NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Pete here is one place I disagree with you.With all your tickets and accidents lately, your status as safety officer has been revoked

On the contrary, I have found that having non-original lights on your trailer can lead to an accident! Right Pete?

Maybe if those LED lights werent so hideous I wouldnt mind them so much. If they were offered in the same shape as the originals, I might consider them. Its true that LED's last longer than incandescents, and light up quicker when the break pedal is depressed- but claiming them to be a significant safety device is a serious stretch!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

On the contrary, I have found that having non-original lights on your trailer can lead to an accident! Right Pete?

We'll both be in wheel chairs (I before you) at the old folks home and I still be getting heat from you!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 1:49pm
Tim, they are much brighter and do light up quicker. I put a set of them on the trailer we used to move the Chris Craft this winter. Really nice to have the peace of mind that people can see me through all the blowing snow on the way up there. And when the boat is back there about 24' the peace of mind is well worth the extra few bucks.

I don't see them as necessary on a little Correct Craft trailer tho unless, like you said, you can get them in a more original form.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 3:02pm
Sorry guys I have been real busy this week and have not had any time to get my CCF on. Been chainsawing up all the debris that came down in a big storm earlier this week.

Eric I will get by the Cuda in the next few days and try to figure out a punch list for the trailer.

In regards to the LED's... Definitely keeping them. Sorry to all you originalists but they don't offend me with their "hideous" appearance. They dont burn out every time they get wet and unlike the old ones you can actually see them during the day. I'll take the point deduction for the piece of mind that my lights work. Wait till I paint the zebra stripes on it you guys are really gonna ish.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 3:28pm
Oh man!..... gotta just get my own, I guess!

Hey Keegan, we need to get together..... It would be fun to bring the Tique down to run on Belews with your Skier.... of course, with both of our fabulous LED trailer lamps!   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

They dont burn out every time they get wet.

Keegan,
You're supposed to unplug the trailer lights before you put the trailer in the water!! That way you won't dunk a real hot bulb (from hitting the brakes) hitting the cold water!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:30pm
Seems like a win win situation with those LEDs. Fairly similar to original, very bright and you don't have to remember to unplug the trailer. At least the trailer's correct.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Keegan,
You're supposed to unplug the trailer lights before you put the trailer in the water!! That way you won't dunk a real hot bulb (from hitting the brakes) hitting the cold water!

I know but I still like my LEDs. Never could figure out why they bother to call the old lights "marine" if they can't handle getting wet. If its for "marine" use its gonna get wet. Duhhhhhhh! Marty says I should do the zebra stripes in purple but purple and red don't match so maybe pink.

Steve sounds like fun. I probably won't get out to Belews till after White Lake but its on after that!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Fairly similar to original

Eh, your definition of "fairly similar" must be different from mine, Bruce. If you mean that theyre both red and light up, then I guess I agree!

Ive had the old school style round lamps on my #2 for several years now (3?). I always manage to forget to unplug them, though I know I should since theyre not sealed. Somehow I still havent blown a bulb yet.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:41pm

Keegan,

There are SO MANY RULES to keep it original........! (except the motor, the ignition and the prop, of course.....wait, the floor too... and no foam.... and....) Well, maybe the rules ARE more flexible.....Ha!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 5:41pm

Ive had the old school style round lamps on my #2 for several years now (3?). I always manage to forget to unplug them, though I know I should since theyre not sealed. Somehow I still havent blown a bulb yet.

I've never unplugged the lights and never burnt one out from the water.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 5:47pm

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Fairly similar to original

Eh, your definition of "fairly similar" must be different from mine, Bruce. If you mean that theyre both red and light up, then I guess I agree!

"fairly similar"

BTW, I too am very forgetful on unpluging the trayler lights and can't remember the last time I've blown one! Keegan, is Marty sending you bulbs from his work? Maybe he's sending you the ones made in China??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 5:59pm
My ramp is one mile away, so I never plug the lights in anyway. And I never have time to deal with them not working when we're going to a reunion, so a new set of LEDs is in my future.

Pete, I can't believe the free ride you get when it comes to trailers.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 6:12pm

BTW, I too am very forgetful on unpluging the trayler lights and can't remember the last time I've blown one! Keegan, is Marty sending you bulbs from his work? Maybe he's sending you the ones made in China??

Thats funny, I seem to remember as a kid, we were always blowing the lights. Then we mounted a second set on top of the guide posts, and wired them in parallel to the originals. Ever since we did that, I can't remember blowing a light out in the original set.

BTW, the ones mounted on the top of the guide posts are the same light fixtures as the originals, even though the configuration is NOT original...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 6:56pm

[/IMG]

BTW, I too am very forgetful and can't remember   

?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 7:05pm
Gary-- Get Mary Francis to wash your mouth out with Borax or wash that dirty mind out with Acid!

You piling on now! Joining Donald I see! We have enough 's on here!!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 7:10pm
Check out Keegans fenders. I slotted the holes so we could install carriage bolts!

66 Skylark
93 SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 7:26pm
Marty,

I am just providing constructive criticism.

Donald
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2011 at 1:59am
Lookin Good!

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 1:39am
Thank you Marty for taking the time to teach me how to do so many things. Today we did the bearings in both hubs. This was another first for me and I am really happy with the end result. Will be bringing the red baron home tomorrow to start the gelcoat repair.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 1:44am
All ready to go except for the pads on the guide poles and bow stop.

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 1:45am
All ready to go except for the pads on the guide poles and bow stop.

1973 Skier
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 1:28pm
TimB and PeteB   this is for your VIEWING PLEASURE!!

I HOPE THOSE LED'S BLIND YA'LL !!!
        just joking guys!
66 Skylark
93 SN
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 1:44pm
OMG - you guys are REALLY pushing it! You EVEN have clearance lights -

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!!!!   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 3:01pm
I'm feeling kind of queasy!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 3:03pm
Great looking trailer, Marty. Looking forward to seeing the boat on it!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

OMG - you guys are REALLY pushing it! You EVEN have clearance lights -

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!!!!   

Clearance lights are original, no problem there!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 4:36pm
Whew..... dodged a bullet!....

Seriously, guys - looking good! Now I know a good trailer repair shop is just down the road..............
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 4:49pm
Keegan,

Is that a new Axle?

Looking good.

Donald
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 7:15pm
Donald, PO changed the axle. The frame of the trailer is bent, like it was jack knifed. It may have damaged the axle in that accident. When we tore into the BRGS-- one side was real loose! It had 1 1/8" brgs, Should've had the 1" inner diameter brgs in it. I couldn't believe it. Didn't damage the spindle either. Had to really get in there with the emery cloth though.

But it's finished--except for the pole pads. It was a rough week getting this thing knocked out. Mine still sitting in the corner. I might get lucky and get it done for White Lake.

Final pics from me guys.

66 Skylark
93 SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic