I are talking about taking vacation during her Spring Break (she's a teacher) in mid-March. I'd like to take the boat and get some ski time in but I'm not sure exactly how far South I'd have to go to find warm weather. I live in central Iowa, so the shorter the drive the better.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2004 at 6:48pm
you need to further than Tulsa OK -
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2004 at 9:07pm
I'd say your best bet is the Gulf Coast. What about you Houston/Clear Lake folks? Is the water still cold in March?

I live about 30 miles North of San Antonio, TX. The air temperature is warm in March but the lake water is still kinda chilly (you scream when you jump in). It didn't bother us too much when we were teenagers but now...
If you have a wet suit, it would be great. Are you interested in pulling your boat that far? If you are, I can send you some info on places to go. One lake has nice camping, the other has some nice condos and great golfing.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2004 at 11:45am
I live in Clear Lake. It get s cold here (sometinmes). Come on down! I'd winterize my CC but winter only lasts a week (or two during a real cold spell). It usually comes sometime between January and February. Last year the temp dropped to 30 Deg for a day or so. So it does get real cold here but usually not too cold to ski.
Somebody tell me about snow. Is that the white stuff you see all over the ground in post cards?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2004 at 11:49am
BTW, Iowa to Clear Lake is not that far. I bought my CC on Ebay and had to trailer it back from Vermont to Houston on a cheesy small wheel trailer. Now THAT was a trip. I did accumulate some stories along the way but that makes the boat even more special. I recommend everyone do this.
97sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2004 at 12:10pm
Jim in Houston. Yes that white stuff you see in post cards is snow. It ends our ski season. It must be nice to ski year round. But that is what makes spring time so special up north. I start skiing when the water temp. hits 45 degrees.
life is short live it!!!
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2004 at 12:14pm
Yeah, I'd pull my boat down and we'd probably be camping so any suggestions on places to go would be great.

30 deg. for a day or 2 must be nice. Here in Iowa we can have temps in the 30's from Sept-May and it can get as cold as -30.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2004 at 12:44pm
thats nuts, i complain about our winters. i dont remember it getting below freezing last year, maybe 32 in the middle of the night.our water temp doesnt ever get as low as 45. burrr we ski in new braunfels all year too.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2004 at 7:11pm
Carefull 88. You'll be filling up our already crowded freeways. Also, I think you are right - I don't think we had a freeze last year.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2004 at 9:11pm
yeah but the snowbirds couldnt tolerate our hot a$$ summers.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2004 at 12:54am
I grew up on Lake Dunlap in New Braunfels (learned to ski behind a 14' Jon Boat). My wife's parents were members at Lake Breeze on Lake McQueeny (where she learned to ski). We're planning to teach her 10 year old daughters (twins) to ski in the spring.
We still live in New Braunfels but not on the lake (damn). Maybe one day (soon, hopefully).

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2004 at 2:32am
AWhite70--
Here are some links to check out. I'd recommend Canyon Lake. It's roughly between San Antonio and Austin. It's a US Army Corps of Engineers Lake with tent camping available on the lake shore. Ski all day, anchor the boad right at the campsite at night.
http://www.canyonlakechamber.com/
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/canyon/

Also, Inks Lake State Park is nice. Tent camping also available here.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/inks/inks.htm

Lake Austin and Lake Travis (Austin Area) are great. Lake Austin is full of the younger wakeboarder types and there are bars and restraunts on the lake. I don't think Lake Austin has camping. Lake Travis is known for Hippie Hollow (clothing optional) among other things. There is camping available at some of the parks.
http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/hippie_hollow.asp

Horseshoe Bay is a really nice upscale place where you can rent a lake front condo with a boat slip and play on some awesome golf courses.
http://www.highlandlakes.com/horseshoebay/

I Live in New Braunfels, TX and there's camping here on the river, but not on the lake. The lake is maybe five-ten miles away from the camping. There's lots to do here as well.
http://www.river-fun.com/

Check out the links and let me know if you have any questions. The water will be what I consider cold, but certainly not 45 degrees!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2004 at 1:02pm
I agree with Jimbo except Canyon Lake sometimes has a swirling hole in the water, near the damn, that will suck you down to be bottom of the lake. It moves around like a tornado in the water. This thing scared the wilies out of me when I took my Scuba check-out dive at Canyon Lake - I've never gone back. It looks like a bad dream or something out of the movies when you see it.
jcawley3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcawley3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2004 at 6:43pm
Savannah river in augusta, Ga is nice in march 68-73 water year round
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2004 at 4:39pm
I try to do the same thing for school breaks when my kids are off. the way I see it I can either pay for daycare for the week they are off school or I can pay for all of us to go on vacation that week – not tot tough a decision as long as I’ve got vacation time available.

Take a look at Armistad National Recreation Area http://www.nps.gov/amis/

I don’t have any personal knowledge or experience, but it sure looks like it could make for a great vacation with plenty to see and do even when you aren’t skiing. Weather should be warm enough in March, but might be a bit longer drive than you were looking for.

Any of you Texans ever been here? What do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic